Forgiving Others by Octavius Winslow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeard

Puritan Board Freshman
Oh what pain, what deep, lasting injury, may be inflicted by an unkind word, an unkind look, an unkind action; by a wrong judgment, a misinterpretation, an unjust suspicion, a malicious and false report; by violated confidence, by evil-speaking, idle gossip, and harsh insinuation--how much may spring out of all this affecting the peace, reputation, and usefulness of a child of God!

What a field for the exercise of forgiveness, that Christian act of which it has been remarked, "It requires more grace to forgive an injury than it does to suffer martyrdom." A man requires less grace to endure the hardest toil, to carry the heaviest cross, and to submit to the severest suffering, than to hold out his hand to an offending brother and say, "I freely and fully forgive." The greatest display of grace in God is in the pardon of sin; the greatest exercise of grace in man is to forgive and forget an injury. But this grace Jesus can and is engaged to give.

https://www.gracegems.org/Winslows/lp08.htm

It requires more grace to forgive an injury than it does to suffer martyrdom.

In my own ministry, I have had the sad experience of seeing the truth of this statement clearly exhibited. Many with a high profession of obedience to gospel cannot be brought to forgive the trifling offenses of others. The very thought of it brings faces and names to mind that afflict me with grief. God have mercy.

Last edited:
In my own ministry, I have had the sad experience of seeing the truth of this statement clearly exhibited. Many with a high profession of obedience to gospel cannot be brought to forgive the trifling offenses of others. The very thought of it brings faces and names to mind that afflict me with grief. God have mercy.
Sorry to hear.... I really think this plagues many churches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back