For those who work in the field of insurance or know somebody who does...

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvroftheWord

Puritan Board Sophomore
...I have a question. Since I've been taking time off from seminary, I have been working at an insurance place, and I have taken an interest in the field of insurance. In fact, I am planning on taking courses on insurance and trying to earn some certifications. I think it will be a good opportunity to earn some more skills for the working world and I figure it will serve well as my "tent-making" skill. But I am interested in hearing the thoughts of those who may be working in insurance or might know a fellow Christian that does. I know that people hate insurance companies because nobody likes paying all their premiums. But in reality, insurance is a good industry because it's something everybody has to have. So I think it would be worth my while to pursue this endeavor.

So what do y'all think? What is it like being a Christian in the insurance world?

Sounds good. What was your major in college? I am a history major and am forced tot he wall to trust God to provide for me financially.

'Sup, Craig!
I used to work in the insurance industry, right there in Orlando. Until just last year, I sold Life and Health Insurance. That's something you could always do and it can leave you with enough time to pursue other interests, like studying and pastoring.

The only thing wrong with selling health insurance (at least in FL) is that the products you're able to offer individuals is not nearly as good as what they're used to getting at their workplaces. Because of that, MANY ins. agents stretch the truth (lie) when it comes to selling their products, and as you remain honest, you kill many of your sales possiblities.

If you want more info on that, I'd be happy to help you. However, the best place to be in the ins. world would be to work as an adjuster. There is big money there oftentimes, and there is no selling involved. The con to that is: it takes experience to be able to work in that industry and so its very difficult to break in.
In selling Life/Health ins., you can take a 40 hour course, get licensed, and then start selling and making money immediately. The world of independent Health ins. agents is filled with sleazeballs, so beware! :scholar:

Yeah, I was a religion major in college. Basically, if I can't get a job teaching one day, I'm screwed. I think the insurance thing would be a good back up strategy to keep my family from starving.

Good to talk to you again, Chris. I wasn't thinking so much of selling insurance, but more of something along the lines of an adjuster, or even an agent or underwriter. It's a process to get to those kinds of positions, but right now at this point in my life I have time to go for it. So when are you coming back to Florida?

You'd be smart to go into adjusting, or something similar. I tried several times to break in to that line of work and found it very difficult to do so. From what I've found, you need to start off in the Claims aspect of insurance, as a trainee, and then find ways to move into the Adjusting aspect. Oftentimes large companies like Progressive or AIG will have trainee positions listed; that seems like a good way to go.

(By the way, I hope to be back in O'Town around March. I can't wait to get back to St. Pauls! I've NEVER been as blessed with great worship as I had been there. In fact, that's my MAIN reason for moving back!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back