Famous People You have met

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea you guys considered Fred Eaglesmith (Fred Elgersma) famous or cool.

He's my cousin.

BEAT THAT!

Oh, and I got within about 15 feet of Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands when she visited Canada.

And when Gerhard Schroeder was in Beijing at the Kempinski Hotel, my boss and I walked right through his security folks and got to within about 15 feet of him too.

I also saw Ben Johnson in a Harvey's hamburger joint after he lost his gold medal.

So really, beyond a couple of near misses and a cousin I've never met, no one.

Phil Rizzuto, former NY Yankee shortstop now in Baseball's Hall of Fame
Dick Clark
Linda Smith, one-term congresswoman (R-WA, 3rd District)

I was at this Rock'n'Roll revival thing that venued at Hofstra U in the early 70's and they had this flea market. I was browsing and lollygagging in an aisle and Clark walked right up to me and introduced himself.

I had no idea you guys considered Fred Eaglesmith (Fred Elgersma) famous or cool.

He's my cousin.

BEAT THAT!

It's a small world. I knew Fred's whole family, all his brothers and sisters, his Mom and Dad. I watched Fred go from barely able to finger a chord (which may have been about two seconds, at best) to where he is today. His first song on the guitar was about me and my guitar and the one or two chords that I had just showed him. He had us all in stitches. In no time he was doing his own songs in public.

I met lots of celebrities while at Late Night:
Harrison Ford
Tom Hanks
Bruce Willis
Rick Moranis
Edward Norton
Kate Beckinsale
Steve Carell
Jim Gaffigan
Fabio
Anthony Hopkins
Antonio Banderas
Mandy Moore
Bob Sagat
Jon Lovitz
Jack Black
James Lipton
Martha Stewart
Donald Trump
Phil Collins
Jon Voight

My current roommate here in LA works for Elizabeth Taylor so I met her and Kathy Ireland through him as well as that cheerleader in the show "Heroes", Hayden Panettiere.

One of my few Christian friends in town is a gentleman named Mak Takano, he is an actor and celebrity personal trainer, he is Brad Pitt's personal trainer actually.

My editing professor is two time Oscar winner Danford Greene who edited "MASH" and "Blazing Saddles", hard to believe he won an Oscar for "Blazing Saddles" but he did.

Patricia Heaton went to Redeemer up in New York so I saw here sometimes, Robin Williams sat in front of me on Easter Sunday one year.

As for fellow Baylor alumni Angela Kinsey, I have never met her but she and her husband go to an EPC church up here in LA somewhere, I need to find it cuz I'm having foul luck with the church search.

Here is a pic of Conan and I hanging out during rehearsal before showtime, take note of my t-shirt.
photo.php

Sadaam Hussein, back in 84--he gave an award at a farm I was managing in Iraq.

I stepped on Walter Mondale's foot when he visited Montana while running for president.
Ross Perot used my office restroom when he visited Montana while running for President.
I had a burger with Al Gore.
Ted Turner asked me for directions to some land he bought far off the beaten path.
Jane Fonda, as she was getting kicked out of a steak house by the Vietnam vet owner. (We were walking in and she was leaving in an outrage).
Chet Huntley, when he was trying to get my Dad to invest in a ski project now known as "Big Sky" (a major destination ski resort in Montana).
Jimmy Buffet on the streets of Bozeman.
Peter Fonda, who lived in the area.

Lots of political wheeler dealers, because my family was heavy into politics.

Other than Sadaam, the recurring theme is Montana. The rich and famous always seem to go there and it is easy to bump into them.
The thread was for famous not infamous encounters;) :lol: .

I was a participant in 2 Karate seminars: one with Fumio Demura (where he used me to show an example of a move on). Demura Sensei was the choreographer and stunt/move double for Pat Morita in the Karate Kid series. The other was Kiyoshi Yamazaki, a Karate and Iaido (sword fighting) master who was in the early part of the movie "Conan the Barbarian" (he swung around and kicked young Conan during his training in the east).

Of course, like many of you, I've passed by R.C. Sproul at the book signing table at one of his conferences.

Oh yeah, I got to talk to Matthew Ward (2nd Chapter of Acts) after one of their concerts.

Brian

I talked to a couple members of The Oak Ridge Boys after a concert. I met and talked to Dr. Joel Neederhood. I've met, and now see everyday, my wife (she's famous with me).

One time my friend and I visited Parliament Hill in Ottawa. We were standing on the other side of drive-up because the Mounties were holding us back. Someone said that Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau was arriving. So we waited, and sure enough his limo drove up. He got out, and one of our group yelled a hello to him. He turned toward us, smiled, and waved. He ducked back into the limo a second, and then walked over to us, Mounties in tow. He shook hands with everyone there, except me. I stood back. I didn't vote for him, and it was only right that someone who did get a chance first. All I needed to do what stick out my hand, because I was that close. But others were pushing and trying to outreach me, so I let them go first. After all, I voted for the other guy.

Would someone please tell me what Jimmy Buffet was doing in Montana? He always sings about the Islands.

Jimmy Buffet sings Island music, which doesn't sell to well on the islands. They want Montanan music. But Montanans like island music.

Would someone please tell me what Jimmy Buffet was doing in Montana? He always sings about the Islands.

Jimmy Buffet, Come Monday:

Come Monday It'll be all right,
Come Monday I'll be holding you tight.
I spent four lonely days in a brown L.A. haze
and I just want you back by my side.

Yes it's been quite a summer,
rent-a-cars and west bound trains.
And now you're off on vacation,
somethin' you tried to explain.
And darlin' I love you so that's
the reason I just let you go.

[Chorus]

I can't help it honey,
you're that much a part of me now.
Remember the night in Montana when
we said there'd be no room for doubt.

I hope you're enjoyin' the scenery,
I know that it's pretty up there.
We can go hikin on Tuesday,
with you I'd walk anywhere.
California has worn me quite thin,
I just can't wait to see you again.

Okay, family history time....

nothing personal...

but my grandpa grew up with (ie., ran around, played with, got into mischief with) the Van Dyke boys...yes, Dick and Jerry Van Dyke (now to test the board censors on that one).

I saw 4 term Louisiana Governor and current federal inmate Edwin Edwards twice when I lived in Baton Rouge, once in a Burger King with his son and once when I was working at Dillards and he asked me where the Polo section was.

I met three term congressman John Cooksey when he was setting up his office here running for his first term in 1996.

I met Congressman and LA gubernatorial candidate Bobby Jindal at a church a couple of years ago and spoke to him for several minutes.

I met Ruth Bader Ginsburg while attending law school.

I don't know if they qualify as "famous" but I met Howard Phillips and Herb Titus when they were running for President and VP respectively as the nominees of the U.S. Taxpayers (now Constitution) Party in 1996.

I used to go to church with Pete Falcone who pitched in the major leagues for 10 years.

Among those I encountered but had no personal interaction with, I saw Mary Landrieu at a coffee shop in Baton Rouge once. I saw David Duke outside Tiger Stadium in 1996 at the LSU home opener promoting his 1996 campaign for US Senate. He was greeted with a chorus of boos.

There are others, mainly political figures, that I have probably met or certainly have encountered, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Back in 1989-90 I met Steve Perry from Journey while I was staying in California.

Mike Brey (Notre Dame mens basketball coach)
Bobby Clark (Notre Dame mens soccer coach)
Pat Garrity (played @ Notre Dame and now for the Orlando Magic)
Josh McDowell
Dr. Peter Wallace (he is my pastor back home... I consider him famous :))
Dr. Richard Gaffin (didn't met him but he preached @ my church so I'll count it)

Famous people in Christian circles that I have met:

John MacArthur
Michael Horton
Sinclair Fergusson
Jerry Bridges
Richard Mayhue
Phil Johnson

Geese Ausbie: He lives in Little Rock, you know.
Steven Curtis Chapman...before he was famous, he did a youth lock-in / retreat at my Church.
Calvin Miller...Seminary Prof...had lunch at Jack in the Box with him. Nice guy.
Sawyer Brown: Was on setup crew for one of their concerts in college.
Dr. W. Francis Mcbeth: If you are a band person like me, you should know him. I see him at least once a year at the state band directors conference. A legend and a wonderful, humble man.
Passed Bill Clinton at my college graduation. He was the keynote speaker. I didn't bow to him or even talk to him though.
Joe Klein: Have seen him at Corky's BBQ in North Little Rock.
My wife worked with a relative of Corliss Williamson who got his autograph on the Sports Illustrated Arkansas National Championhip edition for me.

Jimmy Buffet sings Island music, which doesn't sell to well on the islands. They want Montanan music. But Montanans like island music.

That's pretty close, but Jimmy Buffet also used to sing Montana music. Songs like Livingston Saturday Night, Ringling Ringling, and Miss You So Badly ("I guess it all blew up in Missoula") all were about Montana things. His sister is married to Tom McGuane, who lives in Big Timber. He comes up a lot.

I don't think I have meet anyone "famous" (I've corresponded with some famous PCA folks but "is that really famous"?). I don't recall if I was at the service JI Packer spoke in my old PCUS/PCA church. I suspect not but I do remember the story about a friend who cornered him in the men's bathroom over his contention that the Anglicans should get back with the Catholics (which says something about Packer and my friend). My nephews took a bike trip down to Austin last month and the older of the two who went decided to go play basket ball one morning on UT campus. He had a pick up game with Adam Sandler. My Uncle met Churchill twice during WWII (and Churchill remembered him). After the war he and his wife were on a cruise ship with Ronald Reagan, but I forget if it was wife number 1 or Nancy. My cousin claims to have met a lot of folks (Jackie Kennedy, and a lot of Hollywood types; he had some extra parts in movies in the 40s; grew up in Burbank). My niece's husband who flew private charter (now private company) jets, has flown a lot of celebrities. Tom Brockow comes to mind but there have been some Hollywood types too. My father, a geologist for Sun Oil, played cards with H. L. Hunt at the Petroleum Club in Dallas I think or at least met him there. HL would always bring a sack lunch. Later when he was a private consultant he had dealings with some of the "poorer" Hunt cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back