George Gillespie on David Dickson as an interpreter of scripture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Only a brief comment, but an interesting observation:

Mr David Dickson (an interpreter who hath taken very great pains in the textual study of Scripture) …

George Gillespie, Aaron’s rod blossoming; or, the divine ordinance of church government vindicated (1646; Edinburgh, 1844), p. 95.

Please forgive my ignorance but I don't quite understand the significance of Gillespie commenting that Dickson was meticulous in his textual study. Please enlighten me.

Please forgive my ignorance but I don't quite understand the significance of Gillespie commenting that Dickson was meticulous in his textual study. Please enlighten me.

It is significant because of the significance of the person that said it; the comment reveals the esteem Dickson was held in by a prominent contemporary.

Unrelated question. Dickson did not enter academia until 1640 (and then it was Glasgow); are there records who the teachers Gillespie studied under at St. Andrews 1629-31ish?

That is an excellent question, Chris. Regretfully, I am in Ballymena today and tomorrow (dv) doing research in old newspapers. It may be Thursday or Friday before I can get a chance to look into this question.

The question just now occurred to me or I would have investigated it for the 2013 publication of his EPC. His cousin Patrick Simpson said that Gillespie "was very young when laureate, before he was seventeen." That's the BA degree I assume. That would put the date at 1630 about the time he was supported by Kirkcaldy Presbytery to study theology at St. Andrews (I assume St. Mary's College?). I do find online that the principal at St. Andrews after Melville in 1607 was Robert Howier who was followed by Rutherford n 1647. Some records are listed here, the most interesting would be "prizes and scholarship material from 1554-1889" but records on students and professors from the seventeenth century look scant. Middleton notes "Donald Beaton, in a sketch of Gillespie, observes, 'He is credited with having given evidence during his university course not only of more than ordinary mental power, but of genius.' Free Presbyterian Magazine, Vol. 43, 121." I am wondering if that is just based on his age when laureate or if some other evidence? In the analytical piece prefacing the 2013 edition of EPC it is very clear Gillespie had a fine classical education (the classical references and allusions are numerous). He probably went to grammar school at the Kirkcaldy Burgh School founded in 1582; the minister at the time (Spens) was charged with being one of the teachers. Is likely John Gillespie, George's father, had the same duties? I note he was appointed as second minister and the old Kirk had two ministers until the mid 18th century. David Spens had been the minister since 1578 and stepped down for health in 1625 and John Gillespie took the primary spot for only two years, dying in 1627 when George would have been only 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back