Frequency of the Lord’s Supper and the Regulative Principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Crofter

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have been studying and contemplating the topic of how the “Regulative Principle” applies to the frequency of the Lord’s Supper for many years. I have also long been fascinated by the concept of “time” - the first thing our infinite God did was create this finite concept: “In the beginning.” My family and friends (Christian and not) all think I’m a bit strange in that I do not celebrate the same “times” they do (Christmas, Easter, Halloween and the like) but I do religiously celebrate each Lord’s Day, the changing of seasons, and New Year’s based on Genesis 1.14: “And God said, ‘Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven, to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years.…’” (and Thanksgiving here in the US because I do hold to the Westminster Directory of Publick Worship - see “Concerning the Observation of Days of Publick Thanksgiving”- so every year I print out and read that year’s Presidential proclamation of a “National Day of Thanksgiving” and I think it is growing on my extended family as they keep showing up to our table each November…). So I am therefore also somewhat fixated on the timing (frequency) of the Lord’s Supper. With apologies to my “Reformed Baptist” friends (which I considered myself to be many years ago), how can we get so fairly certain as to the Biblical meaning and mode of baptism and its links to the previous dispensation of the covenant of grace, but we can’t seem to do the same with the Lord’s Supper regarding the frequency (or the bread or the cup or what’s in the cup for that matter)? Is there any aspect of baptism that we would ever start talking about as a circumstance of worship the way people often talk about the frequency of the Lord’s Supper?

This could become a wide-ranging discussion so, with apologies, I am asking for responses within certain boundaries:

A. I do not believe an element of worship can be a circumstance of worship, so I am not interested in discussing whether or not the frequency of the Lord’s Supper is a circumstance of worship. Please start a separate thread if you want to take that up (but please first note the proof texts used in WCF 1.6.c).
B. I believe that the frequency of the Lord’s Supper is “either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture” - this is what I would like to hear from my brethren on PB.
C. I do hold to the Westminster Directory of Publick Worship, so while I do acknowledge that it states that how frequent the Lord’s Supper is to be observed “may be considered and determined by the ministers, and other church-governors of each congregation, as they shall find most convenient for the comfort and edification of the people committed to their charge,” that doesn’t mean a more definitive answer cannot be sought after. Also, I believe this statement from the Directory should be understood in its original context as both a compassionate allowance for less frequent administration in congregations filled with new believers and a compromise between the Scots and the English. It is worth noting that the kingdoms mutually agreed upon “the preservation” of the Church of Scotland in doctrine, worship, discipline, and government and “the reformation” of religion in the kingdoms of England and Ireland. Thus the frequency in the Scottish Kirk would have been seen as the standard when the Westminster Standards were debated and adopted so I prefer references from Scots to others.
D. I’m not looking for individual preferences or experiences - I have my own plethora of experiences with weekly, monthly, and seasonal observances, grape juice in shot glasses / wine in a common cup, and tearing pieces from a loaf of bread / breaking off pieces of matzah / picking up tiny bits of hardtack.
E. I am looking for testimony based on the Deuteronomic bar of “at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.” With further apologies to my “Reformed Baptist” friends as well as my Lutheran and Anglican friends, I give preferences to the Scottish and Dutch Reformed Churches as the best examples of doctrine, worship, discipline, and government. I am wary of proof texts from Biblical narratives (such as Judges or Acts) in favor of more didactic passages and/or theological reasoning based on multiple texts. And while I admire Calvin (my only son is named after him) and the early Reformers, the “Second Reformation” writers are, to me, more distilled and mature sources. But I am interested in anything from any source if it enlightens the conversation.
F. Yes, I fully believe the Lord’s Supper is a means of grace, but I reject as potentially neo-Romanist the (seemingly growing and modern?) idea that this is tied to frequency (i.e. the more frequently it is partaken of the more grace one can experience - else we should offer it every day and multiple times a day, or have a larger portion of the cup or bread. This seems to me to almost turn something spiritual into something fleshly (this is, no doubt, influenced by my fixation with time being finite and fleshly versus the infinite and timeless Spirit). I know this may be seen as an oversimplification of the position but it's not something I am looking to debate in this post.
This post is looking for specific Biblical and historical arguments in favor of the various options for the frequency of the Lord’s Supper. My hope is that people will copy and respond to any of the following 5 possibilities individually with any sources they know of that support (or argue against) any of them (they are listed in order in reference to ordained units of time with some brief thoughts):
  1. Daily: (Genesis 1.14, Acts 2) We are prone to overlook the Biblical importance of each day (for example, we often focus on the Lord’s Day in the fourth commandment but neglect the “Six days shalt thou labor” part of the command) but this was emphasized by the daily sacrifices in temple (see Numbers 28, end of Hebrews 7); Again, I am wary of narrative-based doctrines and note that much of the early apostolic Church’s practices seemed to change: for example, the early communal living in Acts 2 (see vv.44-45) seemed to quickly give way to “this we warned you of, that if there were any, which would not work, that he should not eat” (see 2 Thessalonians 3:10-12); Also, the “breaking bread” = the Lord’s Supper argument seems weak - in many instances it is clearly separate from worship (see Acts 2.46: “And they continued daily with one accord in the Temple, and breaking bread at home”)
  2. Weekly: (Genesis 1.14) There were weekly sacrifices (see Numbers 28, Ezekiel 46), unique to the Sabbath, the latter which binds “all men in all ages” (WCF 21.7);
    Acts 20.7: “And the first day of the week, the disciples being come together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow, and continued the preaching unto midnight.” - but, again, is this just referring to a common meal? (see v.11: “Then when Paul was come up again, and had broken bread, and eaten, having spoken a long while till the dawning of the day, he so departed.”)
  3. Monthly: I don’t see this as very plausible even though it is very common - our modern Western months are not a Biblical division of time creationally, and even though the Hebrew economy refers to lunar months which could be derived from Genesis 1.14, these are not mentioned in that account or ever presented as Divinely created and/or appointed (also, what do you then do with Psalm 104:19 “He appointed the moon for certain seasons”?); This seems to be disallowed by the WCF: our present 12-month division in the Western world is “according to the imaginations and devices of men” and not God’s revealed will (WCF 21.1)
  4. Seasonally: Why were seasons created? - not every part of the Earth has the same meteorological seasons or number of meteorological seasons, but they do all have the same astronomical reference points; Multiple times the Hebrews were reminded to keep “the solemn feasts, three times in the year, that is, in the feast of the Unleavened bread, and in the feast of the Weeks, and in the feast of the Tabernacles.” (2 Chronicles 8:13, see also Exodus 23 and Numbers 29) and these were linked to their deliverance from bondage in Egypt in a similar way that the Sabbath was, the Sabbath and seasons both being part of the created order (Genesis 1.14 - some see a fourth season observed by Christ in John 10:22); Why is Paul waiting for one of the three feasts in Acts 18.21 (“But bade them farewell, saying, ‘I must needs keep this feast that cometh, in Jerusalem’” - see also Acts 20.6-7)?
  5. Annually: (Genesis 1.14) There is, of course, a direct connection to the Day of Atonement/Passover during which Christ deliberately chose to institute His Supper; When Paul repeats what is required to be celebrated according to Christ’s institution he refers repeatedly to partaking of “this bread” and “this cup” (see I Corinthians 11.24, 25, 26, 27, and 28) - did he mean the once-a-year unleavened bread? (see also the aforementioned references to Paul still keeping the feasts in Acts 18.21 which appears to refer to Passover; also, if breaking bread in Acts 20.7-11 refers to him observing the Lord’s Supper, this occurred right “after the days of unleavened bread” according to v.6); Many of the Reformers appear to argue vehemently against an annual observance at first glance, but what they are really railing against is not that the Lord’s Supper was offered only once a year (it was offered every day or at least every week in most parishes) but that people were only required to participate once a year - see for example Calvin: “Plainly this custom which enjoins us to take communion once a year is a veritable invention of the devil."(Institutes IV, xvii, 44) and the Scots First book of Church Discipline (1560) "Your honours are not ignorant how superstitiously the people run to that action at Pasche, even as [if] the time gave virtue to the sacrament; and how the rest of the whole year they are careless and negligent" (The ninth head concerning the policie of the kirk).
So what are the Biblical and/or historical reasons (as opposed to personal/denominational preferences and experiences) for and/or against A-E?

Yes, I fully believe the Lord’s Supper is a means of grace, but I reject as potentially neo-Romanist the (seemingly growing and modern?) idea that this is tied to frequency (i.e. the more frequently it is partaken of the more grace one can experience

Historically, Romanists have been anti-frequent. The 4th Lateran Council actually had to address the widespread problem of infrequent communion.

I don't have all the resources to work through your schemata, but I do remember in one of his letters Basil the Great said his monks did communion every day. Not saying I agree, just historically interesting.

Jacob is right. You are mistaken about this.
I would be curious to know how. If the 4th Lateran Council actually had to address the widespread problem of infrequent communion, wouldn't that support what I suggested (that the laity may have been practically infrequent, but not the clergy theologically hence their meeting to implore a more frequent observance?). I don't see this as much different than at the time of the Reformation (see my quote at the end of #5 in OP). But, again, this is a side argument I am trying to avoid in this post - do you have any thoughts/resources to support any of the 5 "frequencies"?

It seems if there was a biblical mandate as to how often the Lord's Supper is specifically to be observed, that frequency would be clearly stated for the instruction and benefit of the church. Instead, "as often as you do" (1 Cor. 11:26) is all that is stated in terms of frequency in the direct instructions for the supper. This wording supports leaving it up to individual sessions and church leaders to determine the best frequency for a given church, perhaps even for a given time, and for the laity to joyfully submit to their decision. Understandably, I think, that seems to be what Protestants have historically done.

So where would you land, Andrew?
I hesitate to answer and possibly influence responses (or invite a focused attack - I can take it but I was hoping for this to be an enriching discussion). I can see Biblical and theological merit in all of the approaches, and I also know what in my own experience was the most spiritually rewarding. If my congregation decided upon a regular interval that was not the same as what I found to be the most spiritually rewarding, but the decision was based on sound Biblical and theological grounds, I would not have a problem with it. But when I run into areas such as this, I tend to defer to and support the practices of the Churches I objectively regard as most faithful in the past (WCF 25.4 - this is why I conclude my public bio with Proverbs 22.28). For me that is the Scottish and Dutch Reformed national Churches. Their practice also happens to be what I found subjectively to be the most spiritually rewarding. To me that sufficiently meets the Deuteronomic bar of establishing a matter “at the mouth of two or three witnesses" and allows me to proceed with a clear conscience in advocating for that interval.

It seems if there was a biblical mandate as to how often the Lord's Supper is specifically to be observed, that frequency would be clearly stated for the instruction and benefit of the church. Instead, "as often as you do" (1 Cor. 11:26) is all that is stated in terms of frequency in the direct instructions for the supper. This wording supports leaving it up to individual sessions and church leaders to determine the best frequency for a given church, perhaps even for a given time, and for the laity to joyfully submit to their decision. Understandably, I think, that seems to be what Protestants have historically done.
Some Reformed traditions do historically support certain intervals as Biblical. As for a Biblical mandate, where there is none "expressly set down in Scripture" (i.e. "clearly stated") it should by good and necessary consequence be deduced from Scripture (WCF 1.6). I am not opposing "leaving it up to individual sessions and church leaders to determine the best frequency for a given church, perhaps even for a given time," but even they must have had some BiblicaI, theological, or historical justification for arriving at the interval they chose. I would just like to hear these reasons (which I would have to believe would fall under one of the 5 I've posted). Or have many or all missed the mandate (perhaps by not taking in the whole counsel of God - thus my many references to the previous dispensation of grace) and are in need of further reformation in this area?

Instead, "as often as you do" (1 Cor. 11:26) is all that is stated in terms of frequency in the direct instructions for the supper.
Unless the references to "this bread" and "this cup" in I Corinthians 11.24, 25, 26, 27, and 28 are referring to an annual observance - see #5 in OP.

It seems if there was a biblical mandate as to how often the Lord's Supper is specifically to be observed, that frequency would be clearly stated for the instruction and benefit of the church.
Most would say this about the meaning and mode of baptism, too. Many would say we have to look to the testimony of the previous dispensation of the covenant of grace for the instruction and benefit of the Church.

Just hearing the Biblical and/or historical reasons for how often you or your congregation observe the Lord's Supper would be a great start/help.

The Bible doesn't actually mandate how often one should do it. That provides Christian liberty for congregations. My church does it monthly. I like weekly but I don't think it is required. Quarterly makes it a rather infrequent means of grace. Revivalist seasons cut against the idea of means of grace.

Some might chalk my views up to a "simplistic" Baptist mindset, and that's fine, but I do think that a newly commissioned ordinance under the New Covenant like the Lord's Supper would specify frequency if that were a crucial aspect of it. It seems to me the alternative approach often leads to unnecessary speculation (ala the OP's five proposed possible answers, none which have an obvious advantage) and unmeliorated angst. Rather than enhancing the Supper's observance, I think it's possible for these kinds of perceived "problems" to actually diminish it. It's not that we can't be helpfully informed by the kinds of questions being asked, but it's also possible to create a tempest in a teapot leading to undue division. Historically, I'm not aware of any notable Reformed authorities that have come to an absolute conclusion to the stated or obvious exclusion of all others. I think that is important to consider. But again, I imagine many here will disagree, and rather than risk thread derailment, I'll bow out of the discussion. Pax.

Last edited:
Hello Andrew – I have no focused attack, I thought your personal choice might be edifying. I always appreciate edification in matters such as this. I'm unaware of the practice of the Scottish and Dutch Reformed national Churches.

Hello Andrew – I have no focused attack, I thought your personal choice might be edifying.
I did not mean to imply I feared such from you - I have always appreciated the tenor of your posts. I wrote a paper years ago as part of a synodical appeal to maintain the current practice within the Reformed branch I was in. It summarized much of the Scottish and Dutch Churches practices regarding the frequency of observing the Lord's Supper. I will post it at some point for your edification.

I do think that a newly commissioned ordinance under the New Covenant like the Lord's Supper would specify frequency if that were a crucial aspect of it.
Again, you could say the same for the meaning and mode of baptism. I'm not sure about the phrase "newly commissioned ordinance" - I see much continuation/fulfillment/expansion. It is still the same covenant of grace.

The Bible doesn't actually mandate how often one should do it. That provides Christian liberty for congregations. My church does it monthly. I like weekly but I don't think it is required. Quarterly makes it a rather infrequent means of grace. Revivalist seasons cut against the idea of means of grace.
As I previously posted (#11), where there is no mandate regarding frequency "expressly set down in Scripture" it should by good and necessary consequence be deduced from Scripture (WCF 1.6). Your congregation does it monthly, you like it weekly - but you have not provided Biblical and/or historical reasons (see the last line of the OP) for the practice or preference of you or your congregation. (Nowhere were quarters or "Revivalist seasons" mentioned in the OP so I am not sure what you are referring to).

Last edited:
Personally, it seems to be that those who prefer weekly/monthly communion typically fly to the language of the Westminster Directory: "The communion, or supper of the Lord, is frequently to be celebrated; but how often, may be considered and determined by the ministers, and other church-governors of each congregation" ... "Where this sacrament cannot with convenience be frequently administered, it is requisite that publick warning be given the sabbath-day before the administration thereof: and that either then, or on some day of that week, something concerning that ordinance, and the due preparation thereunto, and participation thereof, be taught;" &c.

The person typically deems the language that it 'ought be ministered frequently' as sufficient warrant to imply something along the lines of weekly or monthly – but we ought not read the Westminster in a vacuum. We should bear in mind that the Westminster Standards were intended to bring the Church of England into greater conformity with the Church of Scotland; it is not as much an English document, but rather Scottish in roots. I say this because I think the history of the language of frequency in Scottish history then becomes relevant. Consider Knox's First Book of Discipline, which was a foundational document in the Scottish Reformation:

"Four times in the year we think sufficient to the administration of the Lord’s Table, which we desire to be distinct, that the superstition of times may be avoided so far as may be. Your honours are not ignorant how superstitiously the people run to that action at Pasche, even as [if] the time gave virtue to the sacrament; and how the rest of the whole year they are careless and negligent, as that it appertains not unto them but at that time only. We think therefore most expedient, that the first Sunday of March be appointed for one [time]; the first Sunday of June for another; the first Sunday of September for the third; and the first Sunday of December for the fourth. We do not deny but that any several church, for reasonable causes, may change the time, and may minister ofter; but we study to suppress superstition. All ministers must be admonished to be more careful to instruct the ignorant than ready to satisfy their appetites; and more sharp in examination than indulgent, in admitting to that great mystery such as are ignorant of the use and virtue of the same. And therefore we think that the administration of the Table ought never to be without that examination pass before, especially of those whose knowledge is suspect. We think that none are apt to be admitted to that mystery who cannot formally say the Lord’s Prayer, the articles of the belief, and declare the sum of the law."

and again, in the Westminster Assembly Minutes June 5, 1644: The Assembly "desired that they might be tied, at least, to four times a year, since the Apostle and Christ speak of often celebration." – Gillespie objected, "There is no ground from Scripture or otherwise to determine four times a year, for this should resolve in the arbitrement of men. If congregations abuse this liberty, the presbytery at visitation of churches can help it." – The only noted objection for a more frequent observance (weekly) came from the Independent Matthew Newcomen. And I think this historical context is sufficient for me, as Travis Fentiman notes: "The minutes show the majority of the presbyterian assembly thought that quarterly communion fulfilled the obligation of ‘frequently’."

That being purely a historical argument, and not an exegetical one, I've personally found Pastor McCurley's 10 part series on the Lord's Supper to be very helpful. The doctrine of communion seasons formerly was not something as strong as "reservation" but something I didn't quite fully understand – as much as I try to be aware of my personal biases and blind spots, I've found the series to win me over, it being a mixture of exegetical and historical evidence.

Something the series really opened my eyes to was the historical rebuke of Rome, because Rome would distribute the sacrament, but the people would not be fed at all by means of exhortation and doctrine, many parishioners (If I recall correctly) being unable to understand any of the liturgy, not being well-versed in Latin. This lead to the Reformed decry of the practice "No Sacrament without the Word" – this term, however, has been exchanged to mean (especially in "Word and Sacrament" churches) "No Word without the Sacrament" – that the preaching of the word ought to always culminate in the observance of the Sacrament, and thus you have weekly observance, because they view the worship service incomplete, as it were, without the Sacrament. Think of covenant renewal worship models, and the CREC.

Edit 1 hour later: There is also another great article comprised from William Attersoll, a Puritan in the time of the Westminster Assembly, showing that the Sacraments are dependent upon the Word, but the Word is not dependent upon the Sacraments.

Last edited:
Let's start with what most people would agree on:
1) the OT equivalent of the Lord's Supper, Passover, was an annual event that everyone celebrated at the same time
2) the NT eucharist was celebrated frequently (there would probably be some disagreement about exactly how frequently - daily, weekly, monthly, but certainly not annually - Acts 2:42, etc.).
3) The Westminster Directory of Public Worship does not specify a precise frequency beyond "frequently", leaving it to local congregations to determine what that means. This fits with their confidence in the ability of local pastors to make wise calls - that's why they didn't provide a much more regulative "Book of Common Prayer" - as the Church of England did.

If you are going to argue in favor of annual communion, on the basis of the Passover, shouldn't you argue for all churches to celebrate it on the same date? Or at least discourage people from going from one parish to another to receive the Lord's Supper more frequently? And if it is good for individuals to receive the Lord's Supper more frequently, why isn't it good for churches to do so, especially if they don't have many neighboring like-minded churches? Can you really think that the Westminster Directory would have classed annual communion as frequent? At the very least they seem to have seen more frequent communion as desirable, even if not always practicable in their context.

In Reformed theology it is customary to link the Word and the Sacraments together. Ministers are "Ministers of the Word and the Sacrament" not merely "Ministers of the Word". We should not have sacraments without the accompanying preaching of the Word. That suggests that the question of "How often should we receive the Lord's Supper?" is at least comparable to the question "How often should we hear preaching?" (again, think Acts 2:42). Some churches have preaching once a week, some several times a week. I know of no (evangelical) churches that have preaching only once a month, let alone once a year! But equally, there are no churches (even liturgical ones like the Church of England) that insist on the eucharist at every service.

Where does that leave us? You'll notice there is very little Scriptural argumentation here; it is clear that the Westminster divines were comfortable leaving different churches to make different choices, based on their particular needs (while still advocating "frequent"). I suspect that there is a lot of wisdom there.

My congregation celebrates quarterly communion, or seasonal, as the OP would define. Our reasoning for this is rooted in a couple of different thoughts, including primarily that the efficacy of the sacrament is not tied to the frequency. For example, no one would argue that somehow our baptism is less efficacious because it was only administered once. With that said, we are called to celebrate the LS more than just once, but we are not "more blessed" by celebrating it more often.
Second, I believe too many in reformed circles neglect the preparation aspect of the LS as WLC 171 references:
Westminster Larger Catechism
Q. 171: How are they that receive the sacrament of the Lord's supper to prepare themselves before they come unto it?
A: They that receive the sacrament of the Lord's supper are, before they come, to prepare themselves thereunto, by examining themselves of their being in Christ, of their sins and wants; of the truth and measure of their knowledge, faith, repentance; love to God and the brethren, charity to all men, forgiving those that have done them wrong; of their desires after Christ, and of their new obedience; and by renewing the exercise of these graces, by serious meditation, and fervent prayer.

At Dallas RPC, we have found our communion seasons to be a particularly sweet time of worship and fellowship. Our people truly anticipate with great delight each of our communion seasons now. As a confessionally reformed congregation, we eschew man made holy days so in a way, we look forward to our communion seasons similarly to how non-reformed congregations might look forward to XMass or Easter. We have preparatory sermons the week before and then sermons after to meditate and reflect on Christ in the sacrament we've received.

Here are some excellent supports for communion seasons:
Sermon on the subject of the frequency of the Lord's Supper preached by my Pastor, Rom Prakashpalan aka Kodos :) I recommend all the sermons in the Lord's Supper topic, and all of the sermons in the entire Gospel worship series, but this one specifically deals with the topic of frequency.

Also this paper by a friend, Pastor Adam Kuehner is very good. Calvin, Weekly Communion, and the Scottish Reformed Tradition

As I previously posted (#11), where there is no mandate regarding frequency "expressly set down in Scripture" it should by good and necessary consequence be deduced from Scripture (WCF 1.6). Your congregation does it monthly, you like it weekly - but you have not provided Biblical and/or historical reasons (see the last line of the OP) for the practice or preference of you or your congregation. (Nowhere were quarters or "Revivalist seasons" mentioned in the OP so I am not sure what you are referring to).

The main reason I didn't provide biblical reasons is because I am not going beyond Scripture. I'm not sure how "historical" reasons really adds much to the discussion.

If we wanted to deduce things logically, I suppose from the verse "as often as you do this..."

Deduction: often means often (which is more or less what the Direcktory says).

Last edited:
Can you really think that the Westminster Directory would have classed annual communion as frequent?
I purposefully did not state what I think in the OP. But consider what "often" and "frequent" meant in the original/historical context it was originally used (Jerrod in #20 has some excellent insight regarding the latter) - for example, in the LC it is simply the opposite of or contrasted with the onceness of baptism:

"Q177: Wherein do the sacraments of baptism and the Lord’s supper differ?
A177: The sacraments of baptism and the Lord’s supper differ, in that baptism is to be administered but once, with water, to be a sign and seal of our regeneration and ingrafting into Christ, and that even to infants; whereas the Lord’s supper is to be administered often..."

Thus, a once-a-year observance could be considered frequent.

it is clear that the Westminster divines were comfortable leaving different churches to make different choices, based on their particular needs (while still advocating "frequent")
I would refer you to Jerrod's post above - what is clear from the SL&C from which the Westminster Standards flowed is that the Assembly agreed that the Scots' practices should be followed: "That we shall sincerely, really, and constantly, through the grace of GOD, endeavor, in our several places and callings, the preservation of the reformed religion in the Church of Scotland, in doctrine, worship, discipline, and government, against our common enemies; the reformation of religion in the kingdoms of England and Ireland, in doctrine, worship, discipline, and government, according to the Word of GOD, and the example of the best reformed Churches; and shall endeavour to bring the Churches of GOD in the three kingdoms to the nearest conjunction and uniformity in religion, Confession of Faith, Form of Church Government, Directory for Worship and Catechising; that we, and our posterity after us, may, as brethren, live in faith and love, and the Lord may delight to dwell in the midst of us. (SL&C 1.). I do not believe the Assembly was "comfortable leaving different churches to make different choices" - their stated intention was quite the opposite (consider also the disproportionate sway the relatively few Scots commissioners had).

My congregation celebrates quarterly communion, or seasonal, as the OP would define. Our reasoning for this is rooted in a couple of different thoughts, including primarily that the efficacy of the sacrament is not tied to the frequency. For example, no one would argue that somehow our baptism is less efficacious because it was only administered once. With that said, we are called to celebrate the LS more than just once, but we are not "more blessed" by celebrating it more often.
Second, I believe too many in reformed circles neglect the preparation aspect of the LS as WLC 171 references:
Westminster Larger Catechism
Q. 171: How are they that receive the sacrament of the Lord's supper to prepare themselves before they come unto it?
A: They that receive the sacrament of the Lord's supper are, before they come, to prepare themselves thereunto, by examining themselves of their being in Christ, of their sins and wants; of the truth and measure of their knowledge, faith, repentance; love to God and the brethren, charity to all men, forgiving those that have done them wrong; of their desires after Christ, and of their new obedience; and by renewing the exercise of these graces, by serious meditation, and fervent prayer.

At Dallas RPC, we have found our communion seasons to be a particularly sweet time of worship and fellowship. Our people truly anticipate with great delight each of our communion seasons now. As a confessionally reformed congregation, we eschew man made holy days so in a way, we look forward to our communion seasons similarly to how non-reformed congregations might look forward to XMass or Easter. We have preparatory sermons the week before and then sermons after to meditate and reflect on Christ in the sacrament we've received.

Here are some excellent supports for communion seasons:
Sermon on the subject of the frequency of the Lord's Supper preached by my Pastor, Rom Prakashpalan aka Kodos :) I recommend all the sermons in the Lord's Supper topic, and all of the sermons in the entire Gospel worship series, but this one specifically deals with the topic of frequency.

Also this paper by a friend, Pastor Adam Kuehner is very good. Calvin, Weekly Communion, and the Scottish Reformed Tradition
Since brother Rafalsky asked me directly above, this type of observance was largely my most spiritually rewarding experience partaking of the Lord's Supper. I highly commend it. I have never since matched it. I wish my children could experience it.

Attached is the paper I submitted years ago as part of an appeal to maintain the current practice within the Reformed branch I was in. It summarized much of the Scottish and Dutch Churches practices regarding the frequency of observing the Lord's Supper. It does not provide much of the historical theology supporting the practices as that was not the intent and already known within the denomination.

Attachments

• Lord'sSupperFrequencyESSAYnew.pdf
    253.7 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back