Feel the Truth of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

PastorSBC

Puritan Board Freshman
While doing my daily devotions I came across the following from John Piper's book Brothers, We Are Not Professionals. I was convicted by it and wanted to pass it along.

Brothers, you have heard it said, "Do not think such negative thoughts, do not preach such negative things, do not look back. Speak of the blessed love of God and look to the new creation." But I say to you, on the authority of Scripture, remember, remember, remember the horrid condition of being separated from Christ without hope and without God, on the brink of hell. . . If I do not believe in my heart these awful truths--believe them so that they are real in my feelings--then the blessed love of God in Christ will scarcely shine at all. The sweetness of the air of redemption will hardly be detectable. The infinite marvel of my new life will be commonplace. The wonder that to me, a child of hell, all things are given for an inheritance will not strike me speechless with trembling humility and lowly gratitude. The whole affair of salvation will seem ho-hum, and my entrance into paradise will seem as matter of course. When the heart no longer feels the truth of hell, the gospel passes from good news to simply news. The intensity of joy is blunted and the heart-spring of love is dried up.

We can never paint hell more terrible than it is - whatever we say can never fully capture its horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back