Favorite British Scholars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! Curious who are some of your favorite British Scholars? I would prefer to limit it to ones who are conservative and evangelical and are either still alive or lived within the last 100 years.

I will start off. Gordon Wenham

For His Glory-
Matthew

F. F. Bruce, Thomas F. Torrance, Alec Motyer, J. I. Packer, John R. W. Stott, I. Howard Marshall, Allan Harman...

The late T.F. Torrance (arguable whether he's evangelical).

I've read enough by Torrance to be able to say that he was a serious, committed believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. Yes, he was a Barthian - studying under Barth himself in the late 1930s - but, in later years, he had serious disagreements with Barth. I'd say Torrance was the most important British (certainly Scottish!) theologian of the last half of the 20th century.

I've read enough by Torrance to be able to say that he was a serious, committed believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. Yes, he was a Barthian - studying under Barth himself in the late 1930s - but, in later years, he had serious disagreements with Barth. I'd say Torrance was the most important British (certainly Scottish!) theologian of the last half of the 20th century.

Agreed.

Given that someone has mentioned John Stott, I think it is appropriate to mention Martyn Lloyd-Jones. he was no less a scholar than Stott but he had a tremendous influence on Reformed scholarship in the UK.

Sinclair Ferguson deserves a mention I think. Can't believe someone forgot John Murray!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back