Genesis: Paradise Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no 2C violations. The majority of the film is scientific evidence proving creation. The last 10 minutes or so is about the Gospel which was pretty reformed with the exception that one or two of the scientists stated Jesus died for everyone. But they talk about God's justice against sin and hell etc. It was really good.

I watched the movie! I thought it presented the standard view of modern creation science well and in a clean fashion. Pretty much no stone unturned. The graphics were also pretty cool. I was pleased that they pretty much just read through Genesis 1 as they told the creation story.

Some weaknesses.
-I wish they had put the name/field of the person the first time they spoke. It is hard to determine how seriously to take what they are saying without knowing their background specialization.

-The graphics are a bit cheesy at points, i.e., you can definitely tell it is CGI. However, this might actually be a strength as I outline below.

-Some arguments are things a sharp astronomer or other scientist will see right through, which does not help the credibility of the presenters. Since I have read some in the creation science literature, I know they have a ready response to the skeptical scientist, but it would have been helpful for their credibility in the eyes of the scientist to at least make mention that they had thought about the obvious criticism (e.g., one scientist stated we do not know how stars form; the full truth is we do not know how to form them without dark matter; obviously, this would have led to a rabbit trail in the movie, but some acknowledgement that creation scientists are aware of this would have been helpful).

-There is the usual danger of putting the Bible in graphic form. Viewers should heed MW's warning in this old thread. Thankfully, the movie helps with this a bit by keeping some of the disputed details of Genesis 1 hidden away in a graphic blur, and that the graphics are obviously CGI will help keep the viewer from subconsiously ingraining this image in their mind as being what really happened. However, all artistic visions have to make choices, and those choices come from their prior beliefs. So caution must be had. To help with preventing an ingraining of a religious image, I found it helpful to think of the presentation as just a possible reconstruction of the history, instead of being a serious and careful reconstruction (even though I know they took great care; I'm just saying that having this mindset helped me resist making their image my own). Most of the movie is in documentary style anyway (i.e., talking with people), so this is not as big a problem in this movie/documentary (it really is more of a documentary about modern creation science views than a movie about Genesis 1, which is cool with me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back