Federal Vision Spreading To Baptists? James White & Andrew Sandlin

Discussion in 'Federal Vision/New Perspectives' started by psycheives, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Very concerned! Apologia has gone way too far in inviting FV's Sandlin and Sumpter

19.6%
  2. Very concerned! Dr Clark was right to warn us the first time but sadly Apologia still didn't stop!

13.0%
  3. Concerned but I want to give Apologia time to show their true colors and intentions

21.7%
  4. Concerned but I'll wait to hear from Apologia to see how they justify it or explain it away

6.5%
  5. Not concerned

43.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

In the mid to late 90's it had already creeped in by N. T. Wright's writings. Wright's teachings were being read and creeping into the Baptist Church I was a member of. It was fueled by Conferences also. Some of it was due to their attraction to eschatology and N. T. Wright was seemingly Amil and very Kingdom oriented. Reformation and Revival Journals were endorsing some of Wright's teaching concerning Luther and Justification. Wright is a very good writer. He was being lapped up like water in front of a dehydrated dog. I grew cautious when a guy I discipled (and who was a Pastor) decidedly didn't appreciate John Owen or Thomas Goodwin on Justification any longer. He is now Pastoring in a United Church of Christ. His view of scripture went south as he followed Wright and others.

2. A.Joseph

A.Joseph Puritan Board Sophomore

What does academic respectability have to do with having no part with heresy? Tim Keller has tons of academic respectability by today’s standards. But he is no Jonathan Edwards.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

Because what some would view as old time Bible thumping (or Calvinist quoting) when it comes to justification is sneered at in academic circles, and Baptists are already sneered at. I’m not saying it is necessarily a conscious decision. Soft pedaling what the Bible says on certain hot button social issues so that you can maintain respectability in the business world and polite society isn’t always a conscious and deliberate decision either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dachaser

Dachaser Puritan Board Doctor

Is anyone? I just wish those like Both Wright's had no following in either Reformed or Baptist circles.

5. A.Joseph

A.Joseph Puritan Board Sophomore

“Soft pedaling what the Bible says on certain hot button social issues so that you can maintain respectability....”

Sure it is (a conscious choice, short of willful self-deception). What is the faithfully legitimate reason for learned Christian men doing so?

Remember that talk Paul had to have with Peter?

6. Dachaser

Or the Reformers when Rome threaten to kill them off for teaching heresy?

7. Pilgrim

Oh I agree that at some point it is a conscious decision. But it probably starts with something that isn't always necessarily wrong like "Well....you have to be smart and pick your battles" or "We don't want to be like Westboro or that guy in Phoenix" or "I don't want somebody to think I'm one of those fundamentalists, we need a little nuance" or whatever before it gets to outright compromise and apostasy.

8. Dachaser

Agreed, as no heresy just came in full blown, as it started out usually quoting scriptures to a degree, but off in some main issues.

9. Herald

Herald Administrator Staff Member

Likewise, you can't hold to FV and be a Baptist. The two are antithetical. That said, I agree with @BottleOfTears that giving Doug Wilson an audience will be exposing White's audience to error.

10. Dachaser

FV denies Pauline Justification, so only Rome and Wright should like it.

11. SolaScriptura

SolaScriptura Puritan Board Doctor

Woke feminism in the church, which has largely been able to successfully cast the problem as one related to patriarchy, is ensconced. I praise God for those who at least attempt to raise the alarm.

Sane individuals know that we can work with people on causes of mutual concern without agreeing on other areas of doctrine.

Just because Scott Clark sees boogeymen everywhere doesn’t make it so.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  12. Steward

Steward Puritan Board Freshman

Greetings SeanPatrickCornell,

I found Dr. James White's book on Justification by Faith to be excellent.

Book Title: The God Who Justifies
    The Doctrine of Justification

13. Dachaser

FV does not agree with his view.

14. Phil D.

Phil D. Puritan Board Junior

Yet if we have to rely on and thus effectively promote someone as heretical and ethically repulsive as Wilson to take the lead in the culture wars, then we're in even bigger trouble than I thought. Surely we can do better. Surely we must.

• Amen Amen x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

And...?

16. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Senior

How far are you going to take that? I expect that you'll find, eventually, that you'll have to draw a line somewhere.

If Federal Visionists, because of their positions on social issues, are fine, then what about conservative Roman Catholics? JWs? Mormons? Muslims? We might share quite a few of the same positions with these. On the surface, at least. The foundations are very different however. A Christian is not merely a moralist; his morality is grounded in the Word. I think it quite obvious that he should think twice about partnering with anyone whose doctrine proves him an enemy of the gospel.

• Like Like x 2
    • Amen Amen x 1
    • List
  17. Dachaser

That is shown to be true, whenever we partner with Catholics on pro life, and with Muslims against gay marriages then?

18. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Senior

What is shown to be true? I don't understand your comment.

19. Dachaser

We are siding with those against Jesus.

20. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

That raises issues of the public sphere and what a Christian's duty is in that sphere. And if we aren't theocrats, and if the public sphere isn't the Church, then the arguments against partnering with Catholics on theology wouldn't be the same ones as partnering with them against The Deep State.

21. Pilgrim

I think the big red flag here is that the conference was under the banner of Reformed Theology, which implies that all of the participants hold to views that are at least to some degree legitimate expressions of Reformed theology. It might have been different if it was something about culture more broadly.

Some might argue that it is even worse than Evangelicals and Catholics Together since an evangelical is still an evangelical (whatever that is) and a Catholic is still a Catholic at the end of the day, despite the doctrinal indifference (at best) of the whole endeavor. But in this case everybody is considered to be Reformed.

22. BayouHuguenot

upload_2019-12-2_15-59-35.png

23. Dachaser

As long as not theology related, but cultural, ok to stand with them?

24. BayouHuguenot

Except it isn't purely cultural. The Federal Vision view of "headship" can't be abstracted from their whole theology.

25. Dachaser

I was referring if OK to stand with Catholics and Muslims against things such as abortion and gay marriages.

26. SeanPatrickCornell

SeanPatrickCornell Puritan Board Sophomore

No one said that it did.

27. alexandermsmith

alexandermsmith Puritan Board Sophomore

There's no need to team up with the FV crowd in order to take a stand on social issues. White and Apologia have their own platforms. They should just use them to say what they want to say.

This isn't the only instance in which Apologia has allowed their pro-life activism to influence their associations. I'm concerned they have elevated being pro-life to a central mark of grace in the believer and will overlook serious shortfalls in other areas of theology because so-and-so happens to be pro-life. And it's deeply ironic considering how libertarian they are in other areas of personal conduct.

Clark doesn't help himself but he's right here and White, instead of humbly admitting his error, has done his usual and dug his heels in. They're as bad as each other.

28. Rutherglen1794

Rutherglen1794 Puritan Board Junior

This board is just poison sometimes.

29. Taylor Sexton

Taylor Sexton Puritan Board Junior

What do you mean?

30. BayouHuguenot

If they think that is poison, read some of the stories on how women tried to leave the CREC and the FVers tried to stop them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.