63Obadiah
440​
64Philemon
335​
652 John
245​
663 John
219​
Does this include the titles of the Psalms?

Does this include the titles of the Psalms?

No idea, but they should have included the titles. Whether they did or didn't include them, the rank would remain unchanged. Unless they included them and then took them out. In that case, Ezekiel and Psalms would flip-flop. Right?

Doesn't that depend on whether one is Old Earth or Young Earth? :)
Almost certainly not - Genesis covers well over 2000 years in any view - even the Psalms covering the period from Moses to Ezra would be maybe about 1200 years max.

Unless the question refers to references within a book to the greatest span of time, in which case Psalm 90 which refers to "from everlasting to everlasting" has to cover the greatest span.

No idea, but they should have included the titles. Whether they did or didn't include them, the rank would remain unchanged. Unless they included them and then took them out. In that case, Ezekiel and Psalms would flip-flop. Right?
I dont know how many words are in the titles of the Psalms. If they were excluded I'd imagine including them would probably make the Psalms longest, but perhaps not.

Wow I didn't know Genesis was also longer than Psalms!
I was floored by that one too--I always seem to get through it so quick, but that's probably because of all the stories. Though I tend to get through Jeremiah kind of quickly too since I like that one so much (I actually have an idea for a screenplay floating around in my mind for it). It always takes me forever to get through Psalms : ( I wonder why that is?? Maybe the poetry is just difficult for me.

Jesus and John the Baptist, yes. Mahershalalhashbaz (Isaiah's son), yes (this is the one I thought would be hardest to remember for folk to be honest)

Solomon, and Hosea's children are all named after they are born, so you're on 3, four to go!
I wasn't sure about those last four and when I went back yeah, those were after and he just said to name them that. Though with the Jedidiah name it seems more unclear (like it doesn't really say that God told him to name him that); that one was a far left, I thought God said something about the name but couldn't remember what.

2 more just popped in my mind--after the Medes and Persians conquer the Babylonians, God says their ruler Cyrus (I think that was his name; it took me forever to recall what it was) will decree that the Israelites will be allowed to go back to rebuild the temple. I was sure at first and now I can't think if he actually names him. Then the other one that I thought God named was somewhere in Kings where God says that Josiah will burn the bones of the prophet on the alter (or something like that). I can't be sure if he actually says their names with both those people, though I thought he did.

I wasn't sure about those last four and when I went back yeah, those were after and he just said to name them that. Though with the Jedidiah name it seems more unclear (like it doesn't really say that God told him to name him that); that one was a far left, I thought God said something about the name but couldn't remember what.

2 more just popped in my mind--after the Medes and Persians conquer the Babylonians, God says their ruler Cyrus (I think that was his name; it took me forever to recall what it was) will decree that the Israelites will be allowed to go back to rebuild the temple. I was sure at first and now I can't think if he actually names him. Then the other one that I thought God named was somewhere in Kings where God says that Josiah will burn the bones of the prophet on the alter (or something like that). I can't be sure if he actually says their names with both those people, though I thought he did.
Yes to Cyrus and Josiah.

The other two are Isaac and Ishmael.

As recorded in the Bible...
  • Who was the first person to pray?
  • Who was the first person to consume alcohol?
  • Who was the first man to have multiple wives?
  • How many infants were baptized? :stirpot:

As recorded in the Bible...
  • Who was the first person to pray?
  • Who was the first person to consume alcohol?
  • Who was the first man to have multiple wives?
  • How many infants were baptized? :stirpot:

The first to consume alcohol was the elect, for how else would they know Christ's mouth tasted like wine? (SoS 1:2)

Which 7 people mentioned in the Bible were named before they were born?
Nitpicking:

Maher-shalal-hashbaz in Isaiah 8 and the three children of Hosea in Hosea 1 were assigned names by God, but not until after they were born, so I don't see why they get counted here. True, Maher-shalal-hashbaz is referred to earlier, but not as a name until after the child is born.

Cyrus in Isaiah (if you agree the prophesy was written before Cyrus' birth) and perhaps Immanuel too (if you believe the prophesy refers to a child by that name who was born in King Ahaz's day and not just to Christ) might be counted, but those mentions are predictive rather than prescriptive. So I don't know if you mean for that to count when you ask who was "named."

The answer of Solomon is one I don't get. Where is either of his names mentioned before he is born? I must be missing something.

That leaves only four that I can think of: Ishmael, Isaac, John, and Jesus. What am I missing?

Without looking, what was the town Lot wanted to flee to and why?
Begins with a Z... my understanding was that he was still clinging to the allure of the city or perhaps didn't want to be secluded. He seemingly would quickly change his mind (perhaps under conviction) and run to the hills.

The first to consume alcohol was the elect, for how else would they know Christ's mouth tasted like wine? (SoS 1:2)
:scratch:I was thinking of Noah...

Nitpicking:

Maher-shalal-hashbaz in Isaiah 8 and the three children of Hosea in Hosea 1 were assigned names by God, but not until after they were born, so I don't see why they get counted here. True, Maher-shalal-hashbaz is referred to earlier, but not as a name until after the child is born.

Cyrus in Isaiah (if you agree the prophesy was written before Cyrus' birth) and perhaps Immanuel too (if you believe the prophesy refers to a child by that name who was born in King Ahaz's day and not just to Christ) might be counted, but those mentions are predictive rather than prescriptive. So I don't know if you mean for that to count when you ask who was "named."

The answer of Solomon is one I don't get. Where is either of his names mentioned before he is born? I must be missing something.

That leaves only four that I can think of: Ishmael, Isaac, John, and Jesus. What am I missing?

You're correct about Solomon and Hosea's 3 children - they were all incorrect guesses, not included in the 7 in the riddle.

Since we know Isaiah lived about 150 years before Cyrus we can be fairly certain he delivered his prophecy before Cyrus was born.

Emmanuel I take to refer to Christ, so to include that would be double counting.

You're right, Mahershalalhashbaz is the slightly dubious one in that when Isaiah was told to write about him he was not specifically told that would be the name of a person, and only after his son was born he was told to name him that. Nevertheless I think it's fair to include that.

Your final 4 is also missing Josiah.

You're correct about Solomon and Hosea's 3 children - they were all incorrect guesses, not included in the 7 in the riddle.
Oh, good--you wrote back to clarify; I was going to say last night--"those were just my own lame guesses!" but too tired, too tired to come up with how to word that so it came out coherently.

Hey, I can't seem to find where Isaiah is named before--where is that one? (I'm sure I'll come back to that one and go--of course, how could I forget? like I did with Ishmael--was even going over the Abraham story in my mind and did not recall that--but I've come a long ways from 8 years ago when I didn't even know all the books of the Bible! It's nice for me to see my read-thrus every year or two is getting me somewhere by way of memory!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back