Featured Favorite pipe tobacco?

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by Jeremy Ivens, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Jeremy Ivens

Jeremy Ivens Puritan Board Freshman

Mine is Orlik Golden Sliced or G.L. Pease Quiet Nights. I tried some Penzance and fount it very good but overrated. Let's hear your recommendations!

Also, an update on my medical situation: I'm visiting a neurologist/ophthalmologist on July 10th in Little Rock. I've got specks in my vision in my right eye and they aren't floater. I've also had terrible migraines constantly. MRI's are normal. Bowel movements have become impossible without laxative, which is humiliating. Sorry I didn't update sooner. I've been very busy! Oh, and I've attached a pic of my 1 month old son, Calvin Isaiah IMG_0403.JPG

2. Beezer

Beezer Puritan Board Freshman

Handsome son you've got there! Congratulations, what a blessing!

Thanks for the update on your health situation. I'll pray for you this evening.

As for my favorite pipe tobacco:
    1. L.J. Peretti's Royal,
    2. MacBaren's HH Syrian Latakia
    3. Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake

3. Jeremy Ivens

I've never even heard of LJ Peretti! Thanks.

4. JimmyH

JimmyH Puritan Board Junior

LJ Peretti is a tobacconist in Boston if I remember correctly. I smoked some of their blends years ago. Came in what looked like a quart paint can with a yellow label. The one I remember was Peretti's 101. Sort of like Half & Half without the additives they put in the drugstore tobacco now. They do their own blends and it is high quality tobacco.
    Currently my tobaccos of choice are GL Pease Robusto, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap, and 965, the last three in bulk, not tins. Also Gawith & Hoggarth Rum Flake and Consiton Cut Plug, also bulk, not tins. Smokingpipes.com is the best place to order these if you live in the south. Pipesandcigars.com for those closer to NY. I say that for speed of shipping rather than a preference for one or the other.
    Will pray for your physical well being.

5. Jeremy Ivens

I do live in the South and Smoking Pipes shipments arrive in 3 days, which is wicked fast. I love Nightcap and I really enjoy GL Pease Jackknife Plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ray

Ray Puritan Board Freshman

I may not have a favorite pipe tobacco. But my favorite cigar is a Romeo and Juliet straight from Cuba. Still a tobacco:)

7. TylerRay

TylerRay Puritan Board Junior

Congratulations on your son!

I have a hard time choosing favorites, but here are my preferences:
    • Rule #1: I avoid aromatics. I want to taste and smell tobacco, not flavorings.
    • I love English blends. Among my favorites are Early Morning Pipe and 965 Mixture from Dunhill, and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake
    • I love blends that are centered around good Virginia. Three P's (Peterson's Perfect Plug) is a favorite. If you want a good, straight Virginia with a kick to it, try Samuel Gawith's Black XX.
    One of the things I love about pipe tobacco is that if you know what you like, there are endless blends to enjoy. I rarely buy the same tobacco back to back.

Right now, I have Sutliff Breckinridge (which is a great plug-cut Kentucky burley mixture), Suttliff CD (English), and I intend to pick up some SG Black XX tomorrow.

8. Jeremy Ivens

I agree with everything you said. Aro's are not to my liking. I have a shipment of Luxury Bullsey Flake that will be here tomorrow! I've never had it before.

9. GulfCoast Presbyterian

GulfCoast Presbyterian Puritan Board Junior

"Presbyterian Blend" ;)

10. TylerRay

That is definitely among the best tobaccos I've had. I'm happy for you--almost the point of jealousy. ;)
    Enjoy! :cheers2:

11. TylerRay

Nice.

12. Jeremy Ivens

Great stuff but I can't find it anymore :(

13. TylerRay

Have you gotten to try your Bullseye flake yet, brother? What did you think

Unfortunately, I was unable to get any Black XX due to poor planning (I stopped by an out of town cigar bar thirty minutes before they opened, and was on a tight schedule).

14. Jeremy Ivens

It was FANTASTIC. I saved the rest for the cellar. I really want to try Brown No.4 Twist. I think that will be my next purchase.

15. ZackF

ZackF Puritan Board Senior

Tobacco, BMs and babies in one post! Seriously? I am glad to hear your doing okay though. ;)

16. JimmyH

JimmyH Puritan Board Junior

Forgot to mention Gawith & Hoggarth 'Bob's Chocolate Flake.' Smoking a bowl with my coffee now, in a 1930s Comoy Deluxe billiard. Many years ago when G&H Rum Flake was my daily companion, Hearing about them on the pipe forums I ordered some of the G&H ropes. The black and brown xx, or whatever it was.
    I was sitting at my computer one morning when I first lit a bowl of one of those. Within a few minutes the room seemed to begin to spin. I had to lay down for 45 minutes to regain normalcy. I gave the ropes to a friend with more intestinal fortitude than I apparently have. :detective:

17. Beezer

Beezer Puritan Board Freshman

Earlier this morning I enjoyed my coffee out on the back porch with a bowl of C&D's "Straight Up English" (now "Father of the Flame"). I have a tree line behind the house that serves as a refuge for various birds and it's a neat treat to sit out back listening to them while the sun rises and a new day is ushered in. Thanks be to God.

18. Unworthy_Servant

Unworthy_Servant Puritan Board Freshman

Virginia Lane 1-Q. Cheap and amazing blend!

19. Jeremy Ivens

Good stuff, especially for an aromatic! I don't turn snobby when it comes to aromatics but my tongue is very sensitive haha.

20. Jeremy Ivens

Haha. The first time I opened a tin of a VA, I smelled it for like ten minutes straight! Smells like hay

21. GulfCoast Presbyterian

22. Jeremy Ivens

23. GulfCoast Presbyterian

Oh well.

24. TylerRay