Going Vegan/Organic

Status
Not open for further replies.
For instance, did you know that aspartame which is now regularly put in food as a sweetner, is the "poop" from a bacteria which was developed to eat chemical waste?

Not to mention (this is according to a friend of mine) that it causes hair loss and got several Dessert Storm soldiers sick (when its heated to much it changes and can make you sick or something along those lines).

Dessert Storm?!!! Now that I could get behind! Sign me up!

Regarding aspartame, yeah that stuff is very bad and is linked to cancer as far as I know.

Got any legitimate proof for that?

I'd be interested in any evidence of that, too.

Good old natural sugar, on the other hand, is linked with obesity and diabetes.

I'm not sure about the link to cancer, but I do know that the other information has been verified by the chemists that work with my husband.

I believe low carb, moderate protein, high fat is the healthiest.

Jeff Gilbertson's Blog

And, believe there are health issues with going vegan.

Just my two cents ... don't want to argue about it.

Exactly. Not just physical health problems but mental problems/depression. You brain needs the fats/cholesterol/protein found in animal products. Ask a veg*n about their mental health 18-36 months after taking the plunge.

For instance, did you know that aspartame which is now regularly put in food as a sweetner, is the "poop" from a bacteria which was developed to eat chemical waste?

Not to mention (this is according to a friend of mine) that it causes hair loss and got several Dessert Storm soldiers sick (when its heated to much it changes and can make you sick or something along those lines).

Dessert Storm?!!! Now that I could get behind! Sign me up!

Oops. I'd sign up for Dessert storm too.

We watched the documentaries "Forks over Knives" and "Food, Inc." Forks over Knives was related to the CNN special, which I referenced in the OP, but was more extensive. We watched Food, Inc. last night, and that made quite the impression with me as well. Has anyone else seen these docs?

Many of these documentaries are available through Netflix Instant Streaming. I started Food, Inc. the other day, but haven't finished yet.

Has anyone else seen these docs?
Food Inc was interesting, I found "The Future of Food" to be very good as well.

I am certainly not a vegi in any sense. I suppose if it was not for my loving wife, I would be eating meat and potatoes almost exclusively.
I do prefer to eat organic and free range or grass fed foods. (When I use these terms I mean food from small farms within reasonable geographic proximity to me, as I can see how it is produced. Some we get from the Amish. There is a taste preference with me, as well as a comfort level of knowing more about what is actually "IN" the food I eat. I don't trust overly processed food ingredients, and I especially do not like genetically modified foods. Ironically have no issue with cloned plants, but do not trust cloned animals. These can not be equated. I clone mint plants in a very strict sense of the word, when I drop pieces of it on the ground that I have harvested.

I also prefer that the animals that I consume were treated as I believe we ought to treat them. This is certainly not the case in much of the Mega Big Ag corps that produce so much of the American Diet. That being said, the Meat I consume does not all come organically nor can I confirm that it is all treated in a humane manner. But the meat I get from farms, I can validate from some slaughters I have been to, and the ability to actually see the animals grow, that they are treated and put down well.

As for Milk, I love raw milk. I know it does not have hormones injected which fiddle with estrogen levels, and the proteins are not manipulate beyond recognition in due to processing. I have been drinking it for years and have never had a problem with it. I have some problems with store bought milk.

As for Milk, I love raw milk. I know it does not have hormones injected

You are drawing a false conclusion. Hormones aren't introduced into the milk when it is processed/ pasteurized. It's introduced at the cow stage. So whether or not milk is raw has nothing to do with whether it has hormones. And, conversely, you can get processed milk which has not had hormones added if you are willing to pay a premium.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Sure you aren't thinking of HFCS? In my opinion, cane sugar is much better for you (or less bad, perhaps) than is HFCS.

About six months ago I basically stopped wheat. I lost a tonne of weight and I feel much more happy and energetic, generally speaking. I now eat spelt and kamut flour. Other than that I don't really care to get all involved with health food. Too much stress and worry.

When I think of the simplicity of food in the generation of my parents or even my childhood vs. what is generally available now, I can see why one would think it stressful and worrisome to think about eating right.

It was really the babyboomers and their children who embraced processed foods: Twinkies, Ho-hos, Freetos, Captain Crunch, Jello and Lays Potato Chips are processed foods that appeared on and off in my household when I was a child. Even so, the balance of our diet was still fresh veggies and fruits from the garden, grocery store or farm stand and meat from the butcher, and I lived in the suburbs of Chicago. Until the early 1970s, my family was still getting milk and eggs delivered to the house by the local dairy, and it was left in a milkbox--outside, even in the summer time!

My parents both grew up eating mostly food they raised as meat or in the garden. Sugar and coffee were the items purchased at the local store.

Here's another thought (and I'm sure someone will jump all over me for it, but it's just an observation)--with the rise of processed foods in the Western diet has come the flood of cancer patients. I'm not blaming processed foods for the rise in cancer, but I wonder if there is some connection?

Here's another thought (and I'm sure someone will jump all over me for it, but it's just an observation)--with the rise of processed foods in the Western diet has come the flood of cancer patients. I'm not blaming processed foods for the rise in cancer, but I wonder if there is some connection?

I am fairly well convinced that there is a connection. It may be simple, or it may be complex, but there is something there. Food is no longer seen as food. It is now seen as nutrition; components rather than a whole. That is fallacious understanding of the incredible creation.

No, there's truth to it. If nothing else it's established that a lack of fiber causes some cancers. I think ONE thing to keep in mind is that smoking and a fatty non fibrous diet cause probably two thirds of those cancers that aren't do to people living longer, genetic predisposition etc...

I just wonder about the wisdom of worrying about a farmer spraying a botanically based pyrethroid on his broccoli to kill bugs when the cancer cause that, if any, is rarer than being struck by lightening.

I mean, getting lots of exercise, eating well, not smoking like a chimney and keeping sex monogamous takes care of the vast majority of cancers you can actually prevent by behavior, so why stress that someone found a piece of asbestos in your kid's school?

A person could do a lot worse than using Christ as an example for that too. Butter, honey, milk, red meat, fish, wine, olive oil, figs, bread. Why one would want to cut any of these out of one's diet has always been a mystery to me. He like, made us......:) and knows what's good for us.

Not all animal fats are alike, and fish oils such as the Omega 3s and 6s are excellent brain food. If you have a foggy head, just try taking a high quality omega 3 every day. You might be surprised what you discover.

You're right - watching CNN was your first mistake...

"Organic" comes from a Latin word that means "more expensive for no legitimate reason than the ordinary stuff." There is zero nutritional difference between an organic tomato and an un-organic one. Just the price. At the stores I shop in, the organic section is almost always completely empty of customers.

It's bad enough that I had to give up red meat because of my gout...

Richard, 2 months living with me would cure you of gout. You wouldn't be really happy, but at the end of the two months you'd be gout free.

I believe low carb, moderate protein, high fat is the healthiest.

Jeff Gilbertson's Blog

And, believe there are health issues with going vegan.

Just my two cents ... don't want to argue about it.

Exactly. Not just physical health problems but mental problems/depression. You brain needs the fats/cholesterol/protein found in animal products. Ask a veg*n about their mental health 18-36 months after taking the plunge.

I would be interested to find out if this is an anecdotal statement, or factual. If factual, can you provide me somewhere to check that out?

Sure you aren't thinking of HFCS? In my opinion, cane sugar is much better for you (or less bad, perhaps) than is HFCS.

There's no evidence to support your claim. Your body doesn't care--sugar is sugar. Replacing one form for another has no impact on health.

The Health Effects of High Fructose Syrup

My wife is a physician and her undergraduate was in nutrition and food science, so this is often our dinner-time conversation.

There's no evidence to support your claim. Your body doesn't care--sugar is sugar. Replacing one form for another has no impact on health.

The Health Effects of High Fructose Syrup

My wife is a physician and her undergraduate was in nutrition and food science, so this is often our dinner-time conversation.

Princeton University - A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

We watched the documentaries "Forks over Knives" and "Food, Inc." Forks over Knives was related to the CNN special, which I referenced in the OP, but was more extensive. We watched Food, Inc. last night, and that made quite the impression with me as well. Has anyone else seen these docs?

“Forks Over Knives”: Is the Science Legit? (A Review and Critique) « Raw Food SOS: Troubleshooting on the Raw Food Diet

Thank you for this link. I am wading through it a little at a time. It seems to me, at the end of the day, we just have to go with what makes sense to us. As we know within the reformed camp, everyone has a presupposition, there is no neutral ground. Some people can look for information to suit their thesis, even if they don't even know it.

Side note: I have lost nearly 10 lbs in about three weeks of eating a similar, but not exact, diet as the Forks over Knives featured. It has not been a horrible experience, either. But I can't wait to have some local grass-fed beef!

Veggies can kill too, if they are diseased or are treated with certain carcinogenic chemicals.

Is there any evidence that vegetarians live longer or have happier lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back