Gospel in the Law, Law in the Gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the sabbath, its pretty clear that the Jews observed the Sabbath on Saturday and that our Lord transformed the Sabbath by virtue of the power of an indestructible life, to use the language of Hebrews, to the "First day of the week," the "Lord's Day." This is a standard view.

Not by virtue of the commandment, but of the time they were released from Egypt, which, to coin the same phrase, is the standard view. ;) Edwards is quite good on that point overall.

<< In other words, the COR made outside of time is really an overarching covenant that encompasses the other two. The covenant of Life or Works is a covenant that is still in force, though God's people are not subject to it. All are born under it, but the elect are removed from the stipulations of it if they are in the covenant of grace. The covenant of grace is the outworking of the covenant of redemption in time.>>

I think, if I understand you correctly, this is what I teach my students.

Sounds like you are both on the same page.

[Edited on 5-22-2005 by webmaster]

For a GREAT discussion this week concerning Law/Gospel I would encourage all interested to listen to this week's installment on the WHI. It goes to great lengths and analysis as to why this distinction is necessary and to obedience from Grace. Link Below. You should find it greatly encouraging.

http://www.whitehorseinn.org/

May 22nd: Rightly Dividing the Word: Law & Gospel

Funny, this was the message this week. Paster Eswine reiterated that our obedience comes from the sight of our mercy, for the mercy we've been given - this drives our true obedience in love which is the Law. If I didn't botch re-quoting him;)

It has been greatly encouraging this Lord's day!!!

Blessings In Christ to all,

Larry

[Edited on 5-22-2005 by Larry Hughes]

I concur, it was an excelent espoide this week as always, but this one and last weeks were particularly usefull to myself at least.

Bryan
SDG

I listened this morning, too. I thought it was well balanced and precise. I found nothing in it that I disagreed with.

It is interesting to hear their discussion about the uses of the law in light of the excerpt that was posted the other day from L. Berkhof. I think they actually did come to view the second use as more favorable, but I also like the analogy of the pedagogue. This kind of parallels the usage of lamad in the OT, which is the word used for both teaching and learning. Lamad is derived from malmad, an oxgoad. About one fifth of the times it is used in the OT is in Deuteronomy, which falls in line with perhaps both the second and the third use of the law.

This is much more clear to me now. But it brought up some more questions I have to deal with.

Thanks all for your help.

In Christ,

KC

Kevin, Matthew, Fred, RSC et.al...

How does what John Frame writes here
compare with what has been agreed on this thread already? Any criticisms?

Originally posted by crhoades
Kevin, Matthew, Fred, RSC et.al...

How does what John Frame writes here
compare with what has been agreed on this thread already? Any criticisms?

Strange Chris, but I was just about to post the exact same question!:eek:
You beat me to it.

I find it interesting that Frame expresses diagreement with MR and ACE folks, and both sides claim to be reformed. Which is it for Frame? Is the classical view Lutheran and his view reformed? or are they both reformed and we have to look at the issue through Frame's multiperspectivalism or whatever it is called. or is his view in line with the FV/shepherd view?

I found this http://homepage.mac.com/shanerosenthal/reformationink/srlawgospel.htm helpful

[Edited on 5-23-2005 by RAS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back