Galatians 1:8-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings, I am trying to find help to the significance that Paul uniquely repeats the same warning in consecutive verses. I have not found this description of emphasis duplicated in consecutive verses anywhere else in the Scriptures. Any suggested reading would be greatly appreciated.

8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!
9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed! -Galatians 1:8-9 (NASB)

Commentary

As we said before - That is, in the previous verse. It is equivalent to saying, “as I have just said;” see 2 Corinthians 7:3. It cannot be supposed that he had said this when he was with them, as it cannot be believed that he then anticipated that his doctrines would be perverted, and that another gospel would be preached to them. The sentiment of Galatians 1:8 is here repeated on account of its importance. It is common in the Scriptures, as indeed it is everywhere else, to repeat a declaration in order to deepen the impression of its importance and its truth. Paul would not be misunderstood on this point. He would leave no doubt as to his meaning. He would not have it supposed that he had uttered the sentiment in Galatians 1:8 hastily; and he therefore repeats it with emphasis.-
Albert Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible

John MacArthur: "this is the strongest language Paul ever used."

Last edited:
I honestly am having trouble articulating the question, the description of emphasis in these consecutive verses is unique. My first thought is there must be Significance.

Last edited:
the description of emphasis in these consecutive verses is unique. My first thought is there must be Significance.
Indeed. The significance is that

1st. The Gospel is the most glorious gift ever given to man.

2nd. This Gospel has been clearly revealed through the person and work of Christ and the teaching of his Apostles.

3rd. This Gospel is lost when false teachers add anything to it or take anything away from it.

4th. It is incumbent upon the churches of Christ to know the true Gospel and to judge those as heretics who teach in any way contrary to it.

5th. Churches that fail to do this, and embrace false gospels, forfeit their interest in the saving grace offered in the Gospel and their title as a "Church of Christ" (Gal. 4:11).​

Last edited:
I honestly am having trouble articulating the question, the description of emphasis in these consecutive verses is unique. My first thought is there must be Significance.

Repetition is of course a common literary form in Hebrew, and although the NT writers didn’t employ it nearly as often as the OT authors, Paul was still a Hebrew. It seems that he is highly agitated with the situation that occasioned the writing of his letter to the Galatians, and so perhaps he falls back on Hebrew rhetorical techniques.

I'm not sure what you mean. Exegetically, it is clear that Paul means to make emphatic what is being said. As for its hermeneutical implications, you'll have to be more specific.
In the context of:'principal of first mention', I was hoping to find a 'principal of unique mention' but it's very dark down here in the Rabbit hole.

A little background on my zeal, I live in the most secular city in the United States, Mill Valley CA. There is a Heretical virus sweeping through the State. Better known as (New Apostolic Reformation (NAR)

https://pulpitandpen.org/2016/11/14/wha ... -heresies/

http://youthapologeticstraining.com/grave-sucking/

“An appalling and horrible thing
Has happened in the land:
The prophets prophesy falsely,
And the priests rule on their own authority;
And My people love it so!
But what will you do at the end of it?
Jeremiah 5:30-31 (NASB)

A little background on my zeal, I live in the most secular city in the United States, Mill Valley CA. There is a Heretical virus sweeping through the State. Better known as (New Apostolic Reformation (NAR)
Perhaps you'd be willing to flesh out what you think the connection between the NAR and Galatians 1:8&9. It might help us better understand what you are getting at and have a more meaningful dialogue.

Pastor Chris S. Thank you for your question, looking forward to your insight.

Casting Pearls​
I have acquaintances that have recently joined the (NAR)
Some of these acquaintances were good people, good people that I have prayed with, and broke bread with. My hope was this was a stumble not a fall, but the time has come to leave a fool to his folly, for they have rejected the Word of God.
Sadly, some of these false teachers do not even know that they are presenting a false gospel. Galatians 1:8-9 address this with emphasis.
There is no connection between the (NAR) and the Word of God.

Apologies for lack of clarification and posting to the forum in Haste.

Last edited:
Thank you. That is very helpful. I am sorry to hear of your loss of fellowship with these individuals. Sadly, it is usually the case, that those preaching a false Christ, are the last ones to hear anything of it. May the Lord use your leaving them to stir them up to an earnest examination of their thinking in the light of Scripture. Pray earnestly for them and then rest in the wisdom, power, and goodness of your heavenly Father.

Paul's repetition in Galatians 1.8-9 isn't unique - not even in Galatians.

Here, in Galatians 2.16, Paul repeats the same thing three times in the same verse:

". . .yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Jesus Christ, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified." (ESV)

Notice, also, that Paul mentions being justified by faith in Jesus Christ three times in that one verse so that we have, in one verse, two ideas repeated three times each.

(Makes me wonder how much time FV people spend cutting this verse out of their Bibles.)

When Paul wants to emphasize something, he knows how to do it!

Last edited:
Paul's repetition in Galatians 1.8-9 isn't unique - not even in Galatians.

Here, in Galatians 2.16, Paul repeats the same thing three times in the same verse:

". . .yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Jesus Christ, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified." (ESV)

Notice, also, that Paul mentions being justified by faith in Jesus Christ three times in that one verse so that we have, in one verse, two ideas repeated three times each.

(Makes me wonder how much time FV people spend cutting this verse out of their Bibles.)

When Paul wants to emphasize something, he knows how to do it!
Richard, Thank you!

I noticed you posted a link to pulpit and pen.. be verrrryy careful with that website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back