Great new Allan and Son's Bible on the way!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
As most you know, I am a King Jimmy man! My personal favorite edition being the Oxford Clarendon Blackface. I have a pre-order with my Pal Nick Grey, for a BROWN Highland Goatskin edition! Should be out in a few months?....Any-Who, it is a GREAT size, nice font!!! Bertrand has a pic of a brown Clarendon on his site (it is calfskin), calfskin is a VERY nice Bible Leather, Goatskin...little pricier but more durable and a nicer tactile sense, In my humble opinion. So, if you use the AV and have or want an Allan Bible....this is worth a check-out! Looks like a gem!:cool::cool::cool::2cents:

You will love the Allan's binding. Everything I've seen from them is exceptional. And, yes, the Highland Goatskin is sublime.

You will love the Allan's binding. Everything I've seen from them is exceptional. And, yes, the Highland Goatskin is sublime.
LOVE them!!!! I give them as gifts, I cherish the ones I have!!! OLD-WORLD Craftsmanship in the Allan.:):):):) That is why Bertand and I plug them! :book2:

Last edited:
My Allan Bible came two days ago. It feels great in my hands (its the highland goatskin) and is easy to read. I got the "Allan Oxford Longprimer Ref Ed. (KJV) Highland Goatskin" from Evangelical Bible.

Tell us how the Bible is when you get it :)

Oh man, you are so blessed!

I'm really your long lost little brother, when you outgrow one, remember your little brother likes hand-me-downs. It's like winning the lottery! Your lost family crawls out of the woodwork. :lol:

I bet your whole house smells grand when it comes. Enjoy!

My Allan Bible came two days ago. It feels great in my hands (its the highland goatskin) and is easy to read. I got the "Allan Oxford Longprimer Ref Ed. (KJV) Highland Goatskin" from Evangelical Bible.

How do you like th e Longprimer? This is the edition I am interested in.

How do you like th e Longprimer? This is the edition I am interested in.

I really like the Longprimer. The reason I went for the Longprimer as opposed to the Clarendon is the fact that the Longprimer is bigger. My friend got the Clarendon and returned it because it was too small.

The Longprimer has two ribbons and there is nothing wrong with the Bible. I read some reviews in the past where people have complained about some pages, but this one is perfect. I would recommend the Longprimer to anyone who wants a little bigger bible, its perfect In my humble opinion. Otherwise the Clarendon is just as good.

Both feel great to hold, and the text is easy to read.

Here is a review, probably most of you have already looked at:

Bible Design and Binding: R. L. Allan's Oxford Long Primer in Highland Goatskin (Longprimer)

Bible Design and Binding: R. L. Allan's Oxford Brevier Clarendon Reference Edition (Brevier Clarendon)

OK, I'll bite . . .

Most of my Bibles are inexpensive leather ones (of whatever translation).

Anyone know of a chart/graph/etc. comparison that shows the pros and cons of Oxford vs. Cambridge on higher end (e.g., goatskin?) KJVs? Plus, what would your recommendation be for middle aged eyes (i.e., no teeny tiny print but no large print either!)?

OK, I'll bite . . .

Most of my Bibles are inexpensive leather ones (of whatever translation).

Anyone know of a chart/graph/etc. comparison that shows the pros and cons of Oxford vs. Cambridge on higher end (e.g., goatskin?) KJVs? Plus, what would your recommendation be for middle aged eyes (i.e., no teeny tiny print but no large print either!)?
Dennis if you are looking for a AV with a font that is "midway" between smaller and large print, I like the Allan Longprimer, for a really good review check Bertrand's Bible Bible Blog I am pretty sure he has a review of the Longprimer......and some pics.

I'll second the Longprimer. Another one that is easy, at least for my eyes, is the Cambridge Cameo. I have a wider margin edition. I believe they are still printing it. I know they made a run of them a few years back. It is a classic typeset. It is 8pt Medieval Clarendon, and is remarkably easy to read for the type size. It is also contains 'proper spelling' as an AV should, in my opinion.

Frustration!

I want brown, NOT full yapp, and either KJV or NKJV (I would prefer the NKJV). So far, the most interesting ones were either meant to be read by 20 year olds with 20-20 vision or are full yapp.

What about the KJV Concord Reference Black Goatskin CD266? Is there anything like it (size and style) in some color other than funerial black?

Frustration!

I want brown, NOT full yapp, and either KJV or NKJV (I would prefer the NKJV). So far, the most interesting ones were either meant to be read by 20 year olds with 20-20 vision or are full yapp.

What about the KJV Concord Reference Black Goatskin CD266? Is there anything like it (size and style) in some color other than funerial black?
Boo-Hoo! Dennis!:um: Full yapp is a very nice old-world feature. It is better than the concord, I own both.:book2:

I'd agree with Etexas' comment about full yapp. I regret not owning one at present. It really does protect the text block. That's important considering the places I haul my Bible.

Our Church uses NIV. I have a smaller ESV Allan. Is there a Larger print NIV Allan? I'm not seeing it on Evangellical Bible's site....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back