Exposition of John 5 -- William Gouge or William Pemble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
I have a copy of An Exposition Upon the Whole Fifth Chapter of St. John's Gospel (1630). It also includes notes on John 3.29-26; portions of Mark 1-2; Luke 2.19-20; James 4.7; Gen. 2.7, 9 and 23; Ex. 12.8, 11, 14-16; Ps. 30.2; and an exposition of portions of Eph. 5-6; all said to be "taken by a Reverend Divine, now with God, and found in his Study after his death, written with his own hand." The Dictionary of National Biography attributes this work to William Pemble. However, some titles of this work read: An Exposition of the Whole Fifth Chapter of S. Johns Gospell Taken from the Mouth of William Gouge, as He Publickly Preached Them with attribution to William Pemble as the editor. Spurgeon passes over this work in his guide to commentaries, so does Darling in his Cyclopaedia. Most biographical sketches that I have seen of both men do not reference this work at all. So...who is the actual author?

It makes sense to me that William Pemble is the author, and William Gouge is the editor, given the fact that Pemble died in 1623. But the attributions to Pemble cloud the issue. Can anyone provide some clarification?

As I understand it from the 1631 copy I have access to, the notes were taken 18 years prior to publication (i.e. 1613) by William Pemble, spoken by Gouge. The notes were found in PEMBLE's study after his death. This is noted in the "advertisement to the reader" on the first page after the title. The problem of course with the title pages to which you refer is attribution of the pronoun... "with his own hand" means apparently Pemble's, not Gouge's, hand.

As I understand it from the 1631 copy I have access to, the notes were taken 18 years prior to publication (i.e. 1613) by William Pemble, spoken by Gouge. The notes were found in PEMBLE's study after his death. This is noted in the "advertisement to the reader" on the first page after the title. The problem of course with the title pages to which you refer is attribution of the pronoun... "with his own hand" means apparently Pemble's, not Gouge's, hand.

Thanks, Todd! That is very helpful. My copy is dated 1630 and does not include an advertisement to the reader. Based on your information, I think the DNB is mistaken and Gouge is the real author. This is very good to know. Muchos gracias!

you're welcome - it's a copy from the Yale library, 1631 publication date, by John Bartlett. The advert to the reader says, in full,

These notes were about eighteen years agoe taken by Mr. William Pemble, from the mouth of Mr. William Gouge, as hee publickly preached then in Black-fryers Church, and they were found in the studie of the said Mr. William Pemble after his death. Take them therefore as here they be, and be pleased to passe by all imperfections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back