First Blast Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
Other than showing the graphic nature of abortion this movie is a must see for all Christians who are committed to pure unmitigated and unadulterated Biblical reasoning and common sense. Whilst this movie is primarily directed at women particularly Christian women to fulfill their God ordained roles, this movie implicitly upbraids lazy, unambitious, ungodly and pleasure loving men who shirk their responsibilities. It also imparts knowledge to the ignorant Christian layman as to God's decreed order for marriage and family.

This is a must see and it should be a gift to every Christian teenage boy and girl.

One thing's for sure, I need to understand the ratings. Violence got a 1 and sex got a 5, so it must have a lot of one and none of the other???

I am wondering why it was necessary to depict the graphic nature of abortion in a movie on the topic of fulfilling Biblical gender roles. For that reason, I probably won't watch it.

Thanks. 18 dollars for 54 minutes looks a bit expensive (there had better be car chases and CGI dinosaurs!).

So does this have anything to do with John Knox?

Sort of - Knox wrote against the atrocities of Mary and this is the title of his writing. It's a twist of old English words with a meaning a bit different than what we see here.

The graphic nature of showing aborted babies shouldn't deter anyone. It's heartbreaking, and accomplishes its purpose. Abortion cannot be divorced from feminism. And it's in direct succession to men abdicating their roles as leaders and protectors of the family. The graphic nature does not last long, but is very clear and challenging. There is a countdown, so you can skip it if you'd like (though you might not realize it until it's too late).

This is not a popcorn and soda pop documentary. It's a challenging presentation of how distorted gender roles are in our society, including our churches. I would venture that everyone on this board could, in some aspect of their thinking, be called a feminist. I thought I was the last one to wear the label, but realized that it's too insidious to be set aside without serious soul searching. Prepare to be challenged and have your perceptions changed. We bought it for our church and almost every family has seen it.

So does this have anything to do with John Knox?

Sort of - Knox wrote against the atrocities of Mary and this is the title of his writing. It's a twist of old English words with a meaning a bit different than what we see here.

The graphic nature of showing aborted babies shouldn't deter anyone. It's heartbreaking, and accomplishes its purpose. Abortion cannot be divorced from feminism. And it's in direct succession to men abdicating their roles as leaders and protectors of the family. The graphic nature does not last long, but is very clear and challenging. There is a countdown, so you can skip it if you'd like (though you might not realize it until it's too late).

This is not a popcorn and soda pop documentary. It's a challenging presentation of how distorted gender roles are in our society, including our churches. I would venture that everyone on this board could, in some aspect of their thinking, be called a feminist. I thought I was the last one to wear the label, but realized that it's too insidious to be set aside without serious soul searching. Prepare to be challenged and have your perceptions changed. We bought it for our church and almost every family has seen it.
you summed it up much better than me. But my inside was hurting and shacking when the abortion scene was shown. I had to shut my eyes and fast it up.

Ripoff title

Why rip off a historical title for a contemporary work?
Can't they think up their own title?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why rip off a historical title for a contemporary work?
Can't they think up their own title?

Good point...perhaps, "Second Blast Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women"

It was not done to "rip off" the title, I'm sure. They reference Knox and his stand against the same issue afflicting us today in the video. In fact, you might go so far as to say that his book was the "inspiration" for the documentary.

BTW, my apology for straying into your post by mistake. I hit edit rather than quote. Oops.

It was not done to "rip off" the title, I'm sure. They reference Knox and his stand against the same issue afflicting us today in the video. In fact, you might go so far as to say that his book was the "inspiration" for the documentary.

Ok, maybe it wasn't a deliberate rip off, but it certainly is a misdirection. Seeing the cover and title would lead me to believe it was a documentary on Knox and his argument against a female monarch. It seems to be an attempt to use the weight of Knox for their own ends [which may be good ends]. Just because I mention John Calvin in my book, should I borrow a facsimile of his 1559 Latin edition of the Institutes to use as the cover for my book? It seems to me that would be misleading, because one might look at the cover and think it is the Latin version of the Institutes, rather than a 21st century systematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back