Flood - Fresh/Saltwater fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
I believe it is generally assumed that no fish or ocean life went aboard the ark (makes sense to the average person because, hey, a flood is just a bunch more water). However, all freshwater fish can't live in saltwater, and neither can all saltwater fish live in freshwater. Lots of ocean life is sensitive to even slight changes in salinity. Is there a scientific solution to this challenge for a world-wide flood?

When animals adapt to a more specific environment they specialize to more narrow living conditions. A specialized modern house dog might lose a foot to frostbite is it got wet in cold almost frozen water but it's original relative a wolf would be able to run foot loose and fancy through frozen puddles with no worries.

The fish today are not the same as the pre flood fish from then. The original animals pre flood could have been more robust and some adaptable to things fish today could not be. Additionally there are underwater freshwater and salt water caves and such and its possible God preserved some fish that way that their tougher originals may have been able to survive... After the flood animals life including fish would have micro evolved to the niche eco systems of today and while a modern goldfish may not have been able to survive the problems you bring up, it's more robust great gand daddy fish may have

Even animals living just after the flood may appear fairly robust, a pre flood elephant may have been more like mastodon and mammoth for example... more robust but still elephants.. Even North American beaver from only thousands of years ago could be 6 to 8 ft tall, more robust.

That's the way I look at it, not everyone does and I'd be interested in hearing other opinions.

Last edited:
If the rain was fresh water and the oceans salt, to raise the water levels high enough to flood all the land, you are going to end up with brackish water. Thus freshwater fish and saltwater fish might have survived at the limits of their tolerances. And many fish have a greater range than we might want to credit - saltwater fish are sometimes found far upstream, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back