Fathers and Sons (Ivan Turgenev)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
[1] On one level the book is excellent, indeed almost perfectly written.

[2] Further, Turgenev is willing to critically examine his own liberal prejudices. Liberalism, as evident from the novel, is too anemic to stand against something as powerful as nihilism. This is the clash between fathers (Russian liberals) and sons (proto-Bolsheviks) as it reflects Russian society.

[3] While Turgenev lacks the power and passion of Dostoevksi, and while the latter's novel *Demons* trolls Turgenev in a way, both are prophetic. The Russian liberals wanted the end of the Tsar. What they got were death camps.

[4] I'll admit. The duel scene was funny.

[5] Only the Nazarene can withstand Nihilism.

This has been on my reading list for awhile, glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I love Dostoevsky and Tolstoy for their incredible insight into human nature and psychology (which inevitably made them suspicious of rationalism). I had held off on Turgenev as I wonder if someone who was more enthralled with Western liberalism would manage the same.

This has been on my reading list for awhile, glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I love Dostoevsky and Tolstoy for their incredible insight into human nature and psychology (which inevitably made them suspicious of rationalism). I had held off on Turgenev as I wonder if someone who was more enthralled with Western liberalism would manage the same.

Dostoevsky's worldview (leaving aside Eastern Orthodoxy) is better than Turgenev's. Turgenev is a better storyteller, though (though not as good as Tolstoy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back