Good Bible for a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathetes

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all,

I have a friend for whom I'd like to get a Bible for Christmas. She's from Romania and while her English isn't bad, I'd like a translation that doesn't go over her head too much. Also, maybe if it had some additional notes or "helps" I think it would be good to help her understand some parts (although not as cluttered as a Strong's or something). Any suggestions?

I imagine no one would agree with me but I would say either the Life Application or the New Living Translation study bible.
The NLT is easy to read if English is not a strong point and they are both solid on salvation. The NLT Study Bible is probably the better one of the two.

My wife was born in Romania and she loved the NIV when she became a (non-Reformed) evangelical Christian. I know a lot of people (myself included) don't like that translation, however, it's very readable, and I think the Spirit of the Reformation NIV Study bible would be a good "beginner" Bible for someone with English as her second language.

I would go with ESV also....and I reject the idea that giving a Romanian a bible in elizabethian english, with arcaic words that are not used anymore in the english language would be the wise decision...if you're going to go with arcaic versions, I would have to suggest the Geneva...after all, it is better than the KJV, and was the version brought to America by our forefathers...and I hear the Puritan's favorite!

I say go with the KJV..... but if not, definitely go with the ESV over the NIV...(New International perVersion) :)

Greetings Vaughn,

I would go with the ESV as well and i think the new ESV Study Bible would be a fine choice. I am Romanian-American and another resource i found helpful is the preaching of Mircea Aioanei, pastor of Biserica Baptista Logos of Arad, Romania. 1689, reformed. Solid teaching.

in Christ,
flavio

I would get her a good basic Bible in a convenient size- meaning a Bible with a good concordance and a few maps, not much commentary.

Tell her to pray and ask God to help her understand before she reads.

The KJV is still most cogent if she has a good command of language- ESV, NKJ or NIV are all more readable translations.

I would never give a second language speaker the KJV and almost never the ESV.

Here is a good BEGINNER Bible:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Bible-Contemporary-English-Version/dp/1585160172/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1227064501&sr=11-1"]Amazon.com: The Learning Bible: Contemporary English Version: American Bible Society, Howard Clark Kee: Books[/ame]

This is the translation used in many ESL ministries and for good reason! This translation is basically designed for the ESL demographic or very young people or people with poor literacy. And the Learning Bible has a lot of good beginner helps.

Now, once and if they get their English skills up then switching them to a more advanced Bible like the ESV may be ok. The HCSB is probably the best literal translation to give a second language speaker as the English is updated. The KJV shouldn't be used by second language speakers ever unless they have achieved native fluency in English.

Don't throw your tomatoes yet.....

We are talking about "beginning" bibles and not the Bibles we will read once we can understand the language. Thus an inferior bible or even a transliteration at the very beginning is permissible the first read around and then switch to something deeper and harder and more literal.

I would suggest the Living Bible for a first read and then the 2nd year go to the NIV and then the ESV and then, if they like the KJV, then "graduate" to the KJV after an initial period of reading these much easier bibles.

I wouldn't recommend the KJV to anyone other than a collector.

The ESV is good, but for someone just trying to pick up the English language I'd probably go with the NLT.

1599 Geneva Study Bible

Order TODAY!

Tolle Lege Press.com

Their Prices ARE INSANE!!!!

:oops: NOT an advertisment...just having fun...but I believe they are the sole producers of this updated version

I would never give a second language speaker the KJV and almost never the ESV.

Here is a good BEGINNER Bible:

Amazon.com: The Learning Bible: Contemporary English Version: American Bible Society, Howard Clark Kee: Books

This is the translation used in many ESL ministries and for good reason! This translation is basically designed for the ESL demographic or very young people or people with poor literacy. And the Learning Bible has a lot of good beginner helps.

Now, once and if they get their English skills up then switching them to a more advanced Bible like the ESV may be ok. The HCSB is probably the best literal translation to give a second language speaker as the English is updated. The KJV shouldn't be used by second language speakers ever unless they have achieved native fluency in English.

This looks interesting, thanks for the heads-up. I'll compare it to the reformation esv and see which one seems more appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back