Gospel Commentary Recommendation wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

monoergon

Puritan Board Freshman
I am looking for a Bible commentary composed of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and one on the whole New Testament.

Basically, I'm not looking for something with Greek or Latin since I never studied Theology in a Seminary, but a commentary which explains the context of each Bible passage.

I would use such commentaries to learn the Bible passage context and to apply it in my life and I would want to teach it to others for evangelism purposes and teach it to family and friends.

Hi Nathan, you can find a number of sound Reformed commentaries online in PDF format for free. Alternately, e-Sword software (also free) will permit you to download many of them in a bit more user-friendly format.

I'd recommend Calvin, Matthew Henry, Matthew Poole, and J.C. Ryle for the Gospels (all freely available through e-Sword). For the entire NT, Calvin covers all but 2 & 3 John, and Revelation; while Henry and Poole cover the entire NT.

Something else you may want to consider: if you'd prefer physical volumes instead of digital books, I have found the NT Commentary series edited by John Stott to be very helpful and accessible. It's called "The Bible Speaks Today."

Hope these suggestions help you!

Something else you may want to consider: if you'd prefer physical volumes instead of digital books, I have found the NT Commentary series edited by John Stott to be very helpful and accessible. It's called "The Bible Speaks Today."

I've read three books from this series and second that it's been a good set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back