General Bibliography on Natural Law / Two Kingdoms Doctrines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, friends, I intended this thread to be for bibliographical purposes. :doh: (Maybe a mod can re-title it to something more general?)

I'm trying to assemble a thorough bibliography (of things available in English!), on both natural law and the two kingdom doctrines. I understand there is a bibliography on the Between Two Worlds blog, as has been discussed here. Can anyone provide a bib on the two kingdom doctrines, or recommended reading? Also, what might be some standard critical works of these natural law/two kingdoms doctrines? I'm trying to get a balanced view on these things.

Thanks brothers, I appreciate your help. :coffee: :book2:

Chris Rhoades has done heroic work on collating what the magisterial Reformers thought on social ethics. While it doesn't deal with 2kingdomz or NL, per se, a lot of the names associated with NL are also dealt with by Chris. If he or Andrew is lurking they can find the link.

Hi Casey,

Here is a basic bib that Dr. VanDrunen gave me a while back . . .

Martin Luther, “Temporal Authority,” vol.45 in Luther’s Works
John Calvin, Institutes, Book 3, Chapter 14–16, and Book 4, Chapter 20 (Especially sections 1 and 2)
Church of Scotland, Second Book of Discipline, Chapter 1
Francis Turretin, Institutes, 2.486–90; 3.278–81
George Gillespie, Aaron’s Rod Blossoming, Book 2, Chapter 5
Wilhelmus a Brakel, The Christian’s Reasonable Service, 1.561–66
Stuart Robinson, The Church of God, (Epecially pp. 84–86)
Darryl Hart, A Secular Faith
David VanDrunen, A Biblical Case for Natural Law, Chapter 3
David VanDrunen, “The Two Kingdoms: A Reassessment of the Transformationist Calvin,” Calvin Theological Journal 40 (Nov 2005): 248–66.
David VanDrunen, “The Two Kingdoms Doctrine and the Relationship of Church and State in the Early Reformed Tradition,” Journal of Church and State 49 (Autumn 2007): 743–63.

Hi Casey,

Here is a basic bib that Dr. VanDrunen gave me a while back . . .

Martin Luther, “Temporal Authority,” vol.45 in Luther’s Works
John Calvin, Institutes, Book 3, Chapter 14–16, and Book 4, Chapter 20 (Especially sections 1 and 2)
Church of Scotland, Second Book of Discipline, Chapter 1
Francis Turretin, Institutes, 2.486–90; 3.278–81
George Gillespie, Aaron’s Rod Blossoming, Book 2, Chapter 5
Wilhelmus a Brakel, The Christian’s Reasonable Service, 1.561–66
Stuart Robinson, The Church of God, (Epecially pp. 84–86)
Darryl Hart, A Secular Faith
David VanDrunen, A Biblical Case for Natural Law, Chapter 3
David VanDrunen, “The Two Kingdoms: A Reassessment of the Transformationist Calvin,” Calvin Theological Journal 40 (Nov 2005): 248–66.
David VanDrunen, “The Two Kingdoms Doctrine and the Relationship of Church and State in the Early Reformed Tradition,” Journal of Church and State 49 (Autumn 2007): 743–63.

Lazareth, Christians in Society: Luther, the Bible, and Social Ethics.

Bornkamm, Luther's Doctrine of the Two Kingodoms in the Context of His Theology, trans, Karl Hertz

Interestingly, popular radio show host, Greg Koukl, critiques the two kingdoms.

I also think Two Cities, Two Loves: Christian Responsibility in a Crumbling Culture by Boice might be anothe to put on the list

Also, R.S. Clark has a bibliography here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back