Glo: Fancy new Bible software

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Puritan Board Sophomore
Has anybody heard of, or tried Glo? I first came across it in an online Christian book shop. It appears to be an unusual combination of Bible software, an encyclopedia, and an interface you'd expect to see from Apple.

It's features are more or less as follows:
  • KJV translation
  • NIV translation
  • More translations to come
  • 2,382 High resolution photos
  • 7,500 Encyclopedia articles
  • 463 Virtual reality tours
  • 3.5+ hours of HD video
  • 689 Works of art
  • 147 maps
  • Windows only right now
  • Mac support coming in 2010
  • Web support coming in 2010
  • Mobile support coming in 2010
  • Single user license allows you to install on up to three computers

It does look very nice, and I'd love to try it, but at $80 AUD, it's not something I want to dive right into. There is evidently a sample version that has been mailed around to certain individuals, but is not available to the public, although the developers encourage people to share it.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

ESword has more translations, more resources, and is cheaper unless you want to add a batch of modern translations.

Looks pretty, but perhaps a bit weak on the actual study side of things (commentaries, Greek, Hebrew, Lexicons, etc). I'll stick with Xiphos in Ubuntu. What a program!

Has anybody heard of, or tried Glo? I first came across it in an online Christian book shop. It appears to be an unusual combination of Bible software, an encyclopedia, and an interface you'd expect to see from Apple.

It's features are more or less as follows:
  • KJV translation
  • NIV translation
  • More translations to come
  • 2,382 High resolution photos
  • 7,500 Encyclopedia articles
  • 463 Virtual reality tours
  • 3.5+ hours of HD video
  • 689 Works of art
  • 147 maps
  • Windows only right now
  • Mac support coming in 2010
  • Web support coming in 2010
  • Mobile support coming in 2010
  • Single user license allows you to install on up to three computers

It does look very nice, and I'd love to try it, but at $80 AUD, it's not something I want to dive right into. There is evidently a sample version that has been mailed around to certain individuals, but is not available to the public, although the developers encourage people to share it.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

David, it is much like a high octane version of the old Illumina program. It excells in graphics, videos, and the like. It would not be the program you would want for "study" of the Bible. It would represent fun eye candy to play with for a diversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back