Genuine Christian Actors/Actresses

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mistake...Not many Travis Speegles out there I'd assume.

Not many Ivan Schoens either. I was looking rounding the net for information for my family names and I found one more Ivan Schoen in Florida. He's 76 years old.

Probably a nice chap. :rolleyes:

It's said Mandy Moore is, and Willie Ames of (Eight is Enough--and of course Bibleman)

Now, I wouldn't call some of these "Christians" but here is a list that I found..

Famous Christians in Sports, Entertainment, More

Actors
Willie Aames - former actor ("Eight is Enough") turned "Bibleman"
Corbin Allred - actor, "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"; "Teen Angel"
Billy Barty - actor, famed "Little People" activist, "Willow"
Justine Bateman - actress
Gary Burghoff - actor ("Radar O'Reilly" on M.A.S.H.)
Gary Busey - actor
Kirk Cameron - actor, "Growing Pains"
Carl Clarfalio - actor ("The Thing" in Corman's FF film)
Lacey Chabert - Actress from "Party of Five"
Anna Chlumsky - Actress
Deezer D - Actor on "E.R.", Christian rapper
Anne B. Davis - "Alice" on the Brady Bunch
Clifton Davis - movie star
Hazel Dawn - movie star
Laraine Day - movie star
Mark Deakins - actor ("Star Trek: Insurrection", Axum on "Star Trek: Voyager")
Donna Douglas - actress ("Ellie May Clampett" on "Beverly Hillbillies")
Roma Downey - actress on "Touched by an Angel"
Robert Duvall - actor
Aaron Eckhart - movie star ("The Pledge", "Erin Brockovich", "Possession", etc.)
Dale Evans (1912-2001) - actress
Kim Fields - actor, "Facts of Life"
Rhonda Fleming - movie star
Mel Gibson - movie star
Ryan Gosling - actor ("The Believer", Hercules on "Young Hercules")
Andy Griffith - actor, "Andy Griffith Show"
Charlton Heston - actor, "The Ten Commandments"
Tom Hanks - movie star
Dean Jagger - movie star (Academy Award for "Twelve O'Clock High", etc.)
Dean Jones - movie star
Danny Kamekona - actor (popular Hawaiian actor; "Hawaii 5-O"; Miyagi's rival "Sato" in "Karate Kid II")
Richard Kiel - actor; Jaws in The Spy Who Loved Me; Moonraker
Carol Lawrence - singer/dancer/actress, once married to Robert Goulet
Olivia Newton-John - popular Australian-born singer, actress
Bruce Marchiano - actor, Jesus in The Gospel According to Matthew
Gavin McLeod - actor, Captain Stubing on The Love Boat
Terry Moore - Academy Award-nominated actress (Come Back, Little Sheba, etc.)
Tia and Tamer Mowry - Actresses on Sister Sister
Robert Newman - actor
Chuck Norris - actor, "Walker Texas Ranger"
Austen O'Brian - actor on Promised Land
Merlin Olsen - football player, actor (Little House on the Prairie; Aaron's Way)
Jennifer O'Neill - actor
Donny Osmond and Marie Osmond - popular singers, TV show hosts
Kelly Packard - Wonder Years; Blossom; Step By Step; Baywatch; Boy Meets World
Austin Peck - Soap Opera actor
Pat Priest - actress ("Marilyn Munster" on The Munsters TV show; Easy Come, Easy Go w/Elvis Presley)
Della Reese - actress, "Touched by an Angel"
Judge Reinhold - actor
Fred Rogers - "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood"
Roy Rogers (1911-1998) - TV star
Mickey Rooney - actor
Jane Russell - movie star
John Schneider - actor, "The Dukes of Hazzard", founder, FaithWorks!
Connie Seleca - actress
Nancy Stafford - actress, Matlock; MacGyver
David Suchet - actor ("Hercule Poirot" on the PBS series Mystery)
Mr T. - Actor
Russ Tamblyn - actor (Peyton Place, West Side Story, etc.)
Ben Vereen - Actor
Paul Walker - movie star (Varsity Blues, Meet the Deedles, The Fast and the Furious, etc.)
Robert Walker - actor (Strangers on a Train, etc.)
Lisa Whelchel - actress, The Facts of Life
Johnny Whitaker - actor, Family Affair
Demond Wilson - actor, Lamont Sanford
Marie Windsor - movie star
Elijah Wood - actor
Heather Young - TV star, Land of Giants
Loretta Young - movie star (Best Actress Academy Award for The Farmer's Daughter)

TV/Movie Producers and Directors
Martha Williamson - executive producer "Touched by an Angel"
John Woo - director, "Mission Impossible II", "Broken Arrow"
Don Bluth - animation director/producer (Land Before Time; Titan A.E.; The Secret of NIMH; etc.)
Richard Dutcher - director/screenwriter/actor (Girl Crazy; God's Army)
Kieth Merrill (Academy award-winning IMAX director; "The Great American Cowboy; "Amazon", etc.)
Jerry Molen - movie producer (Schindler's List; Jurassic Park, Twister; Hook; Rain Man; etc.)
Richard Rich - animation director (The King and I; The Black Cauldron)
Ken Wales - producer, "Christy"
Michael Warren - producer, "Family Matters"

Willie Ames, Kirk Cameron, and Clifton Davis (a minister in California) are solid believers. Mel Gibson, a Roman Catholic, who is very active in the Tridetine Rite, and prone to outbursts and drunkeness, Della Reese, a minister in a new age cult in California, and Martha Williamson, a new ager are not Christians.

Steve McQueen

Didn't know that. :eek:

That's news to me as well.

Glad to hear Miley Cyrus is a believer in Christ. Know she's been going through a rough time of it lately. May God keep her safe in the industry she works in.

I read recently in National Review in their "The Week" section that Miley Cyrus just posed for Vanity Fair Magazine wearing nothing but a bedsheet. She's 15 and her father was with her and gave his consent to the photo shoot. This is wrong on so many levels I can't even start the list...

Daniel:banghead:

Yes, would any of you allow your daughter to pose for a magazine, and then tell the world you are "born again?" I don't think so.

Two you may not think of: Bono and Bettie Page.

Bono might not be that surprising, other than the fact that it's hard to imagine the lead singer of one of the top 5 all-time great rock bands being a believer. But he does make a clear profession of faith, and in a recent interview basically said you had to believe Christ or reject Him, and that there was no middle ground (he claims to believe in Him). When you think about it, about the worst thing U2 does is use profanity in some of their concerts. Their lyrics are relatively "clean" otherwise. So, I would tend to accept his profession of faith as legitimate.

As for Bettie Page, she was one of the first and still "greatest" nude pin-up models of the 1950's. She had a somewhat strange conversion experience in her 40's, and became reclusive afterwards, but is said to have maintained her faith, despite some serious mental problems. I'm not sure of the exact nature of her belief, but from what I've heard it was a real repentance and faith.

The idea that Bono from U2 is a believer has been circulated for years. I like his music but until I see a real change in his life, I will not be convinced he is a believer. He was raised a Papist and knows about holiness as much as the average pagan. He is a strong humanitarian but this does not make one a Christian.

Bono from what I understand is a "Mel Gibson"-type RC.

I think he would profess to be evangelical.

What does that mean? Is he an active member of a church? I know people that profess to be evangelical and are as pagan as they come. I have heard the obscenities like four letter words, that I will not repeat, come from his lips. I am not convinced.

Last edited:
Pretty dubious list:

Donny and Marie are Mormons after all.
And Gary Busey is crazy. I think he has a church in his living room.
Given Justine Bateman's guest role on ARrested Development, I doubt she has a credible profession.

If anyone wants the name of the denomination that publishes that tract & would like to see if it's still in print, just send me a PM... I will abide by their wishes not to go really public with their stance on "what's wrong" with play-acting.

Margaret

Margaret, is any of these the pamphlet in question?

Lol, we are open about our beliefs in that respect, seeing they are freely available on the interweb.

The Evil of Drama
THE CHRISTIAN AND THE FILM ARTS
The Christian and Entertainment -- by Rev. Dale Kuiper

If anyone wants the name of the denomination that publishes that tract & would like to see if it's still in print, just send me a PM... I will abide by their wishes not to go really public with their stance on "what's wrong" with play-acting.

Margaret

Margaret, is any of these the pamphlet in question?

Lol, we are open about our beliefs in that respect, seeing they are freely available on the interweb.

The Evil of Drama
THE CHRISTIAN AND THE FILM ARTS
The Christian and Entertainment -- by Rev. Dale Kuiper

Yep: "The Evil of Drama" is it... A good pamphlet with much for us to think about as to who we are in Jesus Christ and how we are to spend our waking hours (if we are regenerate, we are to spend all of them to His glory)... And I fail constantly. TCM runs something like "A Night at the Opera" or any other Marx brothers. movie or "early Woody Allen" like "Take the Money and Run" or "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" or any other comedy and -- I'm there in front of it... :eek:

The denomination at issue was "not interested in the Detroit area" when I was fervently looking to bring some Reformed congregation here. The FCoS(Cont.) was. 'Nuff said about the former.

Also: "Bono as Born-Again Christian..." No, I thought that was actually "Bono as Subject of Urban (Christian) Legend." :) :think: And then I found this: WORLD Magazine | Today's News, Christian Views. (Addendum: you can find this article in its entirety by Googling "Is Bono a Christian?" The link here only takes you to a synopsis of the article. "World Mag:" BOO!)

Stephen Charnock's admonition that "it is a grave sin to presume to judge the state of another man's soul," whether saved or lost, still holds for me.

As to all of these people: I just don't know. We won't know until we "get there" ourselves.

Margaret

Stephen Charnock's admonition that "it is a grave sin to presume to judge the state of another man's soul," whether saved or lost, still holds for me.

As to all of these people: I just don't know. We won't know until we "get there" ourselves.

AMEN!! Well said, sister Margaret!

The idea that Bono from U2 is a believer has been circulated for years. I like his music but until I see a real change in his life, I will not be convinced he is a believer. He was raised a Papist and knows about holiness as much as the average pagan. He is a strong humanitarian but this does not make one a Christian.

Stephen, if you look at his quotes I posted above it's hard to argue he has a pretty genuine faith. As for a "real change in his life," I'm not sure what you mean other than his language, which is admittedly pretty salty. I tend to be as skeptical as anyone about "celebrity Christians," but I'm pretty convinced Bono is a true believer. He may need to mature in some areas, but don't we all?

Every actor on that list that I've looked up has been a member of the LDS cult.

Chuck Norris would not appreciate that..... :eek:

# When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
# Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

# Chuck Norris does not get frostbite. Chuck Norris bites frost

:lol::lol:

Yeah, there's nothing I've ever seen from Bono that would lead me to question the credibility of his confession. I rather appreciate the unwaivering witness he's given a reporter or two about the exclusivity of Christ as the only Savior of mankind. Due to him being... him, the reporters seem to humble themselves rather than cross ways with Bono, the humanitarian that puts humanitarians to shame. *shrug*

As to Chuck Norris, I didn't look him up, because I don't question really whether he is a believer or not. So far as I know, he is.

# When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

Chuck jokes are a Riot!

Olivia Newton-John?

For real????

Here's a recent quote from her fan site:
Quotes

"To me luxury is to be at home with my daughter, and the occasional massage doesn't hurt." -Olivia Newton-John.

The "Patrick McDermott gone missing" episode remains a bit tawdry...

"Fruit of the spirit?" Hopefully, in the bud, but -- not overly obvious right now.

Margaret

Not sure that I understand your comment? Did you mean to imply that staying home with your daughter or getting a massage shows a lack "fruit of the Spirit"?:scratch:

Gail,

My son sent me this site a couple of weeks ago; you might be interested in it. I was ROFLOL when I first saw it: Chuck Norris Facts

Margaret

Olivia Newton-John?

For real????

Here's a recent quote from her fan site:
Quotes

"To me luxury is to be at home with my daughter, and the occasional massage doesn't hurt." -Olivia Newton-John.

The "Patrick McDermott gone missing" episode remains a bit tawdry...

"Fruit of the spirit?" Hopefully, in the bud, but -- not overly obvious right now.

Margaret

Not sure that I understand your comment? Did you mean to imply that staying home with your daughter or getting a massage shows a lack "fruit of the Spirit"?:scratch:

No, no -- to me, "luxury" recently was spending the day before Mother's Day at the Toledo Zoo, just my son and I... No, that's not what I meant. Our children are our good gifts from the Lord, and massages, too, are good (I'm somewhat younger than Olivia Newton-John, but close enough that yeah, there's some arthritis, and massages feel pretty good, especially when done by a good physical therapist)...

No, I guess "luxury," real luxury -- might consist in some mention of the benefits of knowing the Lord, but maybe (probably) I'm being too judgmental and legalistic - again. The Patrick McDermott episode in ONJ's life is a little questionable.

I do like her videos still. Here's one of my favorites, a duet with the great Anthony Warlow (seems totally unknown in this country, but he's a musical star in Australia - for obvious good reason):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m0i0G6qTz8]YouTube - Anthony and Olivia[/ame]

One reason this is so special to me is that both of these two stars also are cancer survivors...

Once again, I don't know anything about Olivia Newton-John's eternal destiny, or her current spiritual state. And I admit to presumption in judging whether that one pat answer of hers was evidence of "fruit of the Spirit."

Margaret

Current WWE wrestlers Chris Jericho and Shawn Michaels are also reported to be believers. I read Michael's testimony a few years back, and it's pretty amazing (it began with him reading a Bible his wife bought him for Christmas a few years ago, and he states that as he read, he was convinced that the Bible is truly God's word).

Not quite on the level of hollywood superstar, but I figured that it's worth mentioning.

Russell Crowe makes some ambiguous claims to faith...

FOXNews.com - Russell Crowe Plans to be Baptized in Chapel of His Australian Ranch - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Not sure what's going on there -- there doesn't seem to be any reference to Christ, but maybe there is more to it than Crowe explains. The whole story is pretty interesting... Crowe is certainly correct that it doesn't make much sense to baptize his children without being baptized himself... But baptism without reference to Christ makes even less sense.

FOXNews.com - Russell Crowe Plans to be Baptized in Chapel of His Australian Ranch - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Not sure what's going on there -- there doesn't seem to be any reference to Christ, but maybe there is more to it than Crowe explains. The whole story is pretty interesting... Crowe is certainly correct that it doesn't make much sense to baptize his children without being baptized himself... But baptism without reference to Christ makes even less sense.

I try not to be a stick in the mud but that is one lame testimony. I admit I am a doubting Thomas sometimes but "not until I see the" words "I have sinned and know Jesus alone can save" or something that looks like genuine realization of his state of being a dead man walking and Christ the giver of life.

I promise to ask for forgiveness if this is legit.

What is strange is that he's an Aussie and Pastor Winzer can probably verify that Australia (his neck of the woods anyway) is not known for religious activity among the people there, esp Christianity. Why would a Hollywood man and (an Australian one at that) bother with baptism? I bet his wife has something to do with it (hunch).

I try not to be a stick in the mud but that is one lame testimony. I admit I am a doubting Thomas sometimes but "not until I see the" words "I have sinned and know Jesus alone can save" or something that looks like genuine realization of his state of being a dead man walking and Christ the giver of life.

I promise to ask for forgiveness if this is legit.

What is strange is that he's an Aussie and Pastor Winzer can probably verify that Australia (his neck of the woods anyway) is not known for religious activity among the people there, esp Christianity. Why would a Hollywood man and (an Australian one at that) bother with baptism? I bet his wife has something to do with it (hunch).

Could be. Like you, I am by no means convinced that he believes in Christ (since he doesn't mention Christ), but it's odd to me that an unbeliever would have the impulse to baptize his children. You may be right that it's his wife's influence, but if that's the case, I wonder why he would discuss it with the media like this. It does sound like he disagrees with his own parents' approach of letting the children decide for themselves about God when they are old enough.

I also wonder who baptized the children -- clearly not a minister from a church that would demand the parents' profession of faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back