Global Warming and the Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
What are your thoughts? Does Genesis 9 mean all the global warming stuff is a hoax? Or should we take it seriously?

What are your thoughts? Does Genesis 9 mean all the global warming stuff is a hoax? Or should we take it seriously?

I think that Genesis 9 means that the most extreme GW predictions will not happen, but it doesn't preclude that they represent the extrapolated end-state of current trends or that lesser but still significantly negative sequela may occur. Regardless, I think it's clear that atheistic naturalism underlies a lot of the movement and that most of the alarmism is drawn from a handful of the most extreme and unlikely of climate models--even GW believing scientists have noted this. My perspective is skepticism while not dismissing GW out of hand.

Last edited:
No reference to Scripture is needed to establish that 'global warming' is a hoax.

Even the proponents of the theory, having gotten caught more than once manipulating data, have switched to 'climate change' to cover their bases on the downside as well as the upside.

And as long as there is ice all year around in areas in our world (Arctic), we are technically still in an ice age.

We used to call the practice of connecting our actions on earth with affects on the weather... witch-doctory.

Dudes have simply exchanged the grass skirt for a lab coat. Same scam.

Job 38:22-23, "Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail, which I have reserved against the time of trouble,
against the day of battle and war?"

Prv.30:4, "Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son’s name, if thou canst tell?"

Global warming is pushed by the hard Left because they see it as yet another way to control people. The whole thing's a scam, as has been said.

One way you can tell is that the very people screaming the loudest about it are the same people who don't change their lifestyles at all - but expect YOU to do so. Al Gore, the biggest screamer of all (and the guy who has probably made the most money off it) still has his mansion outside Nashville, which sucks up more electricity in a month than the average American uses in a year. And there are photos of Leonardo di Caprio using a helicopter to get to his yacht. Etc., etc.

When the people who say it's a crisis start changing their lifestyles to reflect that fact, then there might be something to it - but they won't, I guarantee it.

My favorite quote on this subject:

"The Left always needs a Grand Cause, and global warming is a perfect fit for the liberal mentality. It allows you to feel good without actually inconveniencing yourself overmuch, demands massive new government powers and corresponding taxation, is open-ended enough to, in theory, go on forever, makes capitalism look bad, and offers endless opportunities to feel warm throbs of guilt while gazing on pictures of poor, dark people suffering pitiably in remote places." - John Derbyshire, on National Review Online, May 15, 2007.

On a related note, it's like when Obama said, in 2010, "There comes a time when you've probably made enough money." Well, he's got his presidential pension ($200,000 a year, I think), he glides around the country giving speeches at about $200,000 a pop, he had a vacation home he was tired of and put on the market for more than $17,000,000, and received many millions of dollars up front for his presidential memoirs. So, when he says, "There comes a time when you've probably made enough money," by "you" he means you, not him.

The usual liberal hypocrisy.

There seemed to be a lot of ice in the middle east when Job wrote.

So there is climate change. Cycles. There was the Little Ice Age in the late Middle Ages...totally not man-made.

But human-caused global catastrophe is nowhere spoken of in Scripture.

Of course, it is a scam. We are about to leave the earth's natural warming cycle and enter a cooling cycle. Research "Mini ice age" or "grand solar minimum." We are on the cusp of that.

There is indeed global climate changed, but that is based upon mechanisms placed into the earth and its operating system by God, and we really are not contributing at all to how that functions. We go up 1 degree for a 20 year period, as in the 1970's, fair was global Ice Age, and now into natural warming cycle 1 degree, and fair of melting polar caps.

No matter how frustrated we may get with the politics that surround global warming claims, we must be careful to be forthright in the way we use Scripture. To maintain our integrity as people who handle the Word of God with care and would never use it sloppily to make a political point, we should not assert that Genesis says any more or less than it actually says.

So what does it say? First, let's notice that it speaks generally about the constancy of temperatures and seasons but does not promise zero change over time nor rule out multi-year cycles (which are well-documented with phenomena like El Nino, and occur elsewhere in Genesis with the seven-year famine foretold through Joseph, for example). It is very clear from Genesis 8 and 9, and from other parts of Scripture, that God ultimately controls the weather.

The passage also seems to say that God will not allow catastrophic season change that upsets life on earth, meaning that the basic seasonal patterns will remain at least until the end-times renewal. Mankind cannot thwart this will of God, nor make the rainy seasons start or stop. It is foolish arrogance to suggest we can, and it undermines faith in the living God. Again, these truths are backed up by many other Scripture passages, some of which have already been mentioned in this thread, giving us good reason to say these are accurate conclusions to draw from Genesis 8 and 9.

But as with most theology, we need some nuance here. We go beyond what the passage says if we claim mankind is a complete non-player. Both the post-flood narrative and the creation narrative mention our responsibility to be good stewards of the earth. This suggests that God may allow our actions to have some measurable effect on living conditions in this world, since the command to be stewards feels deceptive otherwise.

If I dump nuclear waste in your backyard, you may rightly claim that I am harming you even though you know that God ultimately controls whether or not you get cancer. The same could be said for dumping emissions into the atmosphere, provided we could show a connection between those emissions and the weather and could conclude that the connection is a bad one overall (which is a valid matter for scientific and managerial debate).

"Love your neighbor" applies here. So does "You shall not put the Lord your God to the test." Genesis does NOT go so far as to claim we may blithely ignore stewardship or neighborly love because God has promised to forestall any consequences for our actions. Such a conclusion is neither stated in the passage nor supported elsewhere in Scripture.

My opinion: Global warming is a scam to introduce global taxes and, ultimately, a globalist one-world government.

None of that means that there is not a place for caring about the environment, however.

Another thought: some of the people who are screaming about global warming are the same people who were screaming about global cooling 40 years ago.

Well, the new "ice age" hasn't happened (yet), and global warming ain't real, either.

America was colonised at the end of the little ice age - that is why colonisation was so difficult. For young earth creationists the geological column has validity but in a compressed form. Plate tectonics happened and was recorded in Genesis 10:25 for me this adds to the reason that the promise of the rainbow was sooo relevant. Job as one of the oldest books in the canon seems to record both dinosaurs and ice! This means that the earth is recovering from the ice age and the little ice age probably tied into the Genesis Flood.

I don't buy into evolution, an old earth or alarmist global warming. When I was at school all the science was about global cooling and the next ice age. Likewise we were forecast to run out of oil in the nineties but surprisingly I am struggling to find those text books now.

The surprising thing is that all these Ph.D.s know less science than I learned in the 2nd Grade when the weekly reader had stories about the solar cycle and the International Geophysical Year (although I'm not THAT old).

Last edited:
I'm super confused. I see nothing in Genesis 9 that rejects or acknowledges climate change. I think Genesis 8 could be used to reject climate change in the sense that it caused by anything other than natural causes.

Genesis 8:21 And when the Lord smelled the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done. the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.”

I'm super confused. I see nothing in Genesis 9 that rejects or acknowledges climate change. I think Genesis 8 could be used to reject climate change in the sense that it caused by anything other than natural causes.

Genesis 8:21 And when the Lord smelled the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done. the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.”
Global warming alarmists talk about the polar ice caps melting and drowning cities. Hence why we brought it up.

I am assuming 8:22 the primary passage under discussion, even though it is in chapter 8, not 9. Chapter 9 does include some related material, including the promise not to destroy the earth in a flood again.

Yes, sorry, the passage I was referencing is Genesis 8:22.

No matter how frustrated we may get with the politics that surround global warming claims, we must be careful to be forthright in the way we use Scripture. To maintain our integrity as people who handle the Word of God with care and would never use it sloppily to make a political point, we should not assert that Genesis says any more or less than it actually says.

So what does it say? First, let's notice that it speaks generally about the constancy of temperatures and seasons but does not promise zero change over time nor rule out multi-year cycles (which are well-documented with phenomena like El Nino, and occur elsewhere in Genesis with the seven-year famine foretold through Joseph, for example). It is very clear from Genesis 8 and 9, and from other parts of Scripture, that God ultimately controls the weather.

The passage also seems to say that God will not allow catastrophic season change that upsets life on earth, meaning that the basic seasonal patterns will remain at least until the end-times renewal. Mankind cannot thwart this will of God, nor make the rainy seasons start or stop. It is foolish arrogance to suggest we can, and it undermines faith in the living God. Again, these truths are backed up by many other Scripture passages, some of which have already been mentioned in this thread, giving us good reason to say these are accurate conclusions to draw from Genesis 8 and 9.

But as with most theology, we need some nuance here. We go beyond what the passage says if we claim mankind is a complete non-player. Both the post-flood narrative and the creation narrative mention our responsibility to be good stewards of the earth. This suggests that God may allow our actions to have some measurable effect on living conditions in this world, since the command to be stewards feels deceptive otherwise.

If I dump nuclear waste in your backyard, you may rightly claim that I am harming you even though you know that God ultimately controls whether or not you get cancer. The same could be said for dumping emissions into the atmosphere, provided we could show a connection between those emissions and the weather and could conclude that the connection is a bad one overall (which is a valid matter for scientific and managerial debate).

"Love your neighbor" applies here. So does "You shall not put the Lord your God to the test." Genesis does NOT go so far as to claim we may blithely ignore stewardship or neighborly love because God has promised to forestall any consequences for our actions. Such a conclusion is neither stated in the passage nor supported elsewhere in Scripture.

I think Jack's response is a helpful one. Does anyone want to further interact with what he said here?

Who is responsible for the weather? For climate change?

Lev 26:4 "I will give you rain in due season...."

Lev.26:19, "I will make your heaven as iron, and your earth as brass."

Dt.11:14, "I will give you the rain of your land...."

Dt.28:23-24, "And thy heaven that is over thy head shall be brass, and the earth that is under thee shall be iron. The Lord shall make the rain of thy land powder and dust: from heaven shall it come down upon thee, until thou be destroyed."

Dt.32:23-24, "I will heap mischiefs upon them; I will spend mine arrows upon them. They shall be burnt with hunger, and devoured with burning heat...."

1Sam.12:18, "The Lord sent thunder and rain that day...."

1Ki.17:14, "The Lord sendeth rain upon the earth."

2Chr.7:13, "If I shut up heaven that there be no rain...."

Job 5:8-10, "I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause: which doeth great things and unsearchable; marvellous things without number: who giveth rain upon the earth, and sendeth waters upon the fields."

Job 9:7, "Which commandeth the sun...."

Job 12:15, "Behold, he withholdeth the waters, and they dry up: also he sendeth them out, and they overturn the earth."

Job 28:26, "When he made a decree for the rain...."

Job 36:27-28,32 "He maketh small the drops of water: they pour down rain according to the vapour thereof: which the clouds do drop and distil upon man abundantly.... With clouds he covereth the light;
and commandeth it not to shine by the cloud that cometh betwixt."

Job 37:6-7, "For he saith to the snow, Be thou on the earth; likewise to the small rain, and to the great rain of his strength. He sealeth up the hand of every man; that all men may know his work."
v7 states plainly that the weather's effects are a lesson to man, that he might know it is GOD's work. It is hard for me to imagine a more blatant disregard for this sign and its intention, than for a man--or men as a cabal or on the whole--claiming agency with respect to the weather.

Job 38:28-29, "Hath the rain a father? or who hath begotten the drops of dew? Out of whose womb came the ice? and the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it?

Ps.107:33,35, "He turneth rivers into a wilderness, and the watersprings into dry ground;... He turneth the wilderness into a standing water, and dry ground into watersprings."

Is.5:6, "I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it."

Is.42:15, "I will make waste mountains and hills, and dry up all their herbs; and I will make the rivers islands, and I will dry up the pools."

Is.50:2, "Wherefore, when I came, was there no man? when I called, was there none to answer? Is my hand shortened at all, that it cannot redeem? or have I no power to deliver? behold, at my rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a wilderness: their fish stinketh, because there is no water, and dieth for thirst."

Jer.5:24, "Neither say they in their heart, Let us now fear the Lord our God, that giveth rain, both the former and the latter, in his season."

Jer.10:13, "When he uttereth his voice, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens, and he causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth; he maketh lightnings with rain, and bringeth forth the wind out of his treasures."

Jer.14:22, "Are there any among the vanities of the Gentiles that can cause rain? or can the heavens give showers? art not thou he, O Lord our God? therefore we will wait upon thee: for thou hast made all these things."
The claim that man is heating or cooling the planet, or is making rain or withholding it, is CONCEIT, "vanity of the Gentiles."

Jer.51:36, "Therefore thus saith the Lord; Behold, I will plead thy cause, and take vengeance for thee; and I will dry up her sea, and make her springs dry."

Ezk.32:7, "I will cover the sun with a cloud...."

Amos 4:7, "And also I have withholden the rain from you, when there were yet three months to the harvest: and I caused it to rain upon one city, and caused it not to rain upon another city: one piece was rained upon, and the piece whereupon it rained not withered."

Jon.4:8, "When the sun did arise, God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat...."

Nah.1:4, "He rebuketh the sea, and maketh it dry, and drieth up all the rivers: Bashan languisheth, and Carmel, and the flower of Lebanon languisheth."

Hag.1:11, "I called for a drought upon the land, and upon the mountains, and upon the corn, and upon the new wine, and upon the oil, and upon that which the ground bringeth forth, and upon men, and upon cattle, and upon all the labour of the hands."

Zech. 10:1, "Ask ye of the Lord rain in the time of the latter rain; so the Lord shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to every one grass in the field."

Mt.5:45, "He maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."
I'm not disagreeing that man is responsible for proper stewardship. Nor, that he is incapable of doing LOCAL damage to the environment. But all mankind together has not a tiny fraction of the influential energy toward this planet that the sun has. It is God's sun (Ps.148:3), and it praises its Maker. They are his clouds, and they do his bidding. The weather is something ENTIRELY out of man's puny controls.

It is hugely and amusingly ironic to me that now that the God-haters have taken the rainbow, His promise never to destroy the earth with floods again, and given it another meaning of their own, one of their biggest panics is about flooding.

It is unbelievably frustrating to me that every time a wildfire ignites (history shows us that California has always been prey to huge wildfires, even from pioneer days), or a sparrow falls, it's now caused by global warming. Spring tides are now caused by global warming. If it rains: global warming. If it doesn't rain: global warming. Every hurricane is the worst that's ever struck (????). It's incredible how much they illogically pin on this thing.

It is very alarming to me how much very expensive and onerous policy is made according to this falsity, this latest idol of the nations: gas taxes in France (for which the government is being chastised); restrictions on emissions; taxes on carbon; extra fees ( I was charged an additional "environmental fee" once when buying gasoline in Costa Rica). It's hateful because it can personally affect my bottom line, which is never very robust.

It is hugely and amusingly ironic to me that now that the God-haters have taken the rainbow, His promise never to destroy the earth with floods again, and given it another meaning of their own, one of their biggest panics is about flooding.

It is unbelievably frustrating to me that every time a wildfire ignites (history shows us that California has always been prey to huge wildfires, even from pioneer days), or a sparrow falls, it's now caused by global warming. Spring tides are now caused by global warming. If it rains: global warming. If it doesn't rain: global warming. Every hurricane is the worst that's ever struck (????). It's incredible how much they illogically pin on this thing.

It is very alarming to me how much very expensive and onerous policy is made according to this falsity, this latest idol of the nations: gas taxes in France (for which the government is being chastised); restrictions on emissions; taxes on carbon; extra fees ( I was charged an additional "environmental fee" once when buying gasoline in Costa Rica). It's hateful because it can personally affect my bottom line, which is never very robust.

It’s not just the environment, either. The fallen human heart wants nothing more that to shift blame to something for his or her circumstances. Poverty? Poor education. School shooting? Racism. Violent teenager? Bad parenting. It goes on and on and on...

When Adam and Eve were confronted by God after the Fall, they promptly resorted to the first acts of self-justification in history. Adam justified his transgression by indicting God and the woman: “The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat” (Gen. 3:12). Eve’s self-justification was similar: “The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat” (Gen. 3:13). Both blamed the world-system: it exploited the innocent and led them ignorantly and inoffensively into sin. Thus, Adam and Eve pleaded, first, victimization, and, second, they indicted the “victimizer”, God. Belief in victimization leads always to an emphasis on self-justification by indictment. The sinner piles one reason upon another to invert the moral order of the universe and make God the criminal and sinner, and man the holy and offended innocent.

[...]

Men justify themselves by indicting the sins of others, the sins of society, of other Christians, of blacks, whites, or other races, of husband, wife, or parents, and so on. The sins of others are enormously interesting to us: we measure ourselves against others and glow with self-righteousness. Supremely, of course, man loves to indict God: this is at the heart of sin. Sin is man’s justification of his will and an indictment of God’s word. Man needs justification, whatever he does, and whoever he is. He will indict God and man to claim it.

—R. J. Rushdoony, Systematic Theology, vol. 1, 644-47.​

Last edited:
I believe global warming is a legitimate concern, though not the apocalypse some claim, and I believe that those who are using scripture to claim global warming is impossible are abusing scripture in much the same way as our forefathers did in their condemnations of heliocentrism. If it may be the secret will of God to bring famine or floods by such means to punish man for his iniquity, why should we deny that such is possible? Our Puritan forefathers saw the war of the three kingdoms as God's righteous judgment on their kingdoms for their hardness of heart and fasted, and our nations are far more ungodly than they were, so with our scientists telling us that the climate is becoming more hazardous, perhaps we should be willing to fast too, rather than imagining that it is impossible that God would judge the nations before his final judgment and give them an opportunity to repent and receive mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back