God never out-promised Himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Thomas Boston, Works 1:127:

Sometimes men falsify their promise, and cannot make good their word through a defect of power. But God never out-promised himself. He can do whatsoever he pleased to do. It is said, Ps. 135:6, “Whatsoever the Lord pleased, that did he in heaven and in earth,” etc. Yea, all things are possible with God. This was the foundation of Abraham’s faith, which kept it from staggering at the thoughts of the improbabilities which lay in the way of the accomplishment of the promises, Rom. 4:21. In the case of civil debts, many a man cannot keep his promise, because others break to him. But though the whole creation should break, God is as able as ever. Hence the prophet says, Hab. 3:17, 18, “Although the fig-tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation.” Believers in Christ can never be undone, though the whole creation should disband and go into ruin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back