F.F. Bruce a Calvinist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rembrandt

Puritan Board Sophomore
I realize he was more of a 'Biblical scholar' than anything else, and I can't think of anything he wrote about systematic theology, but was he a Calvinist? Wasn't he part of the Brethren "church"? :sniff: Some of them are Calvinists in soteriology though...

Paul

Yeah, he is, at least with regard to soteriology. Dave Hunt acknowledges that in his half-baked book attempting to refute Calvinism, [i:a9bd45855f]What Love Is This[/i:a9bd45855f].

Chris

[quote:5ef19f54ca][i:5ef19f54ca]Originally posted by Bladestunner316[/i:5ef19f54ca]
Well if Dave says so:D [/quote:5ef19f54ca]

:lol::lol::lol:

Was F.F. Bruce a Calvinist? Yep.

He describes himself as "an impenitent Augustinian and Calvinist" in the forward (p. vii) of Forster, RT & Marston, VP, [i:4d4c9145a0]God's strategy in human history[/i:4d4c9145a0], Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton: IL, 1973.

Yes, FF Bruce was Brethren and in the UK that generally means that you are Arminian ... so that makes it even more exceptional that he was an "impenitent Augustinian and Calvinist". Guess a careful study of the Bible convinced him.

John Nelson Darby was a Calvinist.A.W.Pink quotes him in T.S.of God as denying free will.J.N.D.was invited to lecture at a D.L.Moody conference.Moody did not like Darby's Calvinism so he kept butting in.Darby grew frustrated and said:";;I came here for exposition,not to supply brains!";;

[quote:67d2c0bb45="Learner"]John Nelson Darby was a Calvinist.A.W.Pink quotes him in T.S.of God as denying free will.J.N.D.was invited to lecture at a D.L.Moody conference.Moody did not like Darby's Calvinism so he kept butting in.Darby grew frustrated and said:";;I came here for exposition,not to supply brains!";;[/quote:67d2c0bb45]

I thought John Darby was Amyraldian???
http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/topic/dispensationalism.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back