Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Many faithful Steeler fans stay devoted to religion
By Craig Smith

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl Sunday remains a day of faith to many of those devoted to football.

Ron and Kathy Coder started by uniting fans of the Steelers, Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals at a historic Bellevue church.

"Jesus talks about finishing the race in the Bible," said Ron Coder, who played for the Denver Broncos, Seattle Seahawks and the Cardinals when they called St. Louis home. As coach of the Pittsburgh Passion women's football team, he instituted a chapel service before each game.

Football season can be rough at the home of the Rev. Chuck Gohn, lead minister at Bellevue Christian Church, which hosted the service. He's from St. Louis and is torn between the Cardinals and Steelers. His wife, Debbie, is a die-hard Browns fan.

"I try to keep peace," Gohn said, as the church filled up with people wearing black and gold. Even youth minister Chris Hill was welcomed in his Bengals jersey.

Kathy and Danny Nelson and their son, Matthew, of Brighton Heights, continued a family tradition by attending the 10:30 Mass at St. Peters Roman Catholic Church, the North Side church attended by members of the Rooney family, owner of the Steelers.

Dressed in Steelers jerseys or black and gold, the family has attended services there on just about every Super Bowl the Steelers have played in.

"It can't hurt," Kathy Nelson said.

At the Hilltop Baptist Church in Banksville, youth pastor Ron Jaworski -- no relation to the former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback -- incorporated the Immaculate Reception and the Steel Curtain Defense into his sermon entitled "Homefield Advantage."

The 7:45 p.m. Mass at Sacred Heart Church in Shadyside was canceled last night. Even the most devout local Catholic wasn't expected to be in church past 6 p.m., a church secretary said.

Craig Smith can be reached at [email protected] or 412-380-5646.
Back to headlines

"Jesus talks about finishing the race in the Bible," said Ron Coder, who played for the Denver Broncos, Seattle Seahawks and the Cardinals when they called St. Louis home. As coach of the Pittsburgh Passion women's football team, he instituted a chapel service before each game.

Perhaps he has confused Jesus with Paul?

Kathy and Danny Nelson and their son, Matthew, of Brighton Heights, continued a family tradition by attending the 10:30 Mass at St. Peters Roman Catholic Church, the North Side church attended by members of the Rooney family, owner of the Steelers.

Dressed in Steelers jerseys or black and gold, the family has attended services there on just about every Super Bowl the Steelers have played in.

"It can't hurt," Kathy Nelson said.

At the Hilltop Baptist Church in Banksville, youth pastor Ron Jaworski -- no relation to the former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback -- incorporated the Immaculate Reception and the Steel Curtain Defense into his sermon entitled "Homefield Advantage."

The 7:45 p.m. Mass at Sacred Heart Church in Shadyside was canceled last night. Even the most devout local Catholic wasn't expected to be in church past 6 p.m., a church secretary said.

I got married in that church! My husband's brother, an RPCNA pastor, officiated; we just borrowed the church b/c it was beautiful and our own church was 50 minutes away from my home (and of course, the bride's family has first say!).

About the "couldn't hurt," comment: YIKES

We are a silly race, idol factories that promote our gifts and creations as if they were supreme and of our own doing. No qualms with pro football, I like it, but the obsession some people have with it and any other sport is mind boggling idolatry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back