Good books?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would definitely bid on Berkhof but it's not "buy it now" and there's no way the price will stay that low now you've advertised it on the PB! :detective:

To answer Chris, I prefer Grudem. I'm not selling any interest I might have in Berkhof, but one particular copy of his systematic.

To answer Andrew, you can't win if you don't play.

I grew up in rabid Baptist fundamentalism. The basis for everything was dogma, not reason or discussion based on God's Word. Insults mean nothing to me; if you want to talk about Grudem and have issues, then let's do that but simply reacting to a fellow-brother's honestly stated preference doesn't really do anything productive except possibly make you guys feel better about how you think. You didn't bother to ask why I like Grudem, or what I disagree with in Grudem.

Just a thought...

I'd be curious of ya'll's thoughts on Grudem, too...as I had a copy offered to me for dirt cheap recently. Never heard of the guy. Reflexively, I said to the would-be seller "have you got any Berkhof?"

I have never read Grudem's systematic, but I heard it was very well done. I have read his views on prophecy, with which I would strongly disagree. I know he is was a part of the Vineyard group and The Theologian of "The Third Wave". Those are some things I strongly dislike about Grudem, as for his systematic I would love to read it. If I had the money I would buy it from you, but right now I am busted. He did contribute quite a bit to the Reformation Study Bible, the notes of which are generally great. I personally still would rely more on Berkhof.:2cents:

I haver read Grudem and it is remarkably clear and quite devotional, with no lack of scholarship. "But he speaks in tongues!!!" Yeah well, life is tough. We will not agree 100% on everything. Just to humor everybody, go to Mark Dever's website and listen to his interview with Wayne Grudem. Furthermore, the Bibliographies at the end of the chapter and back of the back are worth the price of the book to someone who is new in theology.

It seems to me many cessationists give non-cessationism too much credit - in other words, underestimate the true extent of its error. I see cessationism as key to both the doctrine of Scripture and in fact the presuppositional argument. But that's another issue. As for Grudem, in addition to that, there's his credobaptism, his premillennialism and his congregationalism. But since you mentioned it Jon, what do and don't you like about his systematic?

Andrew-
Everybody's looking, nobody's bidding. I can only change the price until somebody bids. The prices are lowered again, so if you want something lock it in.

The Hebrew book is a standard textbook in many Bible colleges and seminaries. I think it and the Greek equivalent are both excellent if you are learning the language.

As to Grudem...

I appreciate the academic but readable language he writes in. I also appreciate that he is a Baptist, on which point I for obvious reasons find Berkhof somewhat obtuse. He manages to make his systematic theology very clear, and very devotional, without losing a firm tie to Scripture and practicality.

In my opinion, Grudem is worth owning even if you disagree with him on key points like baptism and gifts of the Spirit. I have never been one who only wants to read what I myself would write.

On the gifts issue, I think there are plenty of people that dismiss Grudem without considering what he has to say. If you want to ditch his inerpretation fine, but you'd be richer for having considered and personally responded to his perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back