Good Book for Non-believing "Believer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayPot

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have a friend who strongly asserts they are a believer. This despite not reading the Bible, not going to church, fornicating, etc. This person is a voracious reader, so I was hoping I could could get them a good book about what it means to be a Christian (at a beginner's level) that God might graciously use to open his person's eyes to their true state. Any recommendations for spiritually challenging, entry-level books about what it means to be a Christian?

You want him to actually read it, so it depends on the person.

If he's traditional-thinking, scholarly, and loves plodding through old classics, then there nothing that compares to Edwards' Affections.

But more likely he's postmodern, will resist anything that takes too much work, and needs to hear the gospel in a new way from someone who can speak to him on terms familiar to him. In that case, I like Keller's The Prodigal God. Short. Challenging. Eye-opening for many who think they already know what Christianity is about.

I think what you don't want to do is give him something that mostly just condemns his behavior. Although his behavior is worthy of condemnation, the path to changed behavior is a changed heart that's come to see the beauty of Jesus and how the gospel truly is good news.

I think what you don't want to do is give him something that mostly just condemns his behavior. Although his behavior is worthy of condemnation, the path to changed behavior is a changed heart that's come to see the beauty of Jesus and how the gospel truly is good news.

:up:

Another possibility, take him to a gospel centered church service.

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I would also recommend The Prodigal God by Keller. It makes the gospel clear and it's not an especially challenging read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back