George Dodd Armstrong: “Now we are the sons of God”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... WONDERFUL is the relationship which Christ Jesus has established by his obedience unto death between God and his disciples. “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God; and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ” (Romans viii. 16, 17), writes Paul. “Ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people” (1 Peter ii. 9), writes Peter. “Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that when he shall appear we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is” (1 John iii. 2), writes John.

But more wonderful than the words of Paul or Peter or John are the words of our Lord himself, quoted above. In heaven alone can we hope fully to understand their meaning. “The glory which thou gavest me” — not the glory which belonged to me as the eternal Son, but the glory which thou gavest me as “the Word made flesh;” the glory of a spotless righteousness which as “the Son of man” I have wrought out for my people; the glory of free access to God, and communion with him; the glory arising from the indwelling of the Spirit, through which sinful man becomes “a temple of the Holy Ghost;” the glory of being “workers together with me” in the salvation of a lost world. For all this there can be but one reason given: “God has loved us, even as he loved Christ.” ...

For more, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back