Good intro to Wittgenestein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing.

Prof. Searle looked so much younger! Nowadays, at 80 years of age, he doesn't have time for philosophy. For class, we only read his material, and if people disagree with him, he usually waves them off as being silly. I appreciate his clarity, though. Some professors/philosophers are needlessly obscure (think Heidegger).

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

Prof. Searle looked so much younger! Nowadays, at 80 years of age, he doesn't have time for philosophy. For class, we only read his material, and if people disagrees with him, he usually waves them off as being silly. I appreciate his clarity, though. Some professors/philosophers are needlessly obscure (think Heidegger).

Wow you studied under him what an honor! I disagree with his stuff on the fact/value distinction and on philosophy of mind but I enjoy him otherwise.

John Searle is a very strong philosopher. His work on speach acts is very interesting.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

And Wittgenstein really seems to grow in influence. Time has not been friendly to the thougts of J.L. Austin.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Thanks for sharing.

Prof. Searle looked so much younger! Nowadays, at 80 years of age, he doesn't have time for philosophy. For class, we only read his material, and if people disagrees with him, he usually waves them off as being silly. I appreciate his clarity, though. Some professors/philosophers are needlessly obscure (think Heidegger).

Wow you studied under him what an honor! I disagree with his stuff on the fact/value distinction and on philosophy of mind but I enjoy him otherwise.

I enjoyed him as well. His atheist worldview was very troublesome at times, but he is sharp man. Funny thing is, Owen Flanagan (from Duke) is teaching the course on Mind here for the summer, and he is in disagreement with Searle (and not just his Chinese room argument). There are moments when Flanagan will impersonate Searle, and it's quite comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back