Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
I decided this was the year that I would pick up my childhood hobby of fishing. The last time I did any serious fishing I was 14 or 15 so it has been about 20 years. My grandfather had all of my tackle so I dusted it off, picked up my permit, bought some worms and headed to the river.

sheephead.jpg catfish.jpg

I didn't do too bad. Pike, catfish and fresh water Drum seemed to be all I can catch. Any types or tricks on fishing or cooking fish are welcome.

Thanks.

Very nice catch. I like to loosely wrap the fillets in aluminum foil, top with a sliced sweet onion and a couple of lemon slices and drizzle with olive oil, and cook on the grill. (I realize I'm steaming rather than truly grilling, but I'm paranoid about getting the fish stuck to the grill.)

I plan to fish all day tomorrow. About a month ago I found a little spot where I pull in large mouth bass all day. I use shrimp and worms, sinker, floats and jigs with success.

I I didn't do too bad. Pike, catfish and fresh water Drum seemed to be all I can catch. Any types or tricks on fishing or cooking fish are welcome.

Thanks.

One word how to cook a fish....fried, and another 2 words how to get fish.....Grocery store.

Just kidding, I fish a lot though catching is another matter.

I watched an episode of King Fisher which started in Canada where they landed an almost world record white sturgeon. Then they came to the UK where the weather was so bad that they could not fish in the sea. So what did our English fisherman do he had them fish the rockpools for gobbies etc... The comments from the other anglers was priceless.

Apparently according to the Greek word for the 2 fish that our Lord blest,
denominates them as no bigger than sardines! That not only gives the miracle
a greater dimension, but shows that there "ain't nuthin' wrong with small fish."
God willing ,we head North to the outer Hebrides in a fortnight, and will catch the late run
of Salmon.

Jason, nice catches! Catfish is one of my favorite fish. I like to cook it Cajun style, filleted and with a spicy batter: McCormick Golden Dipt Cajun Seafood Fry Mix (12 pack – one may also buy it in single packages). Living in NYC now I have to get my fish at the supermarket.

You sure seem to be doing alright with what you are doing now. I like to use bait indigenous to the locality. An all-around good bait is worms, especially nightcrawlers; I also have used small frogs, crayfish (from whatever stream or river I am fishing in), minnows, etc. I generally prefer live bait to lures, though on occasion I have used a lure. When I did fish I used a spinning rod and reel. If I don't want to catch "bottom fish" I keep my bait off the bottom, either with a float, or otherwise. Now, in NYC, I don't get out in the country much – though I did visit Woodstock NY earlier this week to visit friends and my old hometown, but no fishing.

If the electric grid is brought down by America's adversaries (is the Holy One our adversary now?) and we are catapulted into the life of two centuries ago, I still have some of my old gear, and could fish for sustenance, if we could get to clean water and safety. Used to be an avid outdoorsman, and still have those wilderness survival skills, though I am aging and far from as hardy as I used to be.

What do you guys use for bait?

I don't want to open a can of worms here, but I prefer handmade flies. ;)

Of course, I'm going after trout, steelhead, and salmon. Using bait in my neck of the prairie might result in being cast into local-fishing outer darkness.

Thanks fellas for the advice. This season has been a blessing to me and my family in many ways. I have cultivated a hobby that is relaxing, provides meat for the table and a hobby that has given me time to slow down and think about God's word more deeply. I find myself praying in thanks giving to God for all the good gifts He has given me that I have often ignored. I don't keep everything I catch but I am thankful for what I do catch and careful to release the fish quickly and without damaging them.

I didn't really enjoy fishing until I was a believe but that's true of life in general.

Yours in The Lord,

j

I've been fishing the same spot the last 5 times out and this is my 11th large mouth. Awesome season so far. I might invest in some new tackle since all of my tackle is at least 20 years old. The rod and reel I'm using now was found on the end of my line about 20 years ago! Someone lost it in the bay and I reeled it in.

IMG_0676.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back