God's Divine and Eternal Attributes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Paul

Puritan Board Sophomore
Having not done a search for any related threads on this particular, when we speak of God's eternal attributes, we include Justice, Mercy and Wrath (unless I am mistaken in the category). In eternity past, then, before anything had been created that was created, we understand that God was Perfect in Himself.

My Q, then is this: How can we say Justice, Mercy and Wrath are Eternal attributes when there were no conditions for these to be necessary?:book2:

Donald, when we speak of the attributes, we distinguish them virtually and eminently from the essence: but they are all God's eternal essence, considered now under this virtue, now under that. For whatever is in God *is* God.

Thus, let us pretend for a moment that you have (literally) an infinite supply of money; and you are also a very compassionate, merciful and generous person. But you happen to live in a society in which *everyone* has the same absolutely infinite supply of money you do. Giving money generously or compassionately in such a society does not make sense. But then a new neighborhood is built in your society, and there are a lot of poor people in it. Now, there is a specific egress for this virtue in you. You did not change; you did not acquire some new quality.

Further, we can say in an even more specific and (perhaps) meaningful sense that God's mercy is from everlasting, since he has eternally decreed to both create and show mercy to his people.

Thank you, Paul. The Q arose for me in thinking of God's wrath especially. There was no one for whom wrath was due so it would not be "known" until the created order, true?

Quote from Donald
Thank you, Paul. The Q arose for me in thinking of God's wrath especially. There was no one for whom wrath was due so it would not be "known" until the created order, true?

Not really. God always had it in His nature to be angry with sinners. Just as we are sometimes in a pale and sinful reflection of His perfectly just and good wrath e.g. when we hear of a particularly egregious crime in the media.

It's part of our nature to be angry with sin and sinners, and more angry for more egregious sin. But that anger is only expressed and revealed when the occasion arises.

God's just, holy, good, wise, powerful, and faithful anger is part of His glory - the sum of His attributes - which was revealed in the history of redemption, was revealed in Christ, and will be revealed at the Eschaton.

Also remember that the reprobate are mysteriously foreordained to wrath, while also being fully responsible for their own sins and therefore subsequent punishment.

It was known to God, in His Triune perfection of Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Who knows all things. The first creatures that knew it were the angels, fallen and unfallen, then Adam and Eve after the Fall. The angels and men knew of God's goodness and kindness and love before they knew of His wrath, and it is because of their own unthankfulness and sinfulness that they know of His wrath. :2cents:

E.g. Chapter III of the WCF

7. The rest of mankind God was pleased, according to the unsearchable counsel of his own will, whereby he extendeth or withholdeth mercy as he pleaseth, for the glory of his sovereign power over his creatures, to pass by, and to ordain them to dishonor and wrath for their sin, to the praise of his glorious justice.(a)

a. Mat 11:25-26; Rom 9:17-18, 21-22; 2 Tim 2:19-20; 1 Pet 2:8; Jude 1:4.

8. The doctrine of this high mystery of predestination is to be handled with special prudence and care,(a) that men attending the will of God revealed in his Word, and yielding obedience thereunto, may, from the certainty of their effectual vocation, be assured of their eternal election.(b) So shall this doctrine afford matter of praise, reverence, and admiration of God;(c) and of humility, diligence, and abundant consolation to all that sincerely obey the gospel.(d)

a. Deut 29:29; Rom 9:20. � b. 2 Pet 1:10. � c. Rom 11:33; Eph 1:6. � d. Luke 10:20; Rom 8:33; 11:5-6, 20; 2 Pet 1:10.

Last edited:
Thanks, Richard. I did state that in an odd manner, didn't I, that it was not "known" until creation? All I intended to say was that God was not "wrathful" prior to creation bc there was no one to be wrathful toward. Since sin is only out of the created order, God did not display his anger towards it. Certainly it was "known" in his Triune perfection, as you stated. Again, I just wondered how it could be manifested prior to creation. Thanks also for the WCF sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back