Family Devotionals

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Joseph

Puritan Board Senior
I’m seeking a good family devotional, that’s easy to follow, and/or one rooted in the WCF. Any suggestions? I’m trying to find something (or multiple resources) that’s not too dry, yet still doctrinally sound. Contemporary but still grounded in universal, biblical, theological truth.

I’m seeking a good family devotional, that’s easy to follow, and/or one rooted in the WCF. Any suggestions? I’m trying to find something (or multiple resources) that’s not too dry, yet still doctrinally sound. Contemporary but still grounded in universal, biblical, theological truth.

I use Starr Meade's Training Hearts Teaching Minds, which is based on the Shorter Catechism, with my family.

This is quite good and is succinct.

This is a great book, as is Bible Truth Explored. I use both with my children in the afternoons on the Lord's Day. They are wonderful, but not what I would characterize as a devotional. I have come to really appreciate Reformation Scotland. These are great books at a good price.

For the last few years, our family has used the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible as our primary family worship Bible. It provides a few brief points of application from every chapter of Scripture from a Reformed perspective. It is an amazing resource which I highly recommend. If the KJV throws you off, then they actually provide The Family Worship Bible Guide which contains just the devotional notes on each chapter of Scripture, which can be used with any translation. I find this valuable because, it centers on reading God's Word as a family. Not just a verse or two, but chapter by chapter. That is a worthy practice but sometimes leaves the head of a household feeling pressure to say something profitable about what was read, and they feel less than adequate. This resource provides a solution to that problem which is both simple enough for children, but also confessionally sound and full of pointed and heart-searching questions both for the converted and unconverted members of your family. I highly recommend you have them in your family worship tool kit.

Last edited:
I was given this book as a gift recently and have found it a great morning/evening devotional for my 11 and 13 year old. Daily Readings From All Four Gospels from the writings of J.C. Ryle.

For the last few years, our family has used the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible as our primary family worship Bible. It provides a few brief points of application from every chapter of Scripture from a Reformed perspective. It is an amazing resource which I highly recommend. If the KJV throws you off, then they actually provide The Family Worship Bible Guide which contains just the devotional notes on each chapter of Scripture, which can be used with any translation. I find this valuable because, it centers on reading God's Word as a family. Not just a verse or two, but chapter by chapter. That is a worthy practice but sometimes leaves the head of a household feeling pressure to say something profitable about what was read, and they feel less than adequate. This resource provides a solution to that problem which is both simple enough for children, but also confessionally sound and full of pointed and heart-searching questions both for the converted and unconverted members of your family. I highly recommend you have them in your family worship tool kit.

The Family Worship Bible Guide is terrific, but there's one flaw: there's no devotional note for Daniel 12. Somebody left out Daniel 12!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back