Fellow "The Mentalist" buffs out there...."Who's Red John?"< possible spoilers>

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackF

Puritan Board Professor
Okay...the creepy crime scene investigator for my money. I thought so several seasons ago. What say you?

I think the crime investigator is too young probably, considering that he would have had to have worked at the farm (and committed his first murders) 25 years earlier.

I've seen some episodes of the show, so at least I understand the question.

My prime suspect would be the Mentalist himself. When a spouse is killed in those circumstances, the first person the cops should look at is the spouse. He has the tricks to divert suspicion. He knows how the criminal mind, and more importantly, the police mind, works. And it's a loose rip off of the Fugitive (the series) which was based on a true event. And having had the privilege one time of hearing from the pathologist in that case, I'm convinced that Sam Sheppard was guilty. So bushy haired man - one armed man - 'red john'.

partridge has my money! Or brett stiles of visualize....out of those seven as he no doubt has many similarities like bunches of follwers willing to die for him and the whole barn thing with those visualize members there. But that doesn't explain why he'd have Lorelei released as his return favor for jane...
Whoever says Tyger, Tyger

Last edited:
I think the crime investigator is too young probably, considering that he would have had to have worked at the farm (and committed his first murders) 25 years earlier.

I thought about that too. However, he could have got his start real young and liked it....

Kimbo. He rarely cracks a smile, and his only outlet are the red smiley faces.

To put it delicately I think "the Cho" was with his girlfriend of ill repute when one of Red John's murders took place. I could be mistaken though.

I've seen some episodes of the show, so at least I understand the question.

My prime suspect would be the Mentalist himself. When a spouse is killed in those circumstances, the first person the cops should look at is the spouse. He has the tricks to divert suspicion. He knows how the criminal mind, and more importantly, the police mind, works. And it's a loose rip off of the Fugitive (the series) which was based on a true event. And having had the privilege one time of hearing from the pathologist in that case, I'm convinced that Sam Sheppard was guilty. So bushy haired man - one armed man - 'red john'.

I know I am sounding like a dork answering these points but if RJ is Jane, then who cut him loose at the end of season 2 and also complained that the murderous film students were poorly imitating RJs work?

partridge has my money! Or brett stiles of visualize....out of those seven as he no doubt has many similarities like bunches of follwers willing to die for him and the whole barn thing with those visualize members there. But that doesn't explain why he'd have Lorelei released as his return favor for jane...
Whoever says Tyger, Tyger

Stiles is the Jack-the-Ripper-Was-the-Prince-of-Wales alternative for RJ but I don't buy it. Some of RJs killings were quick and in direct response to the victims behavior. Stiles way too high profile and immobile to sneak out kill people quickly in RJ syle. Stiles could be "over" RJ but the whole Lorelei thing as you say doesn't make sense then.

I know I am sounding like a dork answering these points but if RJ is Jane, then who cut him loose at the end of season 2 and also complained that the murderous film students were poorly imitating RJs work?

There are two answers to that. One, you appear to have had the (dis)advantage of having seen more episodes than I have. Thus, you are burdened with more facts to have to sift through.

Second - misdirection from a very clever killer.

By the way - remind me in November, and I'll let you in on who was responsible for the Kennedy (JFK, not RFK) shooting.

There are two answers to that. One, you appear to have had the (dis)advantage of having seen more episodes than I have. Thus, you are burdened with more facts to have to sift through.

Second - misdirection from a very clever killer.

By the way - remind me in November, and I'll let you in on who was responsible for the Kennedy (JFK, not RFK) shooting.

I' hold you to that.

The creators of the affirmed that Jane is not RJ. I've heard it suggested that it could be his father in an odd twist, but that seems unlikely. But the connection with the Irish guy does seem strange. But the creator also seemed to affirm that the list of 7 suspects was real, so it is likely (at least) one of them.

I don't know why they'd be misleading us as they basically carve out the way to think about red John. Why then narrow the search to seven if it wasn't other than those seven? Even Red John said it was luck, implying he's one of them.

What think you of Gale Bertrum?

I don't know why they'd be misleading us as they basically carve out the way to think about red John. Why then narrow the search to seven if it wasn't other than those seven? Even Red John said it was luck, implying he's one of them.

What think you of Gale Bertrum?

Bertrum would be the most boring choice. The character that actor played on Prison Break was more menacing.

The creators of the affirmed that Jane is not RJ. I've heard it suggested that it could be his father in an odd twist, but that seems unlikely. But the connection with the Irish guy does seem strange. But the creator also seemed to affirm that the list of 7 suspects was real, so it is likely (at least) one of them.

I thought Jane's parents were dead. Hmm... There is also the guy who played Col. Tigh on BSG. I just don't see RJ as a carny though.

I thought Jane's parents were dead. Hmm... There is also the guy who played Col. Tigh on BSG. I just don't see RJ as a carny though.

Oops. Just remembered. He is not one of the seven.

I do think it probably really is (at least) one of the seven. Personally, given the devotion that his followers show, I think it has to be connected to Visualize somehow, whether through Stiles or through Hafner or both.

=-
I do think it probably really is (at least) one of the seven. Personally, given the devotion that his followers show, I think it has to be connected to Visualize somehow, whether through Stiles or through Hafner or both.

That would be a trip if all seven were involved somehow including one of course being RJ.

Who are the seven?

Bret Stiles (Malcolm McDowell): The leader of Visualize Self-Realization Center
Gale Betram (Michael Gaston): The director of the CBI
Raymond Haffner (Reed Diamond): A CBI agent, Jane’s former boss
Reede Smith (Drew Powell): An FBI agent
Bob Kirkland (Kevin Corrigan): A homeland security agent
Sheriff Thomas McAllister (Xander Berkeley): A sheriff who helped Jane and the CBI solve a murder way back in the second episode of the series.
Brett Partridge (Jack Plotnick): A forensic analysis for the CBI

Who are the seven?

Bret Stiles (Malcolm McDowell): The leader of Visualize Self-Realization Center
Gale Betram (Michael Gaston): The director of the CBI
Raymond Haffner (Reed Diamond): A CBI agent, Jane’s former boss
Reede Smith (Drew Powell): An FBI agent
Bob Kirkland (Kevin Corrigan): A homeland security agent
Sheriff Thomas McAllister (Xander Berkeley): A sheriff who helped Jane and the CBI solve a murder way back in the second episode of the series.
Brett Partridge (Jack Plotnick): A forensic analysis for the CBI

Kirkland is a henchman in my opinion.

Kirkland is a henchman in my opinion.
Kirkland gets my vote. I just wonder what the series will do once RJ is outed and caught or killed. The Red John story arc has dragged on way too long in my opinion and I am anxious to see this draw to a close.

I think the RJ arc is linked to the show arc. I think they have one more good season left in the the show. I hope they don't try to do what they did with the X-Files and drag it on and on with replacement actors/characters.

I like the story arc and I am glad this time around he is only inches away now as oppose to miles; like compare the last season's episode with the season 1 finale where they meet rosiland...but, they could drag it on somehow. Maybe he kills Red John for real and yet, he is still haunted by RJ or new copycat RJ's emerge to keep it going.

I like the story arc and I am glad this time around he is only inches away now as oppose to miles; like compare the last season's episode with the season 1 finale where they meet rosiland...but, they could drag it on somehow. Maybe he kills Red John for real and yet, he is still haunted by RJ or new copycat RJ's emerge to keep it going.

I doubt they will keep it going. It's a Holmes/Moriarty gig. Can't have one without the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back