Foods that will lower cholesterol fat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott1

Puritanboard Commissioner
I've often felt (not scientifically verified) that God has placed foods we would normally eat in His creation that would counterbalance high cholesterol.

By eating in a temperate and thankful way, one could eat meat, eggs and items with cholesterol and not develop high cholesterol or have to rely on "maintenance" medications to lower it.

Several sources, including the Mayo Clinic seem to verify that.

Here is a list of foods, incorporated regularly as lifestyle diet, that can help to do that, allow one to still eat the other things and not imbalance cholesterol levels.

A cross section from these articles:
(not in any particular order)

1) eat oatmeal regularly
2) substitute olive oil for most other kinds of cooking oil
3) eat fish a couple times a week
4) generously use onions and garlic for flavoring
5) chile, chili, and beans
6) piece of fruit most days
7) leguminous vegetables

Cholesterol: The top five foods to lower your numbers - MayoClinic.com

lower LDL-Cholesterol Naturally – Try 7 Foods

9 Foods that Lower Cholesterol - iVillage Your Total Health

So, would anyone want to concentrate on say, 5 of the 7 of these for a month and see if it lowers your cholesterol fat levels, and report back here? (Not suggesting anyone change any medication they are now taking, only that, whatever their situation, they monitor it, incorporating the substantial majority of these changes, and see if there is an effect).

Last edited:
I'd say substitute olive oil for most kinds of fats rather than cooking oil. Shortening as completely disappeared from my kitchen and often you can substitute the oil for butter, like when flavoring veggies.

I'm not likely to have a way of measuring my cholesterol levels, so I don't know if I'd be a good addition to your experiment, but I do support what you've mentioned.

Canola oil (often touted as the healthiest oil substitute) is highly processed, otherwise it would be inedible because of bitterness. So another area I've wondered about is the amount of changes foods undergo. We've all heard of the 98-year-old (fill in the blank) who ate eggs every morning and beef for the other two meals and is as fit as a fiddle. My theory is that he may be healthy because he is eating real eggs and beef and not a processed "egg product" and "healthy" beef granules substitute ....

Is pig lard bad?

Likely you know the best answer is lard is not good for you.

My theory, based on some empirical observation of others over time is that even it can be used very occasionally and not raise cholesterol fat levels. If one is making a lifestyle of the other varied food items, occasional use of lard (it is very good for pie crusts) is not going to affect cholesterol fat.

1) eat oatmeal regularly
2) substitute olive oil for most other kinds of cooking oil
3) eat fish a couple times a week
4) generously use onions and garlic for flavoring
5) chile, chili, and beans
6) piece of fruit most days
7) leguminous vegetables

Although it is not part of the suggested test here, I would recommend very much limiting (but not eliminating) pork.

The idea would be those who have been told they have high cholesterol levels to incorporate say 5 of 7 of the food items into their diet for a month and otherwise continue their normal eating patterns (e.g. eggs, meat, french fries, pastries, fried foods, etc.) and see if it brings cholesterol down.

Is pig lard bad?

(it is very good for pie crusts)

That's what I'm talking about! My mom use to bake with pig lard. Good stuff. I'd eat it again if I could get my hands on it.

Yes, mine as well.

The theory might be it could be used, but I would be constrained to say only a couple times a month only, incidental use (maybe two pies a month), and not effect high cholesterol.

While there is no strict correlation here, we might have a biblical principle here to draw from. ("Pulse" is basically leguminous vegetables, which includes leafy vegetables, peas and beans.)

Daniel 1

1In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon unto Jerusalem, and besieged it.

2And the Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, with part of the vessels of the house of God: which he carried into the land of Shinar to the house of his god; and he brought the vessels into the treasure house of his god.

3And the king spake unto Ashpenaz the master of his eunuchs, that he should bring certain of the children of Israel, and of the king's seed, and of the princes;

4Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king's palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans.

5And the king appointed them a daily provision of the king's meat, and of the wine which he drank: so nourishing them three years, that at the end thereof they might stand before the king.

6Now among these were of the children of Judah, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah:

7Unto whom the prince of the eunuchs gave names: for he gave unto Daniel the name of Belteshazzar; and to Hananiah, of Shadrach; and to Mishael, of Meshach; and to Azariah, of Abednego.

8But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.

9Now God had brought Daniel into favour and tender love with the prince of the eunuchs.

10And the prince of the eunuchs said unto Daniel, I fear my lord the king, who hath appointed your meat and your drink: for why should he see your faces worse liking than the children which are of your sort? then shall ye make me endanger my head to the king.

11Then said Daniel to Melzar, whom the prince of the eunuchs had set over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah,

12Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat, and water to drink.

13Then let our countenances be looked upon before thee, and the countenance of the children that eat of the portion of the king's meat: and as thou seest, deal with thy servants.

14So he consented to them in this matter, and proved them ten days.

15And at the end of ten days their countenances appeared fairer and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the king's meat.

16Thus Melzar took away the portion of their meat, and the wine that they should drink; and gave them pulse.

17As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.

18Now at the end of the days that the king had said he should bring them in, then the prince of the eunuchs brought them in before Nebuchadnezzar.

19And the king communed with them; and among them all was found none like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: therefore stood they before the king.

20And in all matters of wisdom and understanding, that the king enquired of them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers that were in all his realm.

21And Daniel continued even unto the first year of king Cyrus.

I'm definitely in the little every-once-in-a-while camp. And I think lard is healthier than the hydrogenated (or anything from a laboratory) fats. I don't use it because I don't have a good source -- what's sold in the store moves so slowly, I'm concerned the flavor would be "off."

Scott, your list is a great reminder to eat healthily. I'm all for that. Thanks for it! It inspires me to do better. Really.

Can you hear a "but..." coming?

But... I can't help but question whether Daniel 1 may be used to argue for a such a diet. Isn't the point of that passage that God made Daniel and his buddies strong and healthy and wise in spite of an inferior diet that wouldn't normally produce those results?

Scott, your list is a great reminder to eat healthily. I'm all for that. Thanks for it! It inspires me to do better. Really.

Can you hear a "but..." coming?

But... I can't help but question whether Daniel 1 may be used to argue for a such a diet. Isn't the point of that passage that God made Daniel and his buddies strong and healthy and wise in spite of an inferior diet that wouldn't normally produce those results?

You're right, we would not want to make a correlation with the modern day consensus diets of the original post. There are too many variations.

The only thing the passage in Daniel does seem to show is that there is health wisdom in eating a lot of leguminous vegetables.

Scott, it is highly debated in the nutrition community whether eating animal fats and cholesterol are even bad for you at all. There was even a documentary that came out a while back called Fat Head where a guy went on a 70% animal fat diet and lost weight and lost bad cholesterol. Fat Head

Last edited:
Austin,

Will you then take the diet challenge to prove that out?

I do try to eat real food and not processed food. So I eat a lot of meat and lots of vegetables. Also, it's better to buy real meat (not fat-free) and real butter rather than processed "heart healthy" low-cholesterol "butter." And the list goes on. I don't buy the lie that factories can process food that's better for you than what God made for our bodies in nature. And frankly, the science bears that out. Most of the stuff they put in processed "healthy" foods to replace the fat (which is good for you) is really bad for you.

Is pig lard bad?

(it is very good for pie crusts)

That's what I'm talking about! My mom use to bake with pig lard. Good stuff. I'd eat it again if I could get my hands on it.

Scott said:
(maybe two pies a month)

If I can have two pies a month that are exclusively mine I could deal with that!

Is pig lard bad?

Not if it is spread on toast.

That'll work!

Canola oil (often touted as the healthiest oil substitute) is highly processed, otherwise it would be inedible because of bitterness. So another area I've wondered about is the amount of changes foods undergo. We've all heard of the 98-year-old (fill in the blank) who ate eggs every morning and beef for the other two meals and is as fit as a fiddle. My theory is that he may be healthy because he is eating real eggs and beef and not a processed "egg product" and "healthy" beef granules substitute ....

I think that we will see that the processing is what is getting us a lot of the time. Any bread my wife makes would not last a week on a shelf, it would be green and crawling by that time. How is it that much of the bread on the shelves of the supermarket is able to linger, mould-free, for weeks? Nasty.

Also, look at an Amish diet: lard, butter, beef, lots of sugar in the jams they eat. (They also walk to circumference of the earth in a 12-month period, but that's probably got nothing to do with it.) From what I understand, their life expectancy is almost at par with the highly-vitaminized Americans around them, but they don't use most of it.

PS - we render our own lard. Buy pig fat, get out a cast iron pot/pan, cut the fat into 1-in cubes, add about 1/2 c of water to start it boiling, and render away. Great pie crusts and great everything else too.

Gentlemen, let's not turn this into a promotion of pig lard!

We're trying to help people to naturally lower cholesterol with variety our Lord has already provided. This is a serious problem for many, and for many who do not realize that it is.:):):)

51679641_130b585ded.jpg

OINK!!!!!!!

Would this be oinkobaptism?

Scott, I was once very much into an extreme healthy living style...too extreme. Oh, I was healthy, very healthy, but my priorities were wrong. However, I think it is time for a balanced approach and I'd like to see this thread return to that subject. Exercise is an important element of that thought as well. Again, I was too extreme with that too. Not so much, physically, but spiritually. I was neglecting the most important things. Again, it's balance.

Getting pregnant (and now nursing) made me really examine the processed foods in our house. We eat for convenience a lot, which doesn't have to mean processed foods, but for many, it does. I switched our lunchmeat, cheese, soups, etc. to natural choices to make sure I was doing the best I could for Grace. We were already using whole grains in our cereals, pasta, bread, etc. Sometimes it's easier to think of our health in terms of what it means to someone else than for ourselves---I want to be healthy to enjoy the life God has given me, especially with my family.

As much as I love bacon, I have been trying to get oatmeal into my diet at least 4-5 times a week. But my wife cooks like the Southwestern beauty that she is to offset the oatmeal (so I should be at cholesterol equilibrium...)

Funny thing is, I am overweight, would appear to have massive stress in my life, and almost without fail clock in at 120 over 80 when it comes to BP. At last check, my cholesterol is normal. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, I am overweight, would appear to have massive stress in my life, and almost without fail clock in at 120 over 80 when it comes to BP. At last check, my cholesterol is normal. I don't get it.

Some of that is genetic disposition, I think. My cholesterol is so low that it literally barely registers and I do very little to manage it.

Frying with olive oil is not a good idea. When we have it, we use coconut oil, because there is no heat damage.

BTW, my wife is a fan of "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. If you get into the whole diet it advocates, you will see some real changes in your general wellbeing.

These are some interesting points from the documentary I mentioned earlier (Fat Head):

* There’s never been a single study that proves saturated fat causes heart disease.
* As heart-disease rates were skyrocketing in the mid-1900s, consumption of animal fat was going down, not up. Consumption of vegetable oils, however, was going up dramatically.
* Half of all heart-attack victims have normal or low cholesterol. Autopsies performed on heart-attack victims routinely reveal plaque-filled arteries in people whose cholesterol was low (as low as 115 in one case).
* Asian Indians - half of whom are vegetarians - have one of the highest rates of heart disease in the entire world. Yup, that fatty meat will kill you, all right.
* When Morgan Spurlock tells you that a McDonald’s salad supplies almost a day’s allowance of fat, he’s basing that statement on the FDA’s low-fat/high-carbohydrate dietary guidelines, which in turn are based on … absolutely nothing. There’s no science behind those guidelines; they were simply made up by a congressional committee.
* Kids who were diagnosed as suffering from ADD have been successfully treated by re-introducing natural saturated fats into their diets. Your brain is made largely of fat.
* Many epileptics have reduced or eliminated seizures by adopting a diet low in sugar and starch and high in saturated animal fats.
* Despite everything you’ve heard about saturated fat being linked to cancer, that link is statistically weak. However, there is a strong link between sugar and cancer. In Europe, doctors tell patients, “Sugar feeds cancer.”
* Being fat is not, in and of itself, bad for your health. The behaviors that can make you fat - eating excess sugar and starch, not getting any exercise - can also ruin your health, and that’s why being fat is associated with bad health. But it’s entirely possible to be fat and healthy. It’s also possible to be thin while developing Type II diabetes and heart disease.
* Saturated fat and cholesterol help produce testosterone. When men limit their saturated fat, their testosterone level drops. So, regardless of what a famous vegan chef believes, saturated fat does not impair sexual performance.

Fat Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back