For those who reject x-mass as a holy day, do you put up a seasonal/decorative tree in your home?

For those who reject x-mass as a holy day, do you put up a seasonal/decorative tree in your home?

• Tree

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • No Tree

Votes: 29 48.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
“For those who reject Xmas as a holy day”.. anyone here celebrating Christmas in the privacy of their own home obviously rejects it as a holy day. It’s not the Lord’s Day (and if it falls on the Lord’s Day like this year we must not change our Sabbath routines).

Many here also celebrate birthdays and Thanksgiving, those aren’t holy days either. You seem to be arguing that it’s not a matter of private liberty, which is challenging if you endeavor to be consistent with virtually any other “holiday”.
For those of us who subscribe to the The Directory for the Publick Worship of God, this is consistent.

First, the Directory positively endorses observing public and private celebrations of Thanksgiving (see the section titled "Of the Observation of Days of Publick Thanksgiving" - the private celebration is mentioned in this paragraph: "But the minister (before their dismission) is solemnly to admonish them to beware of all excess and riot, tending to gluttony or drunkenness, and much more of these sins themselves, in their eating and refreshing; and to take care that their mirth and rejoicing be not carnal, but spiritual, which may make God’s praise to be glorious, and themselves humble and sober; and that both their feeding and rejoicing may render them more cheerful and enlarged, further to celebrate his praises in the midst of the congregation, when they return unto it in the remaining part of that day.").

Second, it is difficult to see how one would conflate celebrating birthdays as "Festival days" or (so-called) "Holy-day" as prohibited by the DPW: "Festival days, vulgarly called Holy-days, having no warrant in the word of God, are not to be continued" ("Touching Days and Places for Publick Worship."). Thus both Christian liberty and prudence should govern the celebration of birthdays. There are limited examples of birthday celebrations in Scripture to choose from - only 2 I can think off: Genesis 40 (positive celebration?) and Matthew 14 (negative).

"THERE is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel but the Lord’s day, which is the Christian Sabbath" (DPW Appendix). Let us rejoice and be glad!

For those of us who subscribe to the The Directory for the Publick Worship of God, this is consistent.

First, the Directory positively endorses observing public and private celebrations of Thanksgiving (see the section titled "Of the Observation of Days of Publick Thanksgiving" - the private celebration is mentioned in this paragraph: "But the minister (before their dismission) is solemnly to admonish them to beware of all excess and riot, tending to gluttony or drunkenness, and much more of these sins themselves, in their eating and refreshing; and to take care that their mirth and rejoicing be not carnal, but spiritual, which may make God’s praise to be glorious, and themselves humble and sober; and that both their feeding and rejoicing may render them more cheerful and enlarged, further to celebrate his praises in the midst of the congregation, when they return unto it in the remaining part of that day.").

Second, it is difficult to see how one would conflate celebrating birthdays as "Festival days" or (so-called) "Holy-day" as prohibited by the DPW: "Festival days, vulgarly called Holy-days, having no warrant in the word of God, are not to be continued" ("Touching Days and Places for Publick Worship."). Thus both Christian liberty and prudence should govern the celebration of birthdays. There are limited examples of birthday celebrations in Scripture to choose from - only 2 I can think off: Genesis 40 (positive celebration?) and Matthew 14 (negative).

"THERE is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel but the Lord’s day, which is the Christian Sabbath" (DPW Appendix). Let us rejoice and be glad!
Lots of mental theological gymnastics you have going on here, while simultaneously ignoring the position of myself and others that we in no way hold the day itself to be holy. If you have to cite another source to even explain what you hold to, you may want to reconsider how logical it truly is.

Just something to consider. I’d also caution against possibly binding the conscience of others in regard to what they do in their own homes.

Lots of mental theological gymnastics you have going on here, while simultaneously ignoring the position of myself and others that we in no way hold the day itself to be holy. If you have to cite another source to even explain what you hold to, you may want to reconsider how logical it truly is.

Just something to consider. I’d also caution against possibly binding the conscience of others in regard to what they do in their own homes.
The issue is considering it as a religious day above others whereby you approach the Lord in “special” ways not commanded. You are no more allowed to worship by idols and icons (2nd commandment) privately than you are in public.

The issue is considering it as a religious day above others whereby you approach the Lord in “special” ways not commanded. You are no more allowed to worship by idols and icons (2nd commandment) privately than you are in public.
Agreed, though no one who holds to a reformed confession would do that so in this group (I would hope) that aspect is not applicable. Both myself and others have explicitly said we do not hold it as holy.

Agreed, though no one who holds to a reformed confession would do that so in this group (I would hope) that aspect is not applicable. Both myself and others have explicitly said we do not hold it as holy.
I think many do practically. Many churches recognize at least two, if not five “evangelical” feast days (Dort, Helvetica) while explicitly teaching their congregations that they are not holy, but helpful. But I can guarantee if those same churches stopped recognizing them, there would be an uprising, proving that despite what they were taught, the people do indeed take them as holy. I think the same thing happens in our homes. I’m trying to navigate this with my family right now. I think some aspects of this “season” are obviously violations of the 1st commandment (Santa), some of the 2nd (“Jesus is the reason for the season”), but some things are indifferent. But there are also those who would find what I call indifferent monuments to idolatry for having any semblance of what the culture does.

We understand this is your stated position. Yet, I think what others are getting at is that cherishing traditions and decorations which are overtly tied to this superstitious holy-day is like lighting a candle of fondness in the heart that seems at odds with the following verses.

Jude 23, "...hating even the garment spotted by the flesh."
Jeremiah 10:2, "...learn not the way of the heathen."
1 John 2:21, "...no lie is of the truth."

Lynnie,
There doesn't seem to be any evidence from Babylonian sources of a sun god named Nimrod, at least during the period for which we have data. Their sun god was Shamash. A quick search of the internet suggests that you may have been fed an apocryphal story that likely lacks any solid foundation. By all means, don't have a tree, but don't blame Nimrod.
Lol. I appreciate the correction.

The History Channel ( I have no idea how accurate they are) says this about Rome: In addition, members of the upper classes often celebrated the birthday of Mithra, the god of the unconquerable sun, on December 25. It was believed that Mithra, an infant god, was born of a rock. For some Romans, Mithra’s birthday was the most sacred day of the year. https://www.history.com/topics/christmas/history-of-christmas

I'm going back maybe 45 years here, but it was all over that we had to flee Babylon which included all the Christmas and Easter trappings. I wish I could remember who was teaching this so strongly. A lot of hubs friends were WTS grads and I'm wondering if it was related to Puritan rejection of the holidays. But there was plenty of charismatic teaching too, like Derek Prince. He was into breaking all your ancestral curses from the occult and pagan practices and I wonder if it was him. Who knows, we all passed out Chick tracts too back then, and Chick hated everything RCC.

On the plus side, thinking evergreens inside is a symbol of the sun God's resurrection, three days after the solstice when he died, which may be true whatever his name is/was, and rejecting what was seen as a Satanic counterfeit for the true resurrection three days after Jesus died, has saved me a ton of money and work. I've had friends who put days and days of work into decorating including a tree and all the ornaments and the rest of the house decor. God knew my problems with five kids on one income and too much time and money pressures. It worked for good.

I've read that the Romans adopted the Greek and Babylonian Gods. I guess its all the same principalities and powers with various names anyway. Maybe Mithra was Shamash and some teacher mixed it up with Nimrod? I have no idea. Ideas get introduced and popular and back then I was very teachable- ie, naive.

I don't have time now to do any research on if Mithra was originally Babylonian. Kids just had a baby and we have 2 year old grandson; Covid is in the church inc. Pastor, so staying home and my book reading today is pictures of animals and more animals. Merry Christmas! Thanks again for the imput.

We understand this is your stated position. Yet, I think what others are getting at is that cherishing traditions and decorations which are overtly tied to this superstitious holy-day is like lighting a candle of fondness in the heart that seems at odds with the following verses.

Jude 23, "...hating even the garment spotted by the flesh."
Jeremiah 10:2, "...learn not the way of the heathen."
1 John 2:21, "...no lie is of the truth."
Providence would just so have it that we were treated to a sermon on Psalm 1 a bit ago for AM worship. I appreciate the desire to not walk in the ways of the ungodly and also endeavor to be like the blessed man.

It’s why I won’t watch horror movies, observe Halloween, drink whiskey (not that alcohol consumption is sin in moderation) so on and so forth. Not all will arrive to my same conclusion on those though, and if I were to speak against it I’d probably get significant pushback.

The point that I’m making is God alone is Lord of the conscience, and we as men must be careful not to bind the consciences of others where Scripture is silent.

[...] It’s why I won’t watch horror movies, observe Halloween, drink whiskey (not that alcohol consumption is sin in moderation) so on and so forth. Not all will arrive to my same conclusion on those though, and if I were to speak against it I’d probably get significant pushback.

The point that I’m making is God alone is Lord of the conscience, and we as men must be careful not to bind the consciences of others where Scripture is silent.
Exactly.

Lol. I appreciate the correction.

The History Channel ( I have no idea how accurate they are) says this about Rome: In addition, members of the upper classes often celebrated the birthday of Mithra, the god of the unconquerable sun, on December 25. It was believed that Mithra, an infant god, was born of a rock. For some Romans, Mithra’s birthday was the most sacred day of the year. https://www.history.com/topics/christmas/history-of-christmas

I'm going back maybe 45 years here, but it was all over that we had to flee Babylon which included all the Christmas and Easter trappings. I wish I could remember who was teaching this so strongly. A lot of hubs friends were WTS grads and I'm wondering if it was related to Puritan rejection of the holidays. But there was plenty of charismatic teaching too, like Derek Prince. He was into breaking all your ancestral curses from the occult and pagan practices and I wonder if it was him. Who knows, we all passed out Chick tracts too back then, and Chick hated everything RCC.

On the plus side, thinking evergreens inside is a symbol of the sun God's resurrection, three days after the solstice when he died, which may be true whatever his name is/was, and rejecting what was seen as a Satanic counterfeit for the true resurrection three days after Jesus died, has saved me a ton of money and work. I've had friends who put days and days of work into decorating including a tree and all the ornaments and the rest of the house decor. God knew my problems with five kids on one income and too much time and money pressures. It worked for good.

I've read that the Romans adopted the Greek and Babylonian Gods. I guess its all the same principalities and powers with various names anyway. Maybe Mithra was Shamash and some teacher mixed it up with Nimrod? I have no idea. Ideas get introduced and popular and back then I was very teachable- ie, naive.

I don't have time now to do any research on if Mithra was originally Babylonian. Kids just had a baby and we have 2 year old grandson; Covid is in the church inc. Pastor, so staying home and my book reading today is pictures of animals and more animals. Merry Christmas! Thanks again for the imput.
It is not beyond the history channel to distort history to their own ends. They think the Jesus Seminar and Dan Brown are accurate scholars of church history and think the Bible contains aliens and UFOs.

Lots of mental theological gymnastics you have going on here, while simultaneously ignoring the position of myself and others that we in no way hold the day itself to be holy.
Not sure what gymnastics you are referring to - you replied to someone's post that it was "challenging if you endeavor to be consistent with virtually any other “holiday”." I was not ignoring whatever position it was that you hold - I was simply showing how it was not all that challenging for some of us to be consistent.

If you have to cite another source to even explain what you hold to, you may want to reconsider how logical it truly is.
I am a bit mystified by this statement. Most things I hold to are better explained by others. Quoting from the subordinate standards one adheres to is a rather ordinary (and logical) practice.

God alone is Lord of the conscience
"and hath left it free from the doctrines and commandments of men which are in anything contrary to his Word, or beside it, in matters of faith or worship. So that to believe such doctrines, or to obey such commands out of conscience, is to betray true liberty of conscience; and the requiring of an implicit faith, and an absolute and blind obedience, is to destroy liberty of conscience, and reason also. They who, upon pretense of Christian liberty, do practice any sin, or cherish any lust, do thereby destroy the end of Christian liberty....the power which God hath ordained, and the liberty which Christ hath purchased, are not intended by God to destroy, but mutually to uphold and preserve one another.... publishing of such opinions, or maintaining of such practices, as are contrary to the light of nature, or to the known principles of Christianity, whether concerning faith, worship, or conversation; or to the power of godliness; or such erroneous opinions or practices as, either in their own nature, or in the manner of publishing or maintaining them, are destructive to the external peace and order which Christ hath established in the Church; they may lawfully be called to account" (WCF 20.2-4) While some may internally not set some days apart as holy, consider that some of their external actions give that appearance and thus can affect the peace of the Church.

"and hath left it free from the doctrines and commandments of men which are in anything contrary to his Word, or beside it, in matters of faith or worship. So that to believe such doctrines, or to obey such commands out of conscience, is to betray true liberty of conscience; and the requiring of an implicit faith, and an absolute and blind obedience, is to destroy liberty of conscience, and reason also. They who, upon pretense of Christian liberty, do practice any sin, or cherish any lust, do thereby destroy the end of Christian liberty....the power which God hath ordained, and the liberty which Christ hath purchased, are not intended by God to destroy, but mutually to uphold and preserve one another.... publishing of such opinions, or maintaining of such practices, as are contrary to the light of nature, or to the known principles of Christianity, whether concerning faith, worship, or conversation; or to the power of godliness; or such erroneous opinions or practices as, either in their own nature, or in the manner of publishing or maintaining them, are destructive to the external peace and order which Christ hath established in the Church; they may lawfully be called to account" (WCF 20.2-4) While some may internally not set some days apart as holy, consider that some of their external actions give that appearance and thus can affect the peace of the Church.
Affect the peace of the church?

Okay, let’s talk about that for a moment since it is a matter of first importance; would you go to a fellow member privately and eventually even an elder to express concern over a fellow church member observing Christmas in the privacy of their own home?

I’m not familiar with the process of church discipline within Presbyterian polity but I’m assuming the first and second steps are similar to that of Baptists.

Affect the peace of the church?

Okay, let’s talk about that for a moment since it is a matter of first importance; would you go to a fellow member privately and eventually even an elder to express concern over a fellow church member observing Christmas in the privacy of their own home?

I’m not familiar with the process of church discipline within Presbyterian polity but I’m assuming the first and second steps are similar to that of Baptists.
I suggested it has the possibility to "affect the peace of the Church." The fact that we disagree at the moment suggests this is so. To answer your question, a member of the congregation I attend has approached another member over them having a decorated tree in their house. The former finds it offensive especially since the latter is an elder. I have not seen it myself. If I see it, I, too, would express offense. The elder's wife is having a "Christmas party/craft time" at their home for the women in the congregation. My wife is available but is not going. This does not sound peaceful.

To turn the question around, if your minister invited you to his home at the end of October to watch horror movies in a costume and drink whiskey, would that give offense to you? Would it be different if he did that in the privacy of his own home and hid it from public view? How can someone observe Christmas or Halloween in the privacy of their own home? Are they hiding it from others and not inviting people over for hospitality and fellowship? Nothing we practice in the privacy of our home should give offense to our brethren should it become known if we are seeking the peace of the Church. I believe both our Confessions, in discussing Christian Liberty and Liberty of Conscience, when they state that God alone is Lord of the conscience, are speaking in the context of not having to follow or believe the doctrines and commandments of men that are not contained in Scripture - not giving license to invent and observe whatever we please.

What does "observing Christmas" look like? Is it not setting aside a day (making it "holy" or set apart)? Are you saying your observation of the day is completely non-religious (no mention of the Incarnation)? If it is some type of private, familial observance, isn't such still governed by your standards which say that "the acceptable way of worshipping the true God, is instituted by himself, and so limited by his own revealed will, that he may not be worshipped according to the imagination and devices of men, nor the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representations, or any other way not prescribed in the Holy Scriptures" (LBCF 22.1)?

Feel free to keep poking, brother - it is helpful to hear from your perspective as I interact with the difference of belief in our congregation.

Feel free to keep poking, brother - it is helpful to hear from your perspective as I interact with the difference of belief in our congregation.
I have not read all the posts here, pardon me, but there is a difference in beliefs in your congregation over this? With regards to?

I suggested it has the possibility to "affect the peace of the Church." The fact that we disagree at the moment suggests this is so. To answer your question, a member of the congregation I attend has approached another member over them having a decorated tree in their house. The former finds it offensive especially since the latter is an elder. I have not seen it myself. If I see it, I, too, would express offense. The elder's wife is having a "Christmas party/craft time" at their home for the women in the congregation. My wife is available but is not going. This does not sound peaceful.

To turn the question around, if your minister invited you to his home at the end of October to watch horror movies in a costume and drink whiskey, would that give offense to you? Would it be different if he did that in the privacy of his own home and hid it from public view? How can someone observe Christmas or Halloween in the privacy of their own home? Are they hiding it from others and not inviting people over for hospitality and fellowship? Nothing we practice in the privacy of our home should give offense to our brethren should it become known if we are seeking the peace of the Church. I believe both our Confessions, in discussing Christian Liberty and Liberty of Conscience, when they state that God alone is Lord of the conscience, are speaking in the context of not having to follow or believe the doctrines and commandments of men that are not contained in Scripture - not giving license to invent and observe whatever we please.

What does "observing Christmas" look like? Is it not setting aside a day (making it "holy" or set apart)? Are you saying your observation of the day is completely non-religious (no mention of the Incarnation)? If it is some type of private, familial observance, isn't such still governed by your standards which say that "the acceptable way of worshipping the true God, is instituted by himself, and so limited by his own revealed will, that he may not be worshipped according to the imagination and devices of men, nor the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representations, or any other way not prescribed in the Holy Scriptures" (LBCF 22.1)?

You countered with a few different scenarios, please forebear with me as I sincerely try to address all of them with the attention they deserve.

1) An elder is held to a much higher standard than the layman, so I humbly don’t think this is the best example you could have used. A better one would be if I visited a fellow church member’s home and witnessed such things. In which case I would talk with the brother privately at a neutral setting, but no I would not approach the elders over that.

2) What we do in the privacy of our own homes is not necessarily secret, as our lives ought to be transparent to our brethren and the church we are under. But we also don’t want to go around being what I call the “church police”. Elders don’t do such things, why would the laity? We want unity, not uniformity.

Observing the secular aspects of Christmas in one’s own home while recognizing that the current of men’s thoughts (to borrow from CH Spurgeon) are on the incarnation is not a matter of sin. Though it may be a sin to you as you can’t do so in faith, it is not a transgression of God’s law.

3) LBCF 21.2 does speak of God alone being Lord of the conscience in the context of forbidding non biblical doctrines being compelled on a believer. But good and necessary consequences can also expand this to believers not charging others with sin where Scripture is silent. And no one is compelling a head of house to observe Christmas. At least no HOH should allow such pressure.

4) Observing Christmas for my family involves all of the things you would imagine minus any Santa talk or images of Christ. We open gifts, watch secular Christmas movies, and eat and be merry. Though that will not be happening this year, we will instead do such activities on Christmas Eve.
———————————

It is good that you are not going against your conscience , but my concern is that you are binding the consciences of others. We need to be careful with that. Particularly in regard to our own perspective local churches; we must show Christ like patience and forbearance with our own brethren where Scripture is silent.

You countered with a few different scenarios
I noticed you skipped over the October one...
Observing the secular aspects of Christmas in one’s own home while recognizing that the current of men’s thoughts (to borrow from CH Spurgeon) are on the incarnation is not a matter of sin. Though it may be a sin to you as you can’t do so in faith,
How does one observe "the secular aspects of Christmas... in faith"?
minus any Santa talk or images of Christ. We open gifts, watch secular Christmas movies
Could you give an example of the secular Christmas movies you watch that don't refer to Santa or Christ since, as you put it, "the current of men’s thoughts... are on the incarnation." We don't watch any such movies because I think they all seem to include such references.
my concern is that you are binding the consciences of others.
How so? Again, you initially asked how one could observe Thanksgiving and birthdays, but not Christmas, and be consistent. I answered from the standards I adhere to. I have recognized that your standards differ. I have told you what I do/would do. Where have I told you what you should do? If the standards I have referenced affect your conscience, it is not my doing. With humility I submit you might consider why your conscience might be pricked.

I noticed you skipped over the October one...

How does one observe "the secular aspects of Christmas... in faith"?

Could you give an example of the secular Christmas movies you watch that don't refer to Santa or Christ since, as you put it, "the current of men’s thoughts... are on the incarnation." We don't watch any such movies because I think they all seem to include such references.

How so? Again, you initially asked how one could observe Thanksgiving and birthdays, but not Christmas, and be consistent. I answered from the standards I adhere to. I have recognized that your standards differ. I have told you what I do/would do. Where have I told you what you should do? If the standards I have referenced affect your conscience, it is not my doing. With humility I submit you might consider why your conscience might be pricked.
I think I’ve taken enough time out of my Lord’s Day evening answering your inquiries. I will not be taking further homework assignments as I suspect they will not end anytime soon.

My parting words to you are ones of caution; be very trepidatious while in the body of Christ being quick to cause division over matters in which are unclear at best. On internet forums being idealistic is all well and good, but while in Christ’s church you are playing for keeps.

Some words to ponder.

I think I’ve taken enough time out of my Lord’s Day evening answering your inquiries. I will not be taking further homework assignments as I suspect they will not end anytime soon.

My parting words to you are ones of caution; be very trepidatious while in the body of Christ being quick to cause division over matters in which are unclear at best. On internet forums being idealistic is all well and good, but while in Christ’s church you are playing for keeps.

Some words to ponder.
Apologies for asking too many questions. I'm not sure what the "playing for keeps" bit was about. For what it's worth, I try my best to consistently hold to my ideals wherever I go. I'd be happy to work out any offence I've given you in the private Conversation option. Or in person - I recall you stating recently you are close to Syracuse; so am I.

With Charity, Andrew

Apologies for asking too many questions. I'm not sure what the "playing for keeps" bit was about. For what it's worth, I try my best to consistently hold to my ideals wherever I go. I'd be happy to work out any offence I've given you in the private Conversation option. Or in person - I recall you stating recently you are close to Syracuse; so am I.

With Charity, Andrew
No apologies necessary, nor do we need to hash this out any further. We have a gentleman’s disagreement and can leave it as such. I sincerely hope you had a blessed Sabbath day today.

Grace and peace,
David

“For those who reject Xmas as a holy day”.. anyone here celebrating Christmas in the privacy of their own home obviously rejects it as a holy day. It’s not the Lord’s Day (and if it falls on the Lord’s Day like this year we must not change our Sabbath routines).

Many here also celebrate birthdays and Thanksgiving, those aren’t holy days either. You seem to be arguing that it’s not a matter of private liberty, which is challenging if you endeavor to be consistent with virtually any other “holiday”.
David,

I did not reply yesterday because it was the Sabbath, but I've already addressed most of what you mentioned in post #34 and following, that the syncretism of the winter holiday (so-called) =/= Purim, Thanksgiving, or birthdays. Though the only men recorded in Scripture who celebrate their birthday were Pharaoh and Herod ;)

There is enough to chew on in the posts already present to whether or not one decides to "observe" it or not. Let me ask instead, considering Isaiah 58:13-14, since we are not to do our own pleasures on God's holy day when we have 6 other days of the week for our own ways and our own words, will you be "celebrating" this upon the Sabbath Day?

God only knows how many congregations are shortening or canceling his worship, which he loves more than anything else (Psalm 87:2), to accommodate this folly.

David,

I did not reply yesterday because it was the Sabbath, but I've already addressed most of what you mentioned in post #34 and following, that the syncretism of the winter holiday (so-called) =/= Purim, Thanksgiving, or birthdays. Though the only men recorded in Scripture who celebrate their birthday were Pharaoh and Herod ;)

There is enough to chew on in the posts already present to whether or not one decides to "observe" it or not. Let me ask instead, considering Isaiah 58:13-14, since we are not to do our own pleasures on God's holy day when we have 6 other days of the week for our own ways and our own words, will you be "celebrating" this upon the Sabbath Day?

God only knows how many congregations are shortening or canceling his worship, which he loves more than anything else (Psalm 87:2), to accommodate this folly.
I addressed your question preemptively in posts #8 and #76 in order to avoid any appearance of evil. To save you the trouble though, no of course we will not be observing Christmas on the Lord’s Day.

And our church would NEVER shorten worship for a secular holiday. We have AM and PM worship every Lord’s Day with expository preaching, along with mandatory corporate prayer meeting every Wednesday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back