Famous People You have met

Status
Not open for further replies.
In no particular order; Count Basie, Steve Allen, Dizzy Gillespie, Woody Herman, Mel Torme', Heather Locklear, John Snyder (Dukes of Hazard fame), Linda Gray, Wilt Chamberlain, Archie Moore, Jimmy Rowles, Joe Pass, and many other jazz 'greats' known only by the industry followers.

You met Joe Pass, one of the 20th century's greatest jazz guitarists? I'm jealous!

I have met, shook hands, and chatted with the following:

President George W. Bush
Richard Gephardt
Roger Staubach

:D

I don't think I have meet anyone "famous" (I've corresponded with some famous PCA folks but "is that really famous"?). I don't recall if I was at the service JI Packer spoke in my old PCUS/PCA church. I suspect not but I do remember the story about a friend who cornered him in the men's bathroom over his contention that the Anglicans should get back with the Catholics (which says something about Packer and my friend). My nephews took a bike trip down to Austin last month and the older of the two who went decided to go play basket ball one morning on UT campus. He had a pick up game with Adam Sandler. My Uncle met Churchill twice during WWII (and Churchill remembered him). After the war he and his wife were on a cruise ship with Ronald Reagan, but I forget if it was wife number 1 or Nancy. My cousin claims to have met a lot of folks (Jackie Kennedy, and a lot of Hollywood types; he had some extra parts in movies in the 40s; grew up in Burbank). My niece's husband who flew private charter (now private company) jets, has flown a lot of celebrities. Tom Brockow comes to mind but there have been some Hollywood types too. My father, a geologist for Sun Oil, played cards with H. L. Hunt at the Petroleum Club in Dallas I think or at least met him there. HL would always bring a sack lunch. Later when he was a private consultant he had dealings with some of the "poorer" Hunt cousins.

poorer cousins :lol:

I once met a guy who loaned 10,000 bucks to Rick James. No. He was not famous but two points: 1. I met someone foolish enough to have given Rick James a loan! 2. Meeting someone who gave money to "Superfreak" is to my mind, cooler than meeting James himself!:coffee:

I once met a guy who loaned 10,000 bucks to Rick James. No. He was not famous but two points: 1. I met someone foolish enough to have given Rick James a loan! 2. Meeting someone who gave money to "Superfreak" is to my mind, cooler than meeting James himself!:coffee:
Don't forget that he wrote "Party All the Time" for Eddie Murphy.

You met Joe Pass, one of the 20th century's greatest jazz guitarists? I'm jealous!

We actually had a mutual friend so I got the opportunity to spend a bit of time with him on several occasions. I'm a real jazz nut and have been very fortunate to get to meet quite a few jazz heavyweights.

I've met alot more people like that than the "movers and shakers".

Musicians -

Ronnie James Dio
Dave Mustaine
David Ellefson (had lunch and dinner with him, as well as coffee on another occaison)
Ike Turner
King Diamond (a few times)
Hank Sherman (Mercyful Fate)
Jason Newstead (Metallica)
Jerry Only (Misfits)
Simon Wright (AC/DC, Dio)
Mikkey Dee (King Diamond, Motorhead)
Grip Inc.
Tourniqet
Deliverance
Dallas Toler Wade (Nile)
Peter Steel (Type O Negative)
Eric Clayton (Saviour Machine)
Brian Healy (Dead Artist Syndrome)
Robert Sweet
Scaterd Few
And some others I cant remember right now

I've also met -

John MacArthur
Steve Brown
Ray Comfort
Mike Warnke
Ann Coulter
James Akin (of Catholic Answers)
and some others that I'm too tired to remember.

I went to Jr High with Ken Caminiti, had most of our classes together...
http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/gwynn_tony/1388401.html

I've met Kitty Wells, Loretta Lynn, David Allen Coe and Minnie Pearl...

Catherine Bach, John Schneider (was a jerk, expecting fans to pay him for his autograph, when he was already being paid just to be there), Tom Wopat, Sonny Shroyer (Enos) they at concert here years ago signing autographs and meeting fans--

Margret Spurrier, she's not famous but her son is (she is a member of our church)...Steve Spurrier (football coach), and her late husband was a prominate PCA Pastor.

Jerry Vines former president of the SBC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Vines

The Late Homer G. Lindsey Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_G._Lindsay%2C_Jr.

Congressman Cliff Stearns

Johnny Moore, San Jose Earthquakes

http://www.soccerhall.org/famers/johnny_moore.htm

Richard Marks

http://www.smartmarriages.com/christian.pairs.html

Last edited:
I played guitar for Latin Grammy winner Jennifer Pena during her "Libre" tour in 2003. THe musical director asked me if I would do a bible study with him on weekends during the tour.
I also used to promote fights on a show called "Xtreme Shootout". It was UFC style fights but in a ring. I did 5 of those. I met & got to know Tito Ortiz who later became light heavyweight champ in the UFC. He came to 2 of my shows. I also met Bas Rutten, Don Frye, Frank & Ken Shamrock, Pedro Rizzo, Marco Ruas, Maurice Smith & many other fighters.
I also met Motley Crue.
As for ministers back in my Word of Faith days I got to meet Kenneth Hagin & had him autograph my bible, also Dave Roberson, Mario Murillo & Rick Renner.

When I was deployed to Iraq in 2004, back in my chaplain assistant days, our FOB sponsored a USO meet-and-greet at the main camp chapel.... so I was able to get in rather easily, and find that Rob Schneider was there. (That reminds me; I could probably email one of a couple people for a group photo a few of us took with him.) I don't think very highly of the character of his movies, but I think the better of him that he was there in Iraq to support us.

Margret Spurrier, she's not famous but her son is (she is a member of our church)...Steve Spurrier (football coach), and her late husband was a prominate PCA Pastor.

Good deal! I didn't know the 'ole ball coaches' parents were members of the PCA.

William Shatner

"Your face looks tired Mr Shatner!" shouts the pimply-faced teenager, shoving a photo to be autographed at the man.

Turning to his body guard with a sigh Shatner sighs, "My face looks tired?"

Guess who had the the Clarisil on?

I have met:
Dimebag Darrell (guitar player for Pantera)
Mark Slaughter (singer for the hair metal band Slaughter)
George W. Bush (when he was governor of Texas)
Robert Rodriguez (movie director)
J.I. Packer (took a class on the Puritans with him while at Regent)
Bruce Waltke (took a class on OT Theology at Regent)
Anthony Thiselton (hermeneutics expert - had him over for dinner and took him to Wal-Mart - Thiselton's reaction upon walking into a Supercenter for the first time: "It's so big!")
Stanley Grenz (had lunch with him)
Millard Erickson
I. Howard Marshall
Ligon Duncan (had a phone conversation with him about infant baptism)

I think that is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back