Great Calvin quote on "Free Will"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
Hey, I read this last Lord's Day and just had to share it with y'all:

Were any one to ask them, Is not God necessarily good, is not the devil necessarily wicked, what answer would they give? The goodness of God is so connected with his Godhead, that it is not more necessary to be God than to be good; whereas the devil, by his fall, was so estranged from goodness, that he can do nothing but evil. Should any one give utterance to the profane jeer that little praise is due to God for a goodness to which he is forced, is it not obvious to every man to reply, It is owing not to violent impulse, but to his boundless goodness, that he cannot do evil? Therefore, if the free will of God in doing good is not impeded, because he necessarily must do good; if the devil, who can do nothing but evil, nevertheless sins voluntarily; can it be said that man sins less voluntarily because he is under a necessity of sinning?

Calvin Book 2, Ch. 3, Paragraph 5.

Also from Institutes I:18.1

They babble and talk absurdly who, in the place of God's providence, substitute bare permission -- as if God sat in a watchtower awaiting chance events , and his judgments thus depended upon human will.

They babble and talk absurdly who, in the place of God's providence, substitute bare permission -- as if God sat in a watchtower awaiting chance events , and his judgments thus depended upon human will.

That reminds me of another Calvin quote I read today:

We must, therefore, repudiate the oft-repeated sentiment of Chrysostom, "Whom he draws, he draws willingly"; insinuating that the Lord only stretches out his hand, and waits to see whether we will be pleased to take his aid.

We must, therefore, repudiate the oft-repeated sentiment of Chrysostom, "Whom he draws, he draws willingly"; insinuating that the Lord only stretches out his hand, and waits to see whether we will be pleased to take his aid.

Does not Calvin criticize Chrysostom for this quote? I may be mistaken, but I think he did.

NR

Does not Calvin criticize Chrysostom for this quote? I may be mistaken, but I think he did.

NR

No, you are correct. He does criticize Chrysostom in this quote. That's why he says we must repudiate Chrysostom's statement. He's trying to show how ridiculous it is. :)

In a sense, though, Chrysostom is right: God draws a person, He makes them willing.

In a sense, though, Chrysostom is right: God draws a person, He makes them willing.

I'm no expert on the church fathers but I don't think that was what Chrysostom meant. Perhaps someone with more familiarity with Chrysostom could comment? :bueller:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back