Fasting (but not from Facebook!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Curtis

Puritan Board Senior
I have heard many say that they were going to "fast" from Facebook (or similar things). I thought that Tim Challies had a good response - as well as a good overview of fasting (understanding that he is probably aiming at the broadly evangelical church, as opposed to presenting a comprehensive theology of fasting). With that in mind, what are your thoughts?

https://www.challies.com/articles/fast-from-food-not-facebook

Have not read the Challies piece, but fasting is -in essence- refraining from the sustenance that our bodies need, in order to humility, acknowledging that we need the Lord more than our necessary food/drink. So, calling abstinence from something so trivial as "Facebook" (or any other unnecessary thing) is rather sad, and an insult to the biblical doctrine (I say this without ascribing ill intent to the folks who have professed their "fast").

Have not read the Challies piece, but fasting is -in essence- refraining from the sustenance that our bodies need, in order to humility, acknowledging that we need the Lord more than our necessary food/drink. So, calling abstinence from something so trivial as "Facebook" (or any other unnecessary thing) is rather sad, and an insult to the biblical doctrine (I say this without ascribing ill intent to the folks who have professed their "fast").

Well said. Taking a break from Facebook (or even giving it up altogether) may indeed be a good and beneficial thing, but it does not meet the biblical standard for a fast and should not be referred to as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back