Extreme post-partum exhaustion

Discussion in 'Family Forum' started by Pergamum, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pergamum

Pergamum Ordinary Guy (TM)

Question to the mothers mostly:

--Is extreme post-partum fatigue even into the 6th-7th month common?

My wife cannot drive more than 20 minutes lest she get groggy. She falls asleep at the table during supper. Going to church twice on Sundays as a family wipes us out. A simple trip to the store seems a monumental undertaking right now for her.

Baby #4 was born October and she is in her late 30s. No depression....just fatigue. She tries to nap each afternoon, but says she wakes up even more tired. We did labs tests and all was good per the labs. BUT...she just can't get rested.

Smiley Gid 4.jpg Smiley Gid 2.jpg

Also, please pray.

2. BGF

BGF Puritan Board Sophomore

Not a mother, but I'll certainly pray.

3. jwithnell

jwithnell Moderator Staff Member

It's possible, especially if she's nursing. You might consider your overall situation for potential stress which can frazzle anyone, much less someone with a baby. This might sound counter-intuitive, but exercise can make a difference even if it adds to the endless to-do list and initially costs energy.

4. Miss Marple

Miss Marple Puritan Board Junior

No. Have her thyroid checked. I guess you mention they did labs but make sure they checked thyroid searching hormone (TSH) levels.

5. Edm

Edm Puritan Board Freshman

How is baby#4 sleeping? Our second had undiagnosed reflux that had him eating every 3 hours. And feedings took an hour. This was still happening at 6 months. So we were very fatigued.

6. Pergamum

He is sleeping like a baby...... no big problems...just normal crying at night.

7. lynnie

lynnie Puritan Board Graduate

Hum. I had four. I would say not normal. Maybe low grade mono?

8. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

Pergamum,

A friend of mine asked me to pass this along:

Would you please let them know that we are praying for them?

My first thought was depression...We never know when hormones will throw a post-partum woman into depression and also anxiety. Each pregnancy is unique.

Also, I agree with one of the female posters who mentioned a complete thyroid test, not just T3. I personally would ask for an adrenal test, done with saliva over 24 hours. She could suffer with adrenal fatigue and that is devastating.

Anyway, may they find answers and great comfort knowing we love them and are praying for them.

I will be praying for your wife, too.

9. Pergamum

Thank you!

10. ZackF

ZackF Puritan Board Graduate

Wasn't you're wife extremely ill a couple of years ago with Malaria or another infection? Could it be related to that? I second Mrs. Rothenbuhlr on a thyroid test in any event.

11. Jeri Tanner

Jeri Tanner Moderator Staff Member

Praying for answers and healing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Goodcheer68

Goodcheer68 Puritan Board Sophomore

Sleep apnea is a possibility.

13. solas4me

solas4me Puritan Board Freshman

Our family will be praying for you all.

14. Pergamum

Okay, tests came back...

Her thyroid levels were fine but she has very low platelets. Researching why this might be.

Also, pray for me with the kids. I've been watching them more (a lot this past week) and so discipline and schedules are lax...this demonstrates just how much my wife does and how well she does it. I took a long nap today due to a sore neck from tension due to some mild sibling snipping at each other and an over-tired girl. She does this all with a lot more grace than I do and makes it look easy.

15. Romans922

Romans922 Puritan Board Professor

Get Thyroid checked.

All details found here (i.e. don't just go to doctor and ask to get thyroid checked, they usually look test the wrong thing): http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

16. Pergamum

Did the thyroid test.. all okay.

17. 2ndViolinist

2ndViolinist Puritan Board Freshman

My sister has Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP). The bleeding disorder causes her to consistently have a low platelet count, easily get tired, and have frequent nosebleeds. Maybe it's possible that your wife has something similar and its symptoms are more prominent now than they were before?

I could be completely wrong. In any case, I am praying!

18. Romans922

Not to doubt you but did you do the correct thyroid test? My wife was tested twice for thyroid both times came back that it wasn't her thyroid.

We found a new doctor, he tested the correct things and found out it was her thyroid. She started taking meds and is now better. This is why I've provided the link above so you can do research.

19. Romans922

My wife because she had thyroid problems for many years and docs misdiagnosing her (i.e. saying it wasn't thyroid) caused her to have adrenal fatigue. Interesting fact: the thyroid, adrenals, and ovaries all effect one another closely. So if one level is off it will effect the others. In this case, it may be that your wife is breastfeeding, and hormones are at a different level than normal and so effecting the others (thyroid, adrendals).

20. Edward

Edward Puritanboard Commissioner

To quote from that site:

"Stop the Thyroid Madness LLC is a patient-to-patient informational website–i.e. ordinary individuals just like you– and it contains gathered information and articles free-of-charge on thyroid and related health topics, however no warranty is implied whatsoever about the accuracy, completeness, or specificity."

21. Romans922

And it's there because not all doctors are knowledgeable enough to test their patients for the right thing on the topic of thyroids. My wife is 1 out of 3 on doctors who tested properly, and it sounds like some others above experienced the same. If these patients have learned from 'good' doctors what to test for, it might be wise for other patients experiencing the same symptoms to seek a doctor who will test the same things.

22. OPC'n

OPC'n Puritan Board Doctor

Did you wife have preeclampsia while pregnant? This can sometimes cause a decrease in your platelet count.

23. Pergamum

Oh..okay....so, I will research this further.

--Her T4 (thyroxine) total was 8.8 (normal range is 4.5-12)
    --Her Free T4 Index (T7) was 2.6 (range is 1.4-3.8)
    --Her T3 Uptake was 30% (range is 22-35%).

Am I missing anything? Are there additional tests for this?

24. Pergamum

Her platelets are not yet under 100,000 and there is no petechia (spotting, and also no rashes or bruising).

25. Pergamum

No. All seemed well in the area of blood pressure. Her pregnancy went well.

26. Pergamum

Adrenal fatigue is top on our list of possible causes. She'll get a test next week for that.

27. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

Add a visit to an endocrinologist if not already considered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.