Getting 2019's Devotional Reading Organized

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Aside from my usual daily Bible-reading, here are the devotional works I'll use next year:

Ears from Harvested Sheaves, edited by S. Philpot and D. M. Philpot; reprint (Harpenden, England: Gospel Standard Strict Baptist Trust, Ltd., 1977). This is a daily devotional consisting of excerpts from J. C. Philpot's sermons, edited by his daughters (1st edition, 1884; 2nd edition, 1896).

Daily Readings from the Early Church Fathers, edited by Nick Needham (Fearn, Scotland: Christian Heritage, 2017)

I Shall Not Die, But Live: Facing Death with Gospel Hope by Douglas Taylor (Edinburgh: The Banner of Truth Trust, 2016) It won't quite get me through the entire year (there are 247 readings), but close enough.

A Journey Toward Heaven: A Daily Devotional from the Sermons of Jonathan Edwards, edited by Dustin W. Benge (Grand Rapids: Reformation Heritage Books, 2012)

Daily Readings from All Four Gospels for Morning and Evening, compiled by Robert Sheehan (Welwyn Garden City, England: Evangelical Press, 2015) This was originally published in two volumes (1982 and 1985) and consists of excerpts from J. C. Ryle's Expository Thoughts on the four gospels (except the readings for December 20-26, from John 21.15-17, which are taken from Ryle's sermons on that passage).

That should hold me!

Anyone else thinking about next year's devotional reading (if you do that)?

I’ve been thinking about what my daily Bible reading will be—haven’t thought about devotional books yet.

I’m assuming those won’t be read all at the same time, but one after another?

My pastor a couple days ago recommended to my family Voices from the Past by Richard Rushing (editor). He said that, in his opinion, it was the best devotional printed today, hands down. I'm excited to get my hands on it.

Your list looks fantastic! Regarding I Shall Not Die, But Live (in which subject matter I am very interested), if you read two entries every three days, it will fit almost exactly into a year. So, you could do, for example, two days on one day off every three days.

I start my morning with a cup of coffee and the M'Cheyne 1 year Bible reading plan. I read various Christian related books in addition to that. My evening (9PM) M'Cheyne BRP ends my day.
As an adjunct to the plan I read D.A. Carson's 'For the Love of God,' a two volume commentary on each days readings. Vol 1 comments on the morning reading, vol 2 on the evening. This is both devotional, and educational.
I highly recommend a Bible reading plan. I began the plan in 2015, the first year I read the Bible from cover to cover. I intend to continue this plan for as many of my remaining years as I'm able. D.Martyn Lloyd-Jones used the M'Cheyne plan for over 50 years.
Of course I do read additional books of the Bible in addition to the above plan.
Here is a very well done PDF calendar for keeping track of the daily/nightly readings, with the addition of M'Cheyne's comments and instructions for using the plan.

I’ve been thinking about what my daily Bible reading will be—haven’t thought about devotional books yet.

I’m assuming those won’t be read all at the same time, but one after another?

No, all at the same time - the daily devotional page for each book.

My pastor a couple days ago recommended to my family Voices from the Past by Richard Rushing (editor). He said that, in his opinion, it was the best devotional printed today, hands down. I'm excited to get my hands on it.

Your list looks fantastic! Regarding I Shall Not Die, But Live (in which subject matter I am very interested), if you read two entries every three days, it will fit almost exactly into a year. So, you could do, for example, two days on one day off every three days.

There are two volumes, both edited by Rushing. Your pastor is right - they're fabulous. I used both volumes this year.

I start my morning with a cup of coffee and the M'Cheyne 1 year Bible reading plan. I read various Christian related books in addition to that. My evening (9PM) M'Cheyne BRP ends my day.
As an adjunct to the plan I read D.A. Carson's 'For the Love of God,' a two volume commentary on each days readings. Vol 1 comments on the morning reading, vol 2 on the evening. This is both devotional, and educational.
I highly recommend a Bible reading plan. I began the plan in 2015, the first year I read the Bible from cover to cover. I intend to continue this plan for as many of my remaining years as I'm able. D.Martyn Lloyd-Jones used the M'Cheyne plan for over 50 years.
Of course I do read additional books of the Bible in addition to the above plan.
Here is a very well done PDF calendar for keeping track of the daily/nightly readings, with the addition of M'Cheyne's comments and instructions for using the plan.

Both of Carson's volumes are excellent. I read both volumes this year (I actually had nine volumes of daily devotionals I was using, and I'll admit it was a bit much!)

I will be continuing in "Voices from the Past" volume 1 as I started it late in the year. I read this in the evening. I also read from IVP's "Ancient Christian Doctrine" as daily devotionals. There are incredible gems of Christology in these volumes from the Early Church.
I will be reading small morning portions from Gurnall's "Christian in Complete Armour." I hope to reread this work many times during my life.
I will be working my way through the works of Richard Sibbes next year. After I finish those, I will move onto the works of William Bridge.
I also pray to read more Christian biographies next year. I am working through Lloyd-Jones two volume by Murray right now. After that, I hope to move onto Whitefield by Dalimore. I have been reading the biographies on my lunch break which has been nice. I also found it edifying to read the mini-biographies in Benjamin Brook's "The Lives of the Puritans" and "Meet the Puritans" devotionally.
I hope I can make the above work as I also plan to make it a year of intensive theological studies. I just started Albert Martin's Pastoral Theology volume 1 this morning. I am pretty excited to work through this.

Deo Volente,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back