Famous People You have met

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
Here I go again with non theological chit chat
but Travis Speegle's experience with the Cone man and Max W. and Bruce Springsteen made me wonder who has crossed paths with those we consider famous.
(by the way Travis today is Max Weinberg's birthday and also my pastor is the world's biggest Springsteen fan and if I told him you went to Home Depot with the Boss he would have a downright sinful case of jealousy)

Travis you are in Waco around Baylor I wondered if you ever ran into Angela Kinsey from The Office. I just read that after attending Baylor University, she got an internship with Late Night with Conan O'Brien much like The Office co-star John Krasinski and of course Travis Speegle.

Anyway anybody got any good brushes with the rich and famous?
Just curious.

I used to use run into a bunch of them in airport situations. Buzz Aldrin the astronaut. Bum Phillips the old coach of Houston Oilers. Willard Scott and I had a good chat. George W. Bush when he was an owner of the Texas Rangers spoke with me. Jay Leno was very down to earth. Got stranded in DFW once with Stevie Ray Vaughn and his whole band once during an ice storm. And Tim Blake Nelson the little convict from O Brother Where Art Thou lost his luggage here at the Lubbock Airport at the same time my wife did and he was fairly nice considering the frustrated situation. We chatted for quite a while. All I could remember was his name in the movie was Delmar and that he done got saved and washed his sins away. Oh and Oprah and I shared a moment once at the harpo studios.

Not Rich, but Famous Albert Martin of Trinity Reformed Baptist Church of Montville... It was such an honor to meet him and talk to him but of course very intimidating I could barely speak... :smug:

I forget her name, but once I meet some big shot from the united nations who was just under kofi annan.. I did not know till after I meet her through a friend. but since it is the united nations who really cares... lol

Michael

Here I go again with non theological chit chat
but Travis Speegle's experience with the Cone man and Max W. and Bruce Springsteen made me wonder who has crossed paths with those we consider famous.
(by the way Travis today is Max Weinberg's birthday and also my pastor is the world's biggest Springsteen fan and if I told him you went to Home Depot with the Boss he would have a downright sinful case of jealousy)

Travis you are in Waco around Baylor I wondered if you ever ran into Angela Kinsey from The Office. I just read that after attending Baylor University, she got an internship with Late Night with Conan O'Brien much like The Office co-star John Krasinski and of course Travis Speegle.

Anyway anybody got any good brushes with the rich and famous?
Just curious.

I used to use run into a bunch of them in airport situations. Buzz Aldrin the astronaut. Bum Phillips the old coach of Houston Oilers. Willard Scott and I had a good chat. George W. Bush when he was an owner of the Texas Rangers spoke with me. Jay Leno was very down to earth. Got stranded in DFW once with Stevie Ray Vaughn and his whole band once during an ice storm. And Tim Blake Nelson the little convict from O Brother Where Art Thou lost his luggage here at the Lubbock Airport at the same time my wife did and he was fairly nice considering the frustrated situation. We chatted for quite a while. All I could remember was his name in the movie was Delmar and that he done got saved and washed his sins away. Oh and Oprah and I shared a moment once at the harpo studios.

I once stood next to the late jazz trumpeter and bandleader Don Ellis in a men's room once. His big band played at my high school graduation in 1970. Kinda hard to chit chat and shake hands in that situation, though.

I saw the late actress Myrna Loy once. She was filming a scene for a TV show on a downtown street in the late 1970s. She was short!

When I was in college, I once interviewed the radio personality Gary Owens (remember him from "Laugh-In"?). He was very gracious with a young and geeky college kid.

I once stood next to the late jazz trumpeter and bandleader Don Ellis in a men's room once.

Had a similar situation with Jon Voight when a movie was being filmed where I worked at the time.

The "God Is Dead" theologian William Hamilton taught at the university where I went and I took several classes from him. They were sort of philosophy classes, though not officially called philosophy. I wonder if he's still alive.

When I worked at Round Table Pizza I would take orders for Joe Montana every once in a while. It was always cool to say..."whats up Joe?"

I also met Al Martin during my RB days.
Also....

Rudolph Gulliani
Danny Glover
Madeline Albright
Janet Reno
Pete King
and in 1974 at the Bottom Line Club in NYC....John Lennon!

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II (a word in passing, I bowed)

I have had a meal with:

Dr Henry Morris Jr (now promoted to glory!)
Professor Robert Reymond

I have met
Dr James White
Phil Johnson (www.spurgeon.org)

I dunno if these guys count as famous. :coffee:

Quite a few professional soccer players here in the UK, not worth mentioning because none of you will know what I'm talking about!

See if I can get my memory working.....

Adrian Rogers
Hans Kung
Jurgen Moltmann
Tom Nettles
Jack Buck
Billy Williams
Ernie Banks
Arnold Schwarenegger
Dave Draper

.....I'm sure there are a few others. Just can't jogged my noggin this morning. Hmmm....the younger Senator from Wisconsin....can't bring up the name for some reason.

I shook hands with Johnny Bower. I chatted with Jim McKenny. But my favourite is that I taught Fred Eaglesmith his first chord on the guitar. Now he's got a grammy.

See if I can get my memory working.....

Adrian Rogers
Hans Kung
Jurgen Moltmann
Tom Nettles
Jack Buck
Billy Williams
Ernie Banks
Arnold Schwarenegger
Dave Draper

.....I'm sure there are a few others. Just can't jogged my noggin this morning. Hmmm....the younger Senator from Wisconsin....can't bring up the name for some reason.

Russ Feingold! That's the Senator. Little short guy. His sister is a rabbi in Kenosha, WI.

I think I'm going to get to meet Don Whitney next month. He will be preaching at Temple Baptist Church in Kenosha, but I'm not sure what day he will be there.

Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson were filming scenes for Anger Management right down the street from where My family lived in NJ. While I was at work, my wife took our then two kids to some place where the actors were going to intermingle with the fans/locals. Sandler requested all those with kids to come to the front. In the end he held my son and talked with my wife. He is pretty down to earth. Nicholson was off somewhere eating corn on the cob, but later drove by and waved. My wife also talked with Allen Covert. He is Sandler's friend who is in all (or most) of Adam Sandler's movies.

adam2resized.jpg

adam5.jpg

When living in Dominica as a child, my family had a few brief moments alone on a dock with Prince Charles.

In 1974, I watched Tony Waldrop set a world record for an indoor mile.

In 1976, the Olympic basketball trials were held at Carmichael Auditorium in Chapel Hill, NC, where I lived. I attended the practices and got Mitch Kupchak's autograph, among others.

Although I was raised as a Roman Catholic, I once attended a Baptist church in North Carolina and sat in front of Dean Smith. I later got the Dean's autograph from my RPCNA pastor who was his high school basketball teammate in Kansas.

Phil Ford and John Keuster visited my elementary school.

In 1987, a friend took me and Warren Martin (former 7' basketball player) to an exhibition game at the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill, NC. Warren kindly took me for a private visit to the UNC locker room after the game where I got autographs and had conversations with Jeff Lebo, J.R. Reid and others.

I later attended a game of pick-up basketball with Kenny Smith.

At a Burger King where I worked, I once served Eric Montross.

One of my religion professors at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill was Bart Ehrman.

I briefly encountered David Brinkley on the UNC campus.

I had lunch with Billy Graham at Gordon-Conwell Seminary once.

I have met Aaron Kayayan, Frank Smith, Jr., Tom Reid, Jr., and Joel Beeke.

On a sidewalk in Washington, DC, I briefly met Barbara Olson, who later died at the Pentagon on September 11, 2001.

I attended a National Press Club luncheon with Erin Brokovich.

My wife and I saw Sean Astin at the National Mall in Washington, DC, who was there apparently as a visitor / tourist.

I stood on a subway platform with David Kendall.

I stood next to Sam Donaldson last year outside my office while he was hailing a taxi.

I had a very nice 10-minute conversation with in my office with Stephen Lang.

One attorney that I worked for served as legal counsel to the Senate committee investigating Watergate and later ran unsuccessfully for a seat in Congress, but is a well-known expert in property rights litigation.

One attorney for whom I presently work is known for his work in employment law, and was portrayed in a movie by Woody Harrelson, a few years ago.

Last edited:
Andrew Myers.... :lol:

Seriously...

Ken Ham held a SMALL conference in St Peters, MO (was there, but didn't get to talk personally)

And we met who I at first mistook for a salesclerk in a homeschool bookstore, found out he wasn't, left hubby to chat with the gent while I went looking for a REAL clerk (one track mind here), only be be called back a bit later for hubby to introduce me to the mistaken "clerk" as RC Sproul, Jr. Hubby left with a stack full of Edwards and a free autographed copy of Bound For Glory.

In college I was at a local Mall with my then girl friend, now wife. We walked into an American Outfitters store and in walked Mike Mussina (then ace pitcher for my favorite team Baltimore Orioles, now a despised Yankee).

I am 6'3" and I had to look up to the guy (although his stats say he is only 6'2" ?). Like a dork, I approached him and said, "aren't you Mike Mussina?" He barely looked at me and said, "Yeah." Then I, still playing the part of dork, responded, "I heard you lived somewhere around here." He then said, "Yeah somewhere" and continued looking through the clothes.

:)

One of my sons and I got to meet Reggie White, the "Minister of Defense", about 12 years ago at a local pro-life event.

Well, I used to live in the land of the rich and famous in So. Cal.

Jonathan Winters--ver accomodating, a real hoot!
Joseph Campinella
Tige Andrews (Mod Squad)
Ricardo Montalban (consummate gentleman)
Annette Funicello (M-I-C-K-E-Y)
Chad Everett
DeForest Kelly
Pat Wayne
Numerous sports figures from the LA Dodgers, Rams, Lakes, etc.

Most were very nice, and accomodating to their fans. There was one however, who was having a bad day, Charles Bronson. Guess I caught him at a difficult moment.

Sadaam Hussein, back in 84--he gave an award at a farm I was managing in Iraq.

I stepped on Walter Mondale's foot when he visited Montana while running for president.
Ross Perot used my office restroom when he visited Montana while running for President.
I had a burger with Al Gore.
Ted Turner asked me for directions to some land he bought far off the beaten path.
Jane Fonda, as she was getting kicked out of a steak house by the Vietnam vet owner. (We were walking in and she was leaving in an outrage).
Chet Huntley, when he was trying to get my Dad to invest in a ski project now known as "Big Sky" (a major destination ski resort in Montana).
Jimmy Buffet on the streets of Bozeman.
Peter Fonda, who lived in the area.

Lots of political wheeler dealers, because my family was heavy into politics.

Other than Sadaam, the recurring theme is Montana. The rich and famous always seem to go there and it is easy to bump into them.

In no particular order; Count Basie, Steve Allen, Dizzy Gillespie, Woody Herman, Mel Torme', Heather Locklear, John Snyder (Dukes of Hazard fame), Linda Gray, Wilt Chamberlain, Archie Moore, Jimmy Rowles, Joe Pass, and many other jazz 'greats' known only by the industry followers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back