Get behind me, Satan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Joseph

Puritan Board Senior
Sometimes I feel we shouldn’t be trying to fight too hard against hardened princes and principalities in today’s day of accelerated alternative truths. If we have a platform to fight cultural and political powers should we even bother fighting a war that feels as much to do with semantics than anything else? Can God be using false doctrines to bring others into contact with true doctrine? I guess I’m asking if we can fight too hard against God’s will to take things meant for evil turned for good? If aspects of woke theology are bordering on heresy can God still be using it to bring some on the wrong side in contact with those espousing biblical truth while enabling those who are somewhat isolated (yet possess great knowledge of Reformed theology and biblical truth) to open up to those they would normally not?

Last edited:
I find it interesting how certain people were driving out demons in Jesus' name, and He said "whoever is not against Him is for Him", and allowed it to keep happening, though they didn't quite know what this person's theology was. It's nothing definitive, just interesting to see.

John said to him, "Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us." But Jesus said, "Do not stop him, for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me. For the one who is not against us is for us.
Mark 9:38‭-‬40

To my last comment, I’ve recently read Christianity and Liberalism by Machen and have appreciated his clarity in defining the enemy of his day. That same enemy is still here and is willing to hold orthodox positions, but they twist their end. How do we come out strong and bring clarity?

To clarify/summarize my point, at what point do we accept things are unfolding exactly according to God’s sovereign purpose? Do we keep trying to engage and set the biblical record straight or can we actually be fighting against God’s sovereign perfect plan as He is in control of all things which unfold exactly according to his will. Should we be forsaking social media and instead trying to bring people to church? Or can/should we do both?

I found these non-Reformed articles on apologetics interesting...
https://1517.org/1517blog/5responsestopostmodernity?format=amp

https://www.oneplace.com/ministries...cs-has-a-bad-name-by-sean-mcdowell-16957.html

Challies & White on apologetics:

https://www.challies.com/general-news/james-white-on-apologetics/

If anyone has any links related to the Reformed Christians true calling in this world and this present culture I would be truly grateful. I feel so affected by outside events I’m forgetting how I should live. I think Christians are feeling so defensive they are forgetting how to do good and live faithfully

Last edited:
i kind of thought of this as I read the new issue of OPC’s New Horizon which was devoted to racial reconciliation. It seemed to strike a pretty good balance and reflected a kind of charity missed in online theological debate. If we were all face to face would we be more charitable and yet cling to biblical orthodoxy and truth (while embracing the experiences and circumstances of all members of the body)? I think most of us would.

We are told to contend for the faith and fight false doctrine. Let God worry about how He is using it.

At the church level, a leader can only get involved in so many controversies. His primary duty is to care for his flock. Must pick and choose which are threatening his flock. See how Jesus addresses the churches in Revelation. They were dealing with different issues and accountable to fighting the ones in their own backyard. Shepherding people toward truth and away from false teaching work hand in hand.

At the seminary level its different as profs need to help train men to engage with a variety of potential issues they might face.

To clarify/summarize my point, at what point do we accept things are unfolding exactly according to God’s sovereign purpose? Do we keep trying to engage and set the biblical record straight or can we actually be fighting against God’s sovereign perfect plan as He is in control of all things which unfold exactly according to his will. Should we be forsaking social media and instead trying to bring people to church? Or can/should we do both?

I found these non-Reformed articles on apologetics interesting...
https://1517.org/1517blog/5responsestopostmodernity?format=amp

https://www.oneplace.com/ministries...cs-has-a-bad-name-by-sean-mcdowell-16957.html

Challies & White on apologetics:

https://www.challies.com/general-news/james-white-on-apologetics/

If anyone has any links related to the Reformed Christians true calling in this world and this present culture I would be truly grateful. I feel so affected by outside events I’m forgetting how I should live. I think Christians are feeling so defensive they are forgetting how to do good and live faithfully
We each have our station in life and in the church. We are still reading and being helped by Machen, as mentioned above, and finding it relevant and helpful to keep our thinking straight, because he was a man whom God used in his station to correct error in his time. The church has a record of the writings of leaders in the church against heresy and error and in doing so sound doctrine was arrived at, so that we can now know how to think. But for most of us, our station is to carry on and live the faithful Christian life as directed in the Scriptures, privatley and corporately. The job of refuting error in a public way falls to those in the church who have been called and equipped to do it. We do good and live faithfully just as the church and its members have always done. We’re directed in any specifics by our sessions. Nothing has changed, really. It’s just that evil is more public and abounding more, and has the predominant voice in the public square.

I think we need to pay attention to drawing nearer to each other in our local congregations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back