Frailing or Scruggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
I've been working on frailing/clawhammer banjo (don't want to argue about the difference) but find myself getting stuck on a few things, it's hard to learn from a book. Anyways, I found a teacher who does Scruggs style picking but I'm not too fond of it.

How different are the too styles in terms of fretting, hammer on's and pull off's, etc?

Which way do you play and why?

I play clawhammer because I like Old-Tyme music better than bluegrass, although if I had the time and money I would take lessons. It would expand your playing style and give you the opprotunity to play with more people. As far as your left hand it'd be the same, perhaps more slides and there's the whole "Scruggs tuner" thing. My right hand seems to have a little trouble with the three finger style, although when you really get going it sounds pretty sweet!
You may ask this banjo teacher and he might could help get you unstuck on your frailing too.

A couple of days ago I nailed slides, hammer on's and pull off's! I'm still going to talk to a music teacher to get things cleaned up but me and Lula Belle are sittin' pretty right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back