Fulfilled or Not Fulfilled

Status
Not open for further replies.

YXU

Puritan Board Freshman
Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD's hand double for all her sins. The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field: The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever. O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain; O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God! Behold, the Lord GOD will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him. He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. Isaiah 40:1-11

Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean. Shake thyself from the dust; arise, and sit down, O Jerusalem: loose thyself from the bands of thy neck, O captive daughter of Zion. Isaiah 52:1,2

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. Jeremiah 31:31-34

Are these scriptures fulfilled?

Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD's hand double for all her sins. The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field: The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever. O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain; O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God! Behold, the Lord GOD will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him. He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. Isaiah 40:1-11

Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean. Shake thyself from the dust; arise, and sit down, O Jerusalem: loose thyself from the bands of thy neck, O captive daughter of Zion. Isaiah 52:1,2

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. Jeremiah 31:31-34

Are these scriptures fulfilled?

These verses are fulfilled in The NC. with all those who are savingly united to The Lord Jesus Christ. The Servant of The Lord seeks and saves His sheep. No more, no less. A perfect once for all work in which the elect are savingly drawn to Christ.
All of the verses dealing with Particular Redemption come into play here.
An actual salvation for each individual placed into the Body of Christ.:book2:
for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.

Can you explain how they are fulfilled in the new testament? How mountains and hills are made low as we have not seen the kings of the earth be made low to Jesus Christ yet? And how the warfare of Jesusalem is over, as they have not turned to Christ yet, and how is it that everyone of Israel now or the Christian church all knows the Lord?

In my humble opinion, the eschatological fulfillment of these Scripture passages cannot be simply answered by either saying that it is fulfilled or that it is unfulfilled. I believe that this must be understood in terms of "the already and the not yet.":2cents:

I am no scholar so I will not attempt to explain the fulfillment of these passages in terms of the "already/not yet" scheme. Yet, there may be others here who share the same view that are more able to provide adequate explanation.

yxu,
The language used all through Isa. is often quoted in the NT. Look here in Isa 35
1The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose.

2It shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice even with joy and singing: the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon, they shall see the glory of the LORD, and the excellency of our God.

3Strengthen ye the weak hands, and confirm the feeble knees.

4Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you.

5Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.

6Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.

7And the parched ground shall become a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water: in the habitation of dragons, where each lay, shall be grass with reeds and rushes.

8And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.

9No lion shall be there, nor any ravenous beast shall go up thereon, it shall not be found there; but the redeemed shall walk there:

10And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.
the same type of language is used here verse 3,4,5, language used in Hebrews 12, Luke, and Matthew. Verse 8 the unclean shall not pass over it.verse 9 the redeemed shall walk there.
The other post speaks of the all ready and not yet, in Isa 11
we see this;
9They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

10And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.
Again Paul quotes this in Romans 15
8Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

9And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.

10And again he saith, Rejoice, ye Gentiles, with his people.

11And again, Praise the Lord, all ye Gentiles; and laud him, all ye people.

12And again, Esaias saith, There shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust.
as the gospel spreads this is being fulfilled.
In the original post, isa 52 Paul quotes part of it in Romans 10
13For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

16But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

reading Isa you see much of this language;
9For this is as the waters of Noah unto me: for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee.

10For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee.

11O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires.

12And I will make thy windows of agates, and thy gates of carbuncles, and all thy borders of pleasant stones.

13And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.
Again here in Isa 64;
Isaiah 64
1Oh that thou wouldest rend the heavens, that thou wouldest come down, that the mountains might flow down at thy presence,

2As when the melting fire burneth, the fire causeth the waters to boil, to make thy name known to thine adversaries, that the nations may tremble at thy presence!

3When thou didst terrible things which we looked not for, thou camest down, the mountains flowed down at thy presence.

4For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him.
this is all the result of the Servant of the Lord.
Steven Rees preached four excellant messages of the servant;

1 The LORD's Servant: His Reward
Stephen Rees • ARBCA GA 2003 • 78 min.
Association of RB Churches 100+ Play! | MP3

THU 03/06/2003
Special Meeting

2 The LORD's Servant: His Faith
Stephen Rees • ARBCA GA 2003 • 62 min.

WED 03/05/2003
Special Meeting

3 The LORD's Servant: His Story
Stephen Rees • ARBCA GA 2003 • 48 min.
Association of RB Churches Play! | MP3

WED 03/05/2003
Special Meeting

4 The LORD's Servant: His Mission
Stephen Rees • ARBCA GA 2003 • 63 min.

TUE 03/04/2003
Special Meeting

Add All on this page to My Favorites

For starters, we have Luke 24:44ff, which indicates that the entirety of the OT is about the death and resurrection of Jesus and the proclamation of the gospel (death, resurrection, church). Further, it is difficult to limit the scope of 2 Cor. 1:20.

So, whether or not I can give a detailed picture of the fulfillment of each and every promise, I have a clear indication that the simple answer to your OP is "yes".

But I believe Joel to be dead on. The Jews saw a two-era division to history: this age, characterized by the consequences of the fall; and the age to come: characterized by their removal and replacement with the blessings of the kingdom. In the fulfillment, Jesus brought an inauguration of "the age to come" with his death/resurrection/ascension, but he will not end "this age" until he returns in glory.

I think we need to understand, too, that the prophets often use symbolic language. I would beg to differ with my Dispensational friends and say that Jerusalem need not literally refer to a particular parcel of land in the middle east. For a full discussion, see Clark H. Brooking: Dispensationalism.

The kingdom comes in installments. Christ incarnate was one installment. The reign of Christ through his church is another. But the "not yet" refers to those things that await their consummate fulfillment at Christ's return. Nevertheless, we should not under-sell or under-appreciate the realness of the fulfillment and the realness of the power that we have already. It's not without reason that Heb 6: refers to us as having tasted the "powers of the coming age."

Hope this helps.

Anthony,

Thanks for your explanation. The two problems I am facing or thinking about the prophets are: 1) Even if we take this fulfillment in the church right now, we are far away from what is said in the prophecy, we are in the age of deformation and it is a spiritual desert but the prophets talk about prosperity and worldwide religious prosperity. 2) The objects of all these things are Israel, and they have not turned to Christ yet.

Last edited:
2) The object of all these things are Israel, and they have not turn to Christ yet.

So, does that mean that you disagree with the following statements by ChBrooking?

I think we need to understand, too, that the prophets often use symbolic language. I would beg to differ with my Dispensational friends and say that Jerusalem need not literally refer to a particular parcel of land in the middle east. For a full discussion, see Clark H. Brooking: Dispensationalism.

It's not my intention to cause conflict here but, and correct me if I'm wrong, it seems to me that your view concerning OT promises that has reference to Israel is more in line with Dispensationalism.

Yxu,
Gentiles are grafted into Israel now.One new man in Christ. Eph2 speaks of this ,as well as the Hosea quotes in the NT.
Jesus is the New Exodus and us In HIM. Jesus is the Covenant Son, The True Tabernacle, True Manna, our Passover.
26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
We gentiles were included in God's plan all along. We are now grafted into the Israel of God.
26But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

27For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.

28Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
This section in Gal.4 is in part a quote from Isa yet again,Isa 54
Isaiah 54
1Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the LORD.

2Enlarge the place of thy tent, and let them stretch forth the curtains of thine habitations: spare not, lengthen thy cords, and strengthen thy stakes;

3For thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left; and thy seed shall inherit the Gentiles, and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.

4Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more.

5For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

6For the LORD hath called thee as a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, and a wife of youth, when thou wast refused, saith thy God.
The Holy One of Israel is the God of the whole earth, gentiles are coming into the tent.
50Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.

51And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

52And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.

but like the growth of the mustard seed it is gradual.
8Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.
:book2:

Sorry for the delay in coming back to this discussion, I was busy with graduation last month. I have observed several difficulties to say all of these are fulfilled right now.

These prophecies use OT language such as sacrifice, temple, feast days showing the religous worship of God, dispensationalists take them literally which diminishes the finished work of Jesus Christ. I believe it is the only correct interpretation, that is to spiritulize them. These things find the start of fulfillment at the first coming of Jesus Christ and his finished works. However, these prophecies, their principles cannot been spiritulized, otherwise the boldness of such expression will be overlooked. Several things are mentioned by these prophecies:
1. Uniformity of religous worship, pure ordinances of God;
2. Uniformity of the church of God, the catholic church is very obvious and there is no denomination;
3. Magistrates come to the fear of Jesus and the protection of the church;
4. False doctrines (Arminianism, Dispensationalism and etc) and false teachers were gone;
5. Almost all the people on earth will worship Jesus;
6. Most importantly, Israel will come to Jesus.

Yes, we do see Israel in a sence of the universal church is expanding her reign over many nations, however, Israel in a sence of the Israel of old is dead right now, they are dead and dry bones, according to scripture these bones will be revived, and we have not seen such things yet.

Some of these prophecies are: Isaiah 34:16-35; 60:1-22; 61:4-11; 65:17-25; 66:15-21
Jeremiah 31:31-37; Ezekiel 40-48; Joel 3:17-21; Zechariah 8:1-8; 14:9-11,12-21.

And many of them follow an interesting pattern, before the peace and glorious prosperity there is a gathering of all nation to war against the people of God, whether they be Edom, Valley of Jehoshapet, Gog and Magog, the nations of the world, it seems to be describing the same event.

Not fully fulfilled.

The leaven passing through the three measures of meal and baking nice bread or cake is a process in history - sometimes uneven - from the first century onwards (Matthew 13:33)

Not fully fulfilled.

The leaven passing through the three measures of meal and baking nice bread or cake is a process in history - sometimes uneven - from the first century onwards (Matthew 13:33)

I agree. The fulfillment of these prophecies started at the Advent of Christ with his finished work of redemption. However, the fulfillment cannot be limited to the current state of the Church. Even, Calvin made it very clear the meaning of prophecies of the same kind, in his commentary of Isaiah 19 and Zecariah 14. He explained the meaning of the prophecies and their glorious fulfillment in the Church.

However, in other places, he denied that the Church will experience such glorious victory on this earth. Thus he limited the meaning of such scripture when applying them while in elsewhere, he did rightly explain the meaning of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back