Geerhardus Vos on Reformed theologians and republication

Discussion in 'Covenant Theology' started by Reformed Covenanter, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritanboard Commissioner

.... the older theologians did not always clearly distinguish between the covenant of works and the Sinaitic covenant. At Sinai it was not the "bare" law that was given, but a reflection of the covenant of works revived, as it were, in the interests of the covenant of grace continued at Sinai. ...

Geerhardus Vos, The Doctrine of the Covenant in Reformed Theology (Kindle Locations 412-414). Monergism Books. Kindle Edition.

2. jwright82

jwright82 Puritan Board Graduate

So did he affirm republication or what?

3. Reformed Covenanter

In that particular essay, I do not think that he did. I cannot remember off the top of my head what he says about the subject in his Reformed Dogmatics or in other writings. (I will try to check his RD later today if I get the time.) Still, regardless of his personal views, he had the historical honesty to admit that a form of republication was widely held by older Reformed divines.

4. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

So I take it you remember Vos' Reformed Dogmatics on 'the top of your head' and his Biblical Theology on 'the bottom of your head'?? ;);)
    I would be interested if you still have the time. Did he affirm Republication here?

5. Reformed Covenanter

In volume 3 of the Reformed Dogmatics, Geerhardus Vos affirms a pedagogical republication of the covenant of works in subservience to the covenant of grace:

When the covenant of works was broken, God could have rescinded this promise [of eternal life]. He was no longer bound to honor it. Nevertheless, He allowed the promise and the condition to stand and repeatedly be published anew, especially by the proclamation of the Sinaitic law (Lev 18:5, "The one who does them will live by them"; cf. Rom 10:5, "For Moses describes the righteousness that is by the law," etc.; Gal 3:12). Fulfilment of this condition from man's side was no longer conceivable; thus the repetition must have had a different significance. This significance can only be that after the fall God gave His covenant of grace, in which the same demand and promise are fulfilled by the Mediator. (132; emphases added)

6. Dachaser

Dachaser Puritan Board Doctor

So views similar to Dr Klein was part of Reformed tradition for awhile, do he did not just invent them first?

7. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

Kline didn't invent the idea of a typological element republished in the Sinai Covenant. Some of Kline's other views, like Common Grace order and intrusion ethics, are radically opposed to the Reformed thought.

8. Dachaser

How similar was his views regarding the Mossic Covenant as say held by some Reformed Baptists?

9. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

I think others have answered that question for you in other threads. In any case, I am not an expert on Reformed Baptist Covenant Theology, so I don't know.

10. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

Republication is not a new idea. What is meant by republication is what is important. Is a Covenant of works reinstated Administratively next to the Covenant of Grace in the Mosaic Covenant or just republished in the Covenant of Grace as law? The OPC Study Report sifts through this very good.
    https://www.opc.org/GA/republication.html

11. PuritanCovenanter

We discussed this in another Thread David. Reformed Baptist are all over the spectrum. Dr. Barcellos wrote a very good book you might enjoy reading. I read it many years ago.

The Family Tree of Reformed Biblical Theology

Subtitled Geerhardus Vos and John Owen–Their Methods of and Contributions to the Articulation of Redemptive History, this book is a comparative analysis of Vos and Owen in historical-theological context. The thesis is that Vos’ biblical-theological method should be viewed as a post-Enlightenment continuation of the pre-critical federal (i.e., covenant) theology of seventeenth-century Reformed orthodoxy.

https://www.rbap.net/our-books/the-family-tree-of-reformed-biblical-theology-by-richard-barcellos/

12. PuritanCovenanter

On a side note. I am not a fan of Vos in this area.

Here are some of my favorite authors on the subject.

https://rpcnacovenanter.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/taken-frompract/

https://rpcnacovenanter.wordpress.c...t-and-republication-of-the-covenant-of-works/

Samuel Rutherford
    The Covenant of Life chapter XI by Samuel Rutherford
    Anthony Burgess

Anthony Burgess’s Vindication of the Law and the Covenants

Robert Shaw
    An exposition of the confession of faith of the Westminster Assembly of divines
    Chapter 19
    John Ball
    Treatise on the Covenants

https://rpcnacovenanter.wordpress.c...apter-19-the-law-and-the-covenant-of-works-2/
    https://rpcnacovenanter.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/skirting-the-issue/

13. pressing_on

pressing_on Puritan Board Freshman

It's best to read Vos's primary texts quietly and alone and come up with your own thoughts on the matter, not relying on people's viewpoints (which can be helpful as a third-level means of understanding).

'Tis a great advantage that the best thinkers of this faith were able to write meaningfully to most readers who are teachable.

14. pressing_on

It has been a great privilege to be around to finally get Bavinck and Vos translated, see what they really said...

15. Romans922

Romans922 Puritan Board Professor

Kent, do you interact with anyone or just like repeating yourself over and over again?

16. pressing_on

I believe in the patience of the God in Romans 9:22.

17. PuritanCovenanter

I agree. Along with other great Dutch guys.

Drs. J van Gunderen and W. H. Velema
    Concise Reformed Dogmatics
    Bavinck on the Covenant of Grace

Why would anyone want to read my thoughts when they could read Herman Bavinck? Enjoy this tidbit. It is very, very, very good.

In the Covenant of Grace

Bavinck on Law and Gospel

18. Dachaser

Seens to be disagreement over if COG was in OT, and in just how really new the NC was.

19. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

You should put your posts here in my thread for convenience. :)

20. PuritanCovenanter

Okay...

21. PuritanCovenanter

Daniel,

I did a blog on Vos in 2014 you may get something from. The last three paragraphs of the blog are quotes from Michael Lynch's Blog saying, "Vos’s understanding of the Mosaic covenant is in line with confessional Reformed theology when he argues that the Mosaic administration and the law in particular, is grounded in the covenant of grace. The Mosaic economy is not a republication of the covenant of works where Israel merited the blessings or merited the continuation of the blessings."

https://rpcnacovenanter.wordpress.c...-vos-thoughts-concerning-the-mosaic-covenant/

22. Romans922

Romans922 Puritan Board Professor

what are you being patient about?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.