Fantastic 4 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
Behold - The Silver Surfer!

Well, I can't actually show him - but I've just seen the Fantastic Four 2 teaser and I can say that every comic geek will soon be (going crazy) over this. I know a lot of people had issues with the first film, or outright bashed it, but I thought it was a decent, if under whelming, introduction to the characters - much in line with the first X-Men movie. So my expectations for the sequel were moderate - stoked mostly by the thought of seeing one of Marvel's great cosmic icons in live action. Now having seen the teaser, my expectations for the film have been considerably raised. This is one of the best trailers I've seen lately - and there's been quite a few (great) ones in recent weeks. I'll describe it in the following two paragraphs - so skip to the end of the post if you want to see it fresh for yourself on prints of Night at the Museum this weekend.

The cool approach that Fox has taken with this is to show a single scene - or at least an extended portion of a scene, as opposed to the usual barrage of quick cuts associated with action trailers (kind of like the trailer for last summer's The Devil Wears Prada, which I think was also a Fox film). We start at the wedding of Sue and Reed, with actor (and comic book fan) Brian Posehn as the preacher. Suddenly a silver streak splits through the sky. Reed directs Johnny to flame on and follow the object. The rest of the teaser is a high speed chase between Johnny and the Surfer.

We see the Surfer trying to shake Johnny off by using a power not seen in the comics - not to my knowledge, at least - wherein he's able to phase through solid objects (like the X-Men's Kitty Pryde or Marvel's android character The Vision). We see the Surfer phase through buildings and vehicles in an effort to outrace Johnny's pursuit. When that finally fails, the Surfer simply turns and grabs Johnny by the neck - stopping him cold. The Surfer then wordlessly flies them both to the outer reaches of the atmosphere where the lack of oxygen snuffs out Johnny's flame. The Surfer then releases Johnny, letting him plummet to the Earth as the title card slams onto the screen - and the wait for next summer just got that much longer.

In less than a minute and a half, this teaser delivered more comic book action than the entire first film so I'd say that bodes well for FF2 to make the same leap in quality as X-Men 2 and Spider-Man 2. The Surfer looks incredible, and yes, I know this wasn't horror news but I hope you'll agree that it was way too cool not to rave about.
---------------------------------

I CANNOT WAIT! I am a huge Silver Surfer fan.:up:

The first Fantastic 4 was a big disappointment. The final fight was really lame.

I thought the Silver Surfer was a good guy? Why are he and Johnny fighting?

The Silver Surfer got somewhat disillusioned with the "depravity" of man at times. Due to misunderstandings and such (a common theme in Marvel comics whereby one superhero fights another superhero), he fought with Thor (Essential SS #4), Spiderman (Essential SS #14) and the Human Torch (Essential SS #15).

The Silver Surfer got somewhat disillusioned with the "depravity" of man at times. Due to misunderstandings and such (a common theme in Marvel comics whereby one superhero fights another superhero), he fought with Thor (Essential SS #4), Spiderman (Essential SS #14) and the Human Torch (Essential SS #15).

Depravity? Silver Surfer is the Calvinist superhero! I'll be rooting for him against those wicked Arminian superheros known as the Fantastic 4. Judging from the first episode, Johnny is carnal indeed.

Fantastic....

Silver Surfer, very cool.

Trivia Time:
Can you name the Richard Gere Movie where his character references the Silver Surfer?

I wanted to see Nights but now I'm really motivated to get in there.

Quick draw...

Nice....love the little move he does at the end, little Elvis....not the greatest movie, but interesting character.

:up: :D

Yea, some theatre in California for critics got a sneak peek.

Thought the first Fantatic 4 movie was excruciatingly LAME.

I don't get that. I hear many people say it, but I've never thought every movie that hits the big screen needs to be a master peice that causes deep discussion at cafe's and book clubs. Fantastic Four was fun. It was overly "simple" but it told the basic story on the Fantistic Four with a few changes.

Yea, some theatre in California for critics got a sneak peek.

I don't get that. I hear many people say it, but I've never thought every movie that hits the big screen needs to be a master peice that causes deep discussion at cafe's and book clubs. Fantastic Four was fun. It was overly "simple" but it told the basic story on the Fantistic Four with a few changes.

I don't think every movie that hits the big screen needs to be a philosopher's paradise either really. Occasionally I like mindless escapism as well. I just happened to think that this particular film was a bit of a bore. Too predictable and all that. And the climax was a bit of a let down to me. That's all. Just didn't like it. Only my opinion, and I should add that I'm hard to please when it comes to films anyway. It annoys my wife terribly when I sit in a film and scoff at the thing.:handshake:

No worries, it doesn't anger me or anything (not that shallow) I just really enjoy Super Hero/Comic films unless they are just beyond bad (like the very first Punisher movie). I enjoyed Dare Devil and Elecrta and most people almost gag when discussing those! (lol)

No worries, it doesn't anger me or anything (not that shallow) I just really enjoy Super Hero/Comic films unless they are just beyond bad (like the very first Punisher movie). I enjoyed Dare Devil and Elecrta and most people almost gag when discussing those! (lol)

:cheers: Cool.

Yeah, you're right about Dare Devil :barfy: I'm one of those that couldn't stand it. And I refused to even give Electra a chance (I'm just a jerk like that when it comes to movies man, Not quite sure why)

Wow, another person willing to admit they enjoyed DD! Did you see the extended version Scott? It's much better in my opinion.

I'm 100% in agreement with this, I just love the comics, the superheros, and all the movies.....really, the Ralph Lungden(sp) Punisher was pathetic....but I can't think of another that I hated.....I actually thought Daredevil, Electra, and Fantastic Four were acceptable films for the genre, they can't all be Spider Man...I mean, if you think about movies in general, it's rare for one to be exceptional...I think Spider Man and Batman Begins, are the rare exceptional films in the genre, and the rest are pretty good.

I'll include the recent 007, it is an exceptional film in my opinion.(Bond is pretty much a super hero).:detective:

The ending to FF was quite lame, but the primary reason that I did not care for it that much was the needless Hollywood-style flaunting of worldliness. Yeah, you know, where the Invisible Woman loses her clothes during the bridge scene, or where the Human Torch bites the snow and shows up naked in the resulting spa. These kinds of scenes are unnecessary and immature, ruining what could be an otherwise good natured action flick.

Last edited:
Good points...

That really bugs me, being a dad, and wanting to enjoy movies with my kids, it really bugs me when they put that kind of stuff, not only in super hero flicks, but in kid type comedies. Some of these movies that are marketed for kids, and then they put sexual content, and foul language...I mean, in a R rated film, fine, but in movies aimed at kids....pathetic.

High res. picture of the surfer from the movie, YES, from the movie!

silversurferbigmw4.jpg

It's becasue I enjoy the comics is why I [usually] hate the movies. Notable exceptions:

X-Men
Batman Begins (I hope The Dark Knight doesn't flop)
Spiderman 1 (maybe)
Spiderman 2 (maybe)

I very much enjoy comics. Unless the butcher the story I normally still like the movies. Now I HATE the old Batman movies, that's for sure!

Fantastic Four 2 Products Coming
Source: A1ant December 31, 2006

'A1ant' tells us you can expect these upcoming items for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer:

Some little info on a few items coming out for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer in 2007:

1) Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Book)

Mass Market Paperback
Publisher: Pocket Star (April 24, 2007)

2) Fantastic Four: What Lies Between by Peter David (Book)

Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Pocket Star (June 24, 2007)

3) Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Video Game)

"A new third-person action video game featuring Marvel Comic's legendary super-powered foursome, based on both the long-running comic series and Twentieth Century Fox's upcoming FF film sequel."

Release: (June 6, 2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back