Forum for Deacons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
DEACONS, DEACONS, DEACONS:

Do we really only have about a dozen deacons in the entire Puritanboard? I ask because part of your user profile is the ability to note your Church Position.

If you are a deacon then please note it in your profile. Also, let me know if you are a deacon and are unable to access the forum I've created.

PB created a Deacon forum back in 2007 as a protected forum for deacons to discuss issues that require more restriction than just a plain members only forum. If you are a deacon and don't already have access, contact a moderator to ask to be given access.

PB created a Deacon forum back in 2007 as a protected forum for deacons to discuss issues that require more restriction than just a plain members only forum. If you are a deacon and don't already have access, contact a moderator to ask to be given access.
When I’m ordained I certainly will.

Finally:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:. Now we can finally find the TR view of how to properly unclog a toilet and paint parking lots :D

Finally:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:. Now we can finally find the TR view of how to properly unclog a toilet and paint parking lots :D
You mean I am predestined to unclog the toilet. I was going to use my free will to do something else for the church. :rofl:

The forum for Deacons has never been particularly active, and has been pretty much dead for the last several years. As I recall, some of the Deacons were elected elder, some have become inactive on the board itself....

Seven threads since the end of 2010; the last substantive thread was in 2016.

Now we can finally find the TR view of how to properly unclog a toilet and paint parking lots

This, I think, at least hints at some of the issues. The role of the deacon varies not just between Baptist and Presbyterian, but even between the different denominational strands of Presbyterianism. There is, perhaps, a smaller ground of common issues for deacons than there is for elders.

The forum for Deacons has never been particularly active, and has been pretty much dead for the last several years. As I recall, some of the Deacons were elected elder, some have become inactive on the board itself....

Seven threads since the end of 2010; the last substantive thread was in 2016.

This, I think, at least hints at some of the issues. The role of the deacon varies not just between Baptist and Presbyterian, but even between the different denominational strands of Presbyterianism. There is, perhaps, a smaller ground of common issues for deacons than there is for elders.
When I was ordained a Deacon in my OPC congregation I asked for, and received permissions to view, and post, in the Deacon only forum. As Edward noted, it is basically inactive. Another consideration, on my part, is the confidentiality I feel members of my congregation expect in my keeping their concerns private. I do sometimes seek advice from Session, but I'd feel amiss in sharing certain 'problems' on an Internet board due to the privacy issue.

I think it is properly noted in my profile. I was unaware that there was a deacon forum. I've said before that this forum is very fragmented. The only page I actually use is "recent posts." I only worry about the categories when I am creating a new post, and then it just seems like picking the correct category is an obstacle to posting.

And between congregations in the same denomination.

I'm no longer a deacon so I shouldn't be able to access.

Join the PCA - ordained for life unless deposed, ordained an elder, or you resign.

It appears that the RPCNA also has similar differences between ordination and being active.

5. Cessation of Service on a Board of Deacons
A deacon’s service may cease under the following circumstances:
a. A deacon may request the session to accept his resignation from the
board of deacons.
b. A deacon whose resignation has been accepted must be re-elected in
order to serve again in that office.
c. A deacon is no longer able to serve regularly on the board of deacons
to which he was installed for reasons of distance, health, or other justifi-
able reasons; his session shall move with care to relieve him of the official
exercise of his office and declare his status to be inactive (i.e. non-voting).
In cases of suspension, see Book of Discipline.
d. A deacon or his session may arrange for a sabbatical leave of normally
up to one year, during which time he shall be on inactive status.
e. A congregation may arrange for rotation of deacons, subject to the
approval of session and presbytery.
f. A deacon granted an inactive status may be reinstated to active service
at the discretion of the session.
g. A deacon ceases to serve on the board of deacons when he has moved
his communicant membership to another congregation.
h. A congregation may petition a session to depose a particular deacon,
but the session holds original jurisdiction regarding deposition of a deacon
from his ordination.
6. Removal from Office
A deacon may be removed from office. The following principles shall apply
to this procedure:
a. A deacon can be divested of his ordination only by deposition at the
hands of his session or presbytery.
b. The session shall notify the presbytery whenever it intends to initiate
deposition procedures by forwarding a copy of the charges.
c. In extraordinary cases the session may appeal to presbytery to assume
jurisdiction in adjudicating a proposed deposition.
d. In extraordinary cases the presbytery may also originate jurisdiction if
it concludes that a particular session has been unable to exercise proper
discipline over the deacon in question.
e. No deacon shall be suspended or deposed except after a fair trial.
f. Procedure for judicial process is set forth in the Book of Discipline.
7. Cessation of Ordination
The continuing privileges and responsibilities of ordination would cease if:
a. A deacon is deposed from his ordination by judicial action of a church
court.
b. A deacon’s request that his ordination be terminated is granted by a
church court after careful consideration.

I don't mind still having access, certainly don't mind having a chance to learn from deacons about works of mercy; though I was ordained in a Reformed Baptist church, and in my current congregation I am not considered a deacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back